TDS fuel card

Pilot and Flying J aren't part of the program, so no discount.

You need to use it in the truck lanes only at T/A, Petro or Love's.  There's also an app to download for your phone with maps & prices.  Go to your app store and look for 'TSD Open Roads' with a green money bag for the icon.  Highly recommended.

- bob

Edited by cbr046
  • Like 2

Sometimes the discount will not show up until it is processed in your next statement and you can ask the gas attendant to run the card to make sure it is accepted at the pump. I had this issue come up before. If you have issues, there is a toll free number to call before you purchase gas. They are very helpful.

Ive used mine 6 times so far and unless I write down the price at the pump, I have no idea how much I’m saving cuz the bill does not reflect the price at the pump. I do know that after most of my fill-ups, the next out of program fuel station is selling at the same price of my discount. Thats been a little frustrating. 

1 hour ago, gregolson65@yahoo.com said:

Sometimes the discount will not show up until it is processed in your next statement and you can ask the gas attendant to run the card to make sure it is accepted at the pump. I had this issue come up before. If you have issues, there is a toll free number to call before you purchase gas. They are very helpful.

If you're pumping the card is accepted.  You determine the cost/gal through the Open Roads app (maps).  After a business day or two you can 'View Transactions' and how much is debited. 

55 minutes ago, Gary M said:

unless I write down the price at the pump, I have no idea how much I’m saving cuz the bill does not reflect the price at the pump. I do know that after most of my fill-ups, the next out of program fuel station is selling at the same price of my discount. Thats been a little frustrating. 

I take a photo of the pump after I'm done pumping along with the pump price in my fuel log.  When the transaction appears in my account (or by logging in to my bank) I calculate my true cost / gallon and how much I'd saved. 

- bob

Edited by cbr046
  • Like 1

We have used the card at least 20 or more times this year.  You can find the best discounts on the app on your phone, there are big differences in where you go or what state to fuel in.  I take a picture on my phone after I pump and usually by the time we are pulling back out of the station, we can see on the transactions area of the app, exactly what we have paid.  Very convenient.  I, before this year primarily used Pilot/Flying J with the Good Sam card, but they aren't even close now.

13 minutes ago, Hypoxia said:

TSD has not been a good deal for us since mid-late summer, I don't know if their contracts changed or what happened.  I have used them frequently for the last 2 or 3 years.

What has been better?  We have pumped over 2000 gallons of diesel this year and they are winning so far.  If there is something better I would love to know.  Thanks

Edited by willbo777
  • Like 1

I don’t want to sound like a jerk, but you really should read the instructions and follow them to take advantage of the savings. Download the app, there are two of them, I like the original one and I can see what stations along my route offer the best price and I see my transaction details as soon as I’m climbing back into the RV.

Best of luck to you!

I have a TSD card I use about 50% of the time the other 50% of the time I use an app called mudflap. It’s basically the same thing as the TSD card but you don’t have to give them your checking account information unless you want to. If you go that route it’s only about a 1% savings so I don’t bother with the checking account I just let them run it through my credit card. I found out about mudflap when pumping gas I was next to a trucker and he showed me his app and how much he was paying for gas it was about $.10 cheaper than I was paying with the TSD card.  

1 hour ago, willbo777 said:

What has been better?  We have pumped over 2000 gallons of diesel this year and they are winning so far.  If there is something better I would love to know.  Thanks

I'm way behind you with around 1300-1400 gallons this year.  Every state is different.  Right now TA/Petro in Eloy Arizona is $3.35 but I got it down the street a couple of days ago for $2.99 and then subtract 5% for the credit card.   In Gallup NM I went across the street from TA as that truck stop retail price was lower than TA TSD price.  I passed by TA Cheyenne & Laramie as another station was much lower price.  Earlier I found TA El Paso and Youngstown OH to be the best deal as well as a few other places we went to.

Great info especially on the mudflap info.  I realize the mechanics of getting best price but I figured I'd get something and they were very convenient. I didn't expect zero discount.  I've been finding on my return trip cross country back to the left coast that it's wiser to shop gas buddy before hand the street had become more competitive since the steep increase in diesel. Thanks all 

• Thanks 1

Haven’t bought fuel from Pilot/FlyJ in 13 years…ever since they became the same company. Maybe 1 in 10 fill ups I use the TSD card and have yet to use my $10 credit on Mudflap as I can find equal or better price using GassBudy plus additional 5% using my Sam’s credit card.

Probably 7 in 10 I fill up at Sam’s as they usually have a better price than TSD or Mudflap. Yes, it takes longer to fill and run my card 4 times, but I clean the windows and do a walk around temping all tires and bearings.

Like others, I take a picture of the pump when finished when using TSD…price has always been what the app showed it should be.

• Like 1

I've been using the TSD card for about two years. You DO NOT see the discount at the pump. I get an email from TSD (usually the next day) stating actual costs.

The one I attached is real. Hope this helps.

TSD Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 21.04.00.png

24 minutes ago, Ron Jones said:

I've been using the TSD card for about two years. You DO NOT see the discount at the pump. I get an email from TSD (usually the next day) stating actual costs.

The one I attached is real. Hope this helps.

TSD Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 21.04.00.png

I agree with getting a receipt with my actual cost, but unless I write down what the pump price is, how do you know how much you are saving and like in my experience so far, I’ll pull into a TSD in group fuel stop advertