Fuel gauge not working

Holiday Rambler Neptune 2004

I had a mechanic check why my fuel gauge isn't working. He says that both the sender and the gauge in the dash are bad.

Does anyone know where I can find a sender unit and possibly a replacement gauge? I need the sender unit but I could fit an after market gauge if necessary.

Also the generator doesn't start though it did start when I bought the coach last month. I wonder if it uses a separate battery from the chassis batteries. I'm a total newbie trying to find out the ins and outs of this machine.

Thanks guys.

Norman

IMG_20210728_155034809_HDR.jpg

regarding the genset, it should use the chassis batteries for starting.  No prior experience with the fuel gauge issue.  Make sure you have at least a third tank of fuel as it will have a shut off so you can not run the tank dry while camping with the genset running.  More info on what the generator is doing would help.  turns over but does not start.  starts but quits, etc, etc.

I don't know if you get a fault code for a non-starting unit but the light in the generator switch will blink for any fault codes, then look in the manual to troubleshoot.  There's 2 sets of blinks giving you a 2 digit fault code.  Details are in the manual.

As for the fuel gauge and sending unit . . . . I might get a second opinion.  What are the odds both would go bad at the same time?

- bob

Yes, the photo of the fuel gauge above was taken with the engine off. It doesn't move from that position at all. The guy who sold me the MH said that sometimes it works, but since I have had it there has been no change.

Re the generator not starting, I turned on the ignition and pressed the lower end of the button a few times with no reaction, then it blinked 3 times and went off. When I press the top part of the button to start, nothing at all happens.

Guest Steven

I had the same problem with my fuel gauge. The tech told me my gauge and sender were bad and needed replacement. I changed the sender only and that corrected the problem. fuel gauge reads perfectly.

Steve.

2004 Monaco Windsor 40DST

Norman I'm somewhat skeptical when a tech  decides two components have failed. If you have the Centroid level sensor then I believe that it will be the capacitance variety. Your tech might not be aware of that. Those are difficult to troubleshoot in the traditional manner using a multimeter. The fuel level gauge is of the usual resistance type, 240 ohms empty, 33 ohms full and can be checked by using  resistors in a circuit to ground. 

Interesting bio. Good luck.

Thanks Harvey. I followed Bob's advice and found the fault code to be 24 which corresponds to a sensor circuit being either open or shorted. I've informed my mechanic and will take the RV back to him next week to check. I have the wiring diagram so we should be able to find out the cause.

RE fuel level, I don't want to put any more fuel in it until we've sorted the fuel tank sender out. I don't know what it involves to replace that but I suspect that removing the old sensor from a full fuel tank would be problematic.

Edited by Norman Austin

Should add one thing regarding the fuel level sensor if it is a Centroid. The unit uses a solid state board to translate capacitance to resistance. Your mechanic should be careful to not short the output leads to ground. Would imagine that the senders are spendy.

7 hours ago, Norman Austin said:

Thanks Harvey. I followed Bob's advice and found the fault code to be 24 which corresponds to a sensor circuit being either open or shorted. I've informed my mechanic and will take the RV back to him next week to check. I have the wiring diagram so we should be able to find out the cause.

RE fuel level, I don't want to put any more fuel in it until we've sorted the fuel tank sender out. I don't know what it involves to replace that but I suspect that removing the old sensor from a full fuel tank would be problematic.

Norman, I was actually suggesting that fixing the fuel sensor problem MIGHT also fix the generator start problem.

My generator manual says :Starting the Generator
Push and hold control switch in START position until the generator starts.
Release switch. On diesel models the control switch may flash up to 15
seconds, indicating engine preheat.
NOTE: Diesel models may require priming. Hold control switch in
the OFF position for one minute. Repeat if necessary. The diesel
generator fuel pick-up tube is cut to approximately ¼ tank so as
not to run the main engine out of fuel.

So maybe prime it for a minute.  Mine wouldn't start sometimes and gradually got worse until priming wouldn't start it.  Turned out the cooling temp sensor was bad.  Works beautifully now.

I just read in the owners manual that if there is water in the bottom of the fuel tank then the fuel gauge will read maximum (over the full mark) and stay there.

This is what's happening on my fuel gauge. The guy I bought it off told me that sometimes it reads correctly. I'm thinking that that might used to have been the case but in time more water has got into the tank.

I'm arranging for the tank to be drained and will report back my findings. The manual also stated that 90% of senders that are returned to the manufacturer show no faults when bench tested.

Norman, One day you are going to find yourself in the ranks of the respected RV masters when you overcome this latest challenge life has blessed you with. Then you will find yourself attending to the tired, the poor, the hungry, those of whose wives have hidden all sharp objects from.

Edited by Gary Cole

I never imagined these things could be so complicated. When I lived in the UK I had a home conversion Mercedes RV similar, though a little bigger than the one in the pic. I never had to do anything to it except empty the cassette toilet. Bliss! This is certainly a steep learning curve. That Mercedes took me from North West Scotland (Isle of Skye) to southern Spain and back several times. The only problem I ever had was a blown tire. I eventually sold it for more than I paid. That'll be hard to achieve with the Monaco - lol.

Mercedes Snapon.jpg

• 1 year later...

Moderator EDIT - MERGED

The following post(s) have been merged with a previous topic that give specific information.  In the future, it is recommended that a search be performed prior to starting a new thread. CENTROID was the parameter used in TOPICS

ORIGINAL POST>>>>I am troubleshooting my Centroid fuel center. The 1st measurement negative to positive reads 0.95V, instead of the 12.5V expected. So the troubleshooting guide says it's the fuel gauge fuse. I opened both fuse compartments on the driver's side front and don't see anything labeled even close (see pics). Does anyone have any idea where the fuel gauge fuse is on the 2008 Monaco Knight 40 DFT?

Moderator's EDIT.  Fixed the orientation of the photos. 

20221015_163653.jpg.2fe3afc3fbd90586fc5155b7a740ed91.jpg

20221015_164002.jpg.ff2c69b845b857f4329ebacdbda9d8c1.jpg