Ride height linkage rubber end big cracks

I have been chasing an air leak that allows our new to us Scepter to list to port (driver side) as the air tank pressure drops to around 70 psi. Lots of time under the coach and I noticed cracks in the rubber of the end links. Could not find just the ends so bought 3 complete kit. My local truck shop had them a bit less than the find my parts type place. I pulled the old ends of the old rods and installed the new ends on the old rods. The new rods allow up to 20" between the end link bolts and would have had to be cut. The original equipment linkage uses a clamp similar to what is used on PEX. It was not obvious until I had the linkage off. Preventive maintenance can really keep you out of trouble. Not sure how long the left badly cracked end link would have lasted. If it separated, the coach would probably have expelled all air from the driver side bags and been on the stops pretty quick. 

HRS air ride links.JPG

7 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I assume that these are the fittings that are attached to the top of the Ride Height Valves, correct?

A photo would be beneficial.

These are the same for top and bottom. I carry a complete rod set from Napa in case one got ripped away by road trash or such.

Screenshot_20210917-093208-446.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

What preventive maintenance is suggested? Is there a way to keep the rubber from cracking?

Gary 05 AMB DST

I haven't touched them and mine are still good after 20 years and nearly 200k miles. I carry a spare for just in case just like number of other parts that I may never need... They are made of hard rubber, not much I could do for them.

• Like 1

The parts shown above are slightly different than mine but should work correctly. The truck shop had both. The ones I got are Hadley, the same as the air height valves. There have been a few post about spraying with 303 protectant. would not hurt.

Top of link where rubber end, circled in picture, is bolted to lever of air height control valve .  Valve is to the left. rubber end at bottom of linkage (not shown) attaches to bracket on differential. This bracket is vertical, about 10" long and has 5 or so holes. The bolts thru the rubber end are shoulder bolts were the shoulder pulls up against the steel lever or bracket. the body of shoulder bolt is long enough that the sleeve inside the rubber end is free to rotate as the lever moves up and down with the body of the motorhome. This position is probably with the air bags deflated.

HRS air ride link at valve.JPG

• Thanks 1