Slide out topper material

Mornin, the first thing i did was to look at a few you tube vidios and aquaint myself with the effort required, tools needed, vs time for a shop to get it in an do it, what there going to charge. Since i bought my dp i have taught myself many things, plus being bored by staying home it has givin many oppertunitys to know its a job well done. Your topper is like mine in that it extends half way over my window. The biggest issue i had when i did mine was the head of the screw brok off when i tried to unscrew it, so i used a pair of pliers an removed the rest of it. With the way covid has givin so many challanges i would call a few manufactures an see how long its gonna be before they get the replacement made an shipped to you.

56 minutes ago, stillrunning_60@hotmail.com said:

need to replace both of my slide toppers on my 02 Monaco Windsor and am looking for feedback on sources. Is this something I could do myself or is it something that I should leave to the professionals. My toppers also extent out to make awning over window.

Chris Throgmartin in Brookville, FLORIDA.  Google  him.

If that alan wrench comes loose it will be violent.  I'd tape it in place just in case.

I had the rod break inside the topper at 65mph on the interstate with the previous RV.  It instantly unraveled the topper down the side at speed.  That was fun.  Learned real quick how to uninstall a topper! 

- bob

It's not rocket science. Have you ever used a roll up window shades? Same principle. I priced replacements for my four toppers from Carefree... at a fairly hefty cost. I had to locate a serial number on each unit for a "perfect replacement". 

A friend suggested another RV shop who keep a supply of generic vinyl toppers. They simply cut to size and charge by the inch. Worked out to be 25% of the cost. Call around in your area.

If you have 2 or 3 able-bodied people, it's not a difficult job. Great videos on YouTube. Just find one to match your make and model. 

I saved hundreds! $$$

I replaced my Zipdee awning material myself. I used material from Stone Voss in brooksville, Florida- friendly people and good quality product. Mine is also the topper that extends into an awning as well. I found it a bit challenging but definitely doable if you are handy. You will need 2 people for the longer toppers. I have a 14’ and 8’ slide. 

There is probably a manual for your awnings online somewhere- I found one for mine. 

413B4CA8-8661-4151-A457-34C9AD8FDC5A.jpeg

I had Shade Pro replace all of my awning material on the entire coach back in 2009 while staying in California. Well they only lasted a few years before the thread and stitching started to come apart. The large slide-topper awning got so bad that they had to resew it in 2014 but it was a total waste of money and time.

I then found Stone Vos Inc. in Florida and ordered all new material in 2015 and had Elkart RV install the material on my way back from Alaska. Stone Vos is the ONLY shop I would trust as they have the very BEST material, they use LIFETIME thread and also do double stitching plus they have the BEST warranty in the business..

If you go any place other than Stone Vos you are simply throwing your money into the wind.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like you Dr. we had an issue with the thread degrading. I believe that our slide toppers were replaced sometime before we bought the coach in 2012. While coming east on 40 in TX we caught crosswinds that caught the awnings and caused billowing. After several attempts to secure them, we finally used bungees across the top and hooked on the other side- only 2 drivers sides. With that wind, it caused the seams holding the awning to the cap to pull out. At our next CG we took the long slide topper off and i sewed it right there. The canvas was still strong. We had sewn the bedroom slide at the start of the three month journey for the same reason. We had help with the first, our nephew is more mechanically inclined. But we were on our own with the front slide. Carrying my sewing machine is a priority! 

On 8/31/2021 at 12:03 PM, Dr4Film said:

I had Shade Pro replace all of my awning material on the entire coach back in 2009 while staying in California. Well they only lasted a few years before the thread and stitching started to come apart. The large slide-topper awning got so bad that they had to resew it in 2014 but it was a total waste of money and time.

I then found Stone Vos Inc. in Florida and ordered all new material in 2015 and had Elkart RV install the material on my way back from Alaska. Stone Vos is the ONLY shop I would trust as they have the very BEST material, they use LIFETIME thread and also do double stitching plus they have the BEST warranty in the business..

If you go any place other than Stone Vos you are simply throwing your money into the wind.

I totally agree with this post! Chris & his company are in my opinion the best for my RV! Top quality materials, knowledge & service. I have done it myself & I could save money but I would rather drive from Virginia & have Chris do it rather than to do it again myself - regardless of the money saved.

Bart from VA