Cummins 400ISL Oil Change and Transmission Service

I have an appt Monday to take my Camelot to the local truck repair place to change the oil, oil filter, trans filters and fluid, grease, put the 2 new belts on I bought but didn't put on.

Also they said they'd try to fix my generator crank but no start problem. On top of that last time I started the cummins and put the dash air on the compressor never would engage so I'm asking them to look at that also. It worked before, not sure what could have happened with it just sitting here in my driveway.

My question is: Is there any reason they'd need to access the engine through the hatches in the bedroom and bedroom closet? I'd just as soon not have them inside pushing slide buttons and such things. Or carrying oil through the entire motorhome.

I have a side radiator and I see a oil fill right on the motor when I look in. I've read it might be slow to fill it there though. Do they fill the trans through the dipstick tube?

The belts are right in front of them, no need for them to go inside for those.

They said to leave it but I'll probably stick around awhile, just wanting to be prepared.

Edited by FishAR

Transmission fill would be my only question.   If there is a fill location on the bottom you should be fine, if not they may have to fill from the bedroom hatch. 

Just ask them how then intend to fill the transmission, they may have a fancy gizmo that pumps it in from below.

• Like 3

My generator had a habit of not starting due to lack of fuel caused by a dirty fuel filter, coded 3-6 after failed start... might be your crank but no start problem.    https://www.rvandplaya.com/onan-generator-fault-code-36/

Moving blankets on flooring and beds and couches before taking it to them would be a good plan..... just saying...

Edited by Cubflyer
correction
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, vito.a said:

Our transmission dip stick and filler tube are under the bedroom hatch.  

Also, be careful what transmission fluid they use.  Most commercial truck places do not use Allison Transynd as it is priced very high.  

Believe I have both. Above the trans, and in front of the engine.

The name of the game is "Communication".  Call the dealer before arriving, talk to the service manager telling him what you expect with your service.  At the write up desk, request in writing what you need/want.  Talk to the technician before he starts the service to make sure he understands what you want.  If the dealer does not honor your requests, go to a dealer who will.  Then take a drive before paying to make sure everything works.  

Motorhomes are more difficult to work on.  Many shops assign their newest technician to service a coach.  Stay with the coach to watch the service performed.  Carry a fold up chair so you can sit at the stall opening to watch.  If they do not like that, take your business elsewhere.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

41 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

Motorhomes are more difficult to work on.  Many shops assign their newest technician to service a coach.  Stay with the coach to watch the service performed.  Carry a fold up chair so you can sit at the stall opening to watch.  

I guess bringing a 6-pack would be a no-no 🤔.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

Not unless you want to be a DWI candidate on the way home..  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Definitely don't need that. I'm still on my class b "learner's permit", I just found out I need a special license to drive this thing a few weeks ago.

OP, unless you’ve moved from Fla, you do not not need a B. You can drive a non commercial Motorhome with a regular Fla license. If it’s tagged in a business then yes a B.

Makeup oil for the tranny requires the hatch in the bedroom opened… not the one in the closet.

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
5 hours ago, FishAR said:

I'm still on my class b "learner's permit"

Never heard of that.  How long can you drive with it?

13 hours ago, Ivylog said:

OP, unless you’ve moved from Fla, you do not not need a B. You can drive a non commercial Motorhome with a regular Fla license. If it’s tagged in a business then yes a B.

Makeup oil for the tranny requires the hatch in the bedroom opened… not the one in the closet.

I'm still a resident of IL. Just spend the winters in Florida.

9 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Never heard of that.  How long can you drive with it?

A year, if I don't take the driving test before then I have to pay and take the written again.

I have to have a correctly licensed person with me while I'm driving on my learner permit, "wink wink nod nod"

I'd bet half or more of big motorhome drivers in IL don't have this license. I've seen them argue to the death about it on other forums.

One of the first things the IL Non CDL Rules of the Road says is RV's Are Exempt. But then if you keep reading on down past the school busses and fire trucks it says UNLESS...over 16,000 pounds class c, over 26,000 pounds class b, I have a class d.

I guess I was illegal the 3 years I was yanking my Montana fifth wheel around behind my dually.

