Roof Cleaning

Guest bobstromain

Guest bobstromain

Our coach is stored under trees.  The front half of the roof gets black.  Any suggestions for a cleaner that won't run down the sides and cause streaks?

It's been this way for 17 years.  I was on the roof of a friends coach and it was snow white So I thought that maybe there is a magic product out there.

Bob St. Romain  04 Windsor

16 hours ago, Jim Bob said:

I think just magic elbow grease is what most people use.  I invested in a cover and it is a wonderful thing.

In the past our coach was parked outside but not under any trees, although it was dirty it was manageable.  It took me two days on my hands and knees scrubbing with a brush and soapy water,  I then applied Zep Floor polish, this supposedly was the cure for the white streaking.  Worked for a little while but not really a "cure". 

Fast forward, moved to a new house and the coach was parked mostly under trees.  This took it's toll on the roof.  Finally was able to build a garage and decided to tackle the roof.  We have a small electric pressure washer and a rotary head something like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-Pro-Greenworks-12-in-Surface-Cleaner/5001554475  , this worked great, it took off the accumulation of build up pretty quick and I was able to work around the AC's, vents, solar panels pretty good.  Did use a small tip on some areas. 

I then applied two coats of Rustoleum Topside paint. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-Marine-Coatings-White-Semi-Gloss-Enamel-Oil-Based-Marine-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-32-fl-oz/3111185   it took ~2 quarts.  I taped off the perimeter edge, used a small brush for tight work but applied most of it with a 6" foam roller.    This was about 4 months ago.  I did take a ~5 week trip, the paint seemed to hold up.  Time will tell if it lasts.  

• Like 1

Bob, I think the above comments on elbow grease and the Dicor products are on track.  I remember ChrisT, at one of the Monacoers Gatherings, going over this process and his products of choice was Dicor.

I remember he said he did it himself and it worked on the old body. I think he used their clean and prep and the coating, and said it was a great product to do what you want.  It is still going to get dirty around trees, but easier to clean.

You might give Chris a call at TalinRV.  He would give you good advice.

• Like 1

Not the easyest job but I clean my roof 2xs / year. I'm parked in the open and no trees. Very definetly will need to clean all sides after roof cleaning. 

James, after cleaning your roof did you use a primer before painting. I need to paint real soon. Waiting for a little cooler weather.

No primer, I did take some 200 grit sandpaper to scuff up the roof, taped off the perimeter and painted.  The pressure washer really did a good job, I was pleasantly surprised.  Cleaned one day, backed it into my garage, let it dry overnight painted the first coat the next day and then waited to paint the 2nd coat on the third day. 

Roof.jpg

• Like 1

The original post was asking for something that would not run down the side and stain them.  I did my roof the spring that Covid hit.  Had to find something to do.  I used the Dicor products, but they will most certainly stain metal and the sides.  The instructions state that you should tape off and hang plastic around the sides.  I did not realize the cleaner would affect the metal and did not protect the ladder, etc.  Anyway, it is a long and fairly difficult process and timing is important also unless you have a covered area to work.  First you remove all the old caulk, etc.  Wash the roof, sand the roof, wash the roof again.  Then paint with their fiberglass paint, but you can't let any water on it for about 10 hours...  that is where the timing comes in.  In order, to wash the roof and get it dry, then paint it two coats with drying in between then no water including dew... it can be a challenge.  The end result was very nice...  my fiberglass had some very small checks in it and the sanding and painting really filled those in nicely.  Also, be careful up on a slippery roof!!! 

• Like 1

Funny, someone asks about washing their roof, and everyone want's him to paint it 🤔!

Even if he painted it, it will still eventually need to be washed, then the walls will need to be cleaned!

One thing that may work ( I've never had the ball's to try it), is ask your wife to follow you around the coach with another hose, washing the detergent off the walls, as it comes off the roof.

Water full of detergent drying on the walls is usually the biggest problem. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, that's what the door to door RV washers use in the large parks down south. 

Guess they are usually somewhat careful around your sealant, but it's up to you to ensure it's in good shape. I had mine done once, and just requested they didn't blast gallons of water into my engine air intake.

When we do roof renovations at our shop we powerwash the roof. We scrub the roof using a heavy concentration of Dawn 4X detergent. We then completely rinse the roof using the powerwasher. Dawn is a powerful cleaner that wont effect paint and l;eave stains down the sides of the coach. We then wash the coach immediately afterwards.

After the roof is dry the coach owner then selects what process he wants. If the paint or fiberglass is in good shape we apply a heavy layer of Aerospace 303. If the fiberglass or paint on metal roofs shows aging then we paint it using Dicor products.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 7:10 AM, throgmartin said:

When we do roof renovations at our shop we powerwash the roof. We scrub the roof using a heavy concentration of Dawn 4X detergent. We then completely rinse the roof using the powerwasher. Dawn is a powerful cleaner that wont effect paint and l;eave stains down the sides of the coach. We then wash the coach immediately afterwards.

After the roof is dry the coach owner then selects what process he wants. If the paint or fiberglass is in good shape we apply a heavy layer of Aerospace 303. If the fiberglass or paint on metal roofs shows aging then we paint it using Dicor products.

Chris,  I know the 303 is great for UV protection but doesn't it need to be applied again in maybe 6 months, or sooner if left full time out in the open, to keep the roof from chalking up and streaking down the sides again?  How long will the Dicor painting process protect and keep the roof from chalking up again?

Just another opinion here.  Having lived in Florida most of 70 years and owning/maintaining fibregalass boats it amazes me that folks try to constantly re-invent the wheel on this issue.

A.  there is no permanent solution under constant sunlight unless you have NASA dollars.

B.  Our coaches came with unpainted roofs so when the gelcoat..that very thin gloss coat first applied in a mold wears off you WILL have chalking.

C.  All coatings you apply will have a terminal life based on prep aand product.

D.  Marine coatings, time tested, will last longer than wax, miracle fluids, coatings made for mobile homes, etc.

E.  All boils down to how often you wish to do it over a again yourself or pay for hopefully a good job. 

I just re-painted mine with Rustoleum Topside after seven years ( maybe could have gone one more) all outside life with first topside paint.  Day one prep and dry.  Day 2 Tape and  brush cut in and roll.  Day 3 second coat roll.  Day 4 pull tape.  Done for seven more yaers...TOO old by then so someone else will be doing it.

Just like mileage your expericence/choices will be different. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Twomed said:

Day one prep and dry.  Day 2 Tape and  brush cut in and roll.  Day 3 second coat roll.  Day 4 pull tape.  Done for seven more yaers...TOO old by then so someone else will be doing it.

That's what I'm hoping, that's why I just did the Rustoleum Topside 😄

Edited by jacwjames

• 8 months later...

My 38' motor roof looks like new after a few hours of working with Camco's RV roof cleaner. The cleaner removed aged dirt with ease. Then I put on 2 coats of primer 2 and the roof looks like new! It looks like I tried everything on the market until I found this one. I will stick with it.