I was having a cracked exhaust manifold replaced on my motorhome. A rear radiator 2003 Beaver. They have to access some of the bolts from the access hatch in the bedroom. I bought enough thick plastic carpet runners to go the length of the motorhome. Pulled out the mattress before taking it to them. I had replaced the gaskets myself about five years ago and knew what they were up against. There is no way the mechanic can go through the motorhome without getting up against stuff. Just cover anything they might get up against with a towel or something. Any little prevention goes a long way. When I picked it up the mechanic saw me and came out and thanked me for taking the precautions I did. Just roll up carpet runner and store it till next time. They usually can not slide out rooms in the shop so imagine walking through there over and over with the rooms in. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

• Thanks 1

Dropped it off at 8:30 Monday morning and haven't heard anything since. Feeling a little nervous about the whole deal so I'll go up there today and see what's going on.

I seriously doubt they worked on it for 2 full days, if I thought so I'd also be very nervous about the bill.

Most of what you described you needed done is cut and dry. 

But the Generator no start and AC not working could be a black hole depending what they find both for time and parts. 

Dropping by and talking to the shop foreman would be a good idea. 

When I had to have my radiator replaced I went in a number of time and had multiple phone calls.  But I knew the shop manager and told them to take care of me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FishAR said:

Dropped it off at 8:30 Monday morning and haven't heard anything since. Feeling a little nervous about the whole deal so I'll go up there today and see what's going on.

I seriously doubt they worked on it for 2 full days, if I thought so I'd also be very nervous about the bill.

Dropping off your coach for service and not staying with it might move you to the bottom of the list.  If another coach comes in for service with the owner willing to wait while the work is being done might have priority in many shops.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

• Like 1

Not a good Camelot day. For starters I got the title back and the know it all old hag at the dmv that gave me so much trouble managed to get Monaco Camalot on the title. Can't read, spell, or type and also sucks at public relations. Just a small aggravation I guess.

Went to the truck shop to see why I hadn't heard anything. I get "we had to drop the pan to see what filters the transmission took so we could order them, you've got your allison 1000's, 2000's,3000's. I was just getting ready to call about where they were at."

I said It's a 3000, I told you all that.  I've got a printout of every filter and fluid that goes in that motorhome laying on the kitchen table. I was trying to explain that and other things about what I wanted done to your guy when I brought it in but he let me know you all were experts and my input wasn't needed. So you all really haven't done anything yet.

"No sir but we're right on it as soon as those filters arrive, we want to do it all at once"

I said Well you've got my number so how about giving me a call about progress every now and then. This was supposed to be 2 days, this is 3 days already. 

-----------------------------------------------------

I'll do things different next time for sure.

Yup, that's what happens when you deal with a big shop that has business all day long. 

Live and learn. 

I have a guy that I use for all my automobile repairs that I can't/won't do.  Great to work with and very reasonable.  A couple years ago the starter on my Jeep was gong out, I bought a new starter and intended to do it myself but needed some specialty tools that I didn't have.  Drove the Jeep over there, he wasn't there, just put a note on the door that the starter was in the front seat.  He called my that afternoon said it was done.  Don't know why but he doesn't want to charge me enough money so I always give him more then he asks.  He's never let me down.    Once you find a good shop/mechanic you've got to keep them happy. 

Just the opposite if you find a bad shop, you never go back and tell others of your experience.

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 3

Even though the “new” SpeedCo is not as RV friendly, it’s still a good alternative for oil changes. No need to take up the shop foreman’s time or talks to the men doing the work…pretty sure they can handle it.

1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

Even though the “new” SpeedCo is not as RV friendly, it’s still a good alternative for oil changes. No need to take up the shop foreman’s time or talks to the men doing the work…pretty sure they can handle it.

If my memory serves me correct, I think Allison came out with a new longer lasting filters.  I do know that Allison considers that their transmissions in a motor home as light duty.  I would be concerned about a shop that recommends dropping the pan to change out filters that has their own external port.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

I wouldn't let anyone service an Allison Transmission except an Allison Transmission shop. Last time I had mine done they let me sit in the motorhome and read the paper. Filters and all the oil Took about an hour. That is all they do is Allison Transmissions. The Allison in a motorhome is the same one used in garbage trucks. Bulletproof but does need to be serviced on a regular basis. Find a shop that does only Allison Transmissions. 

• Like 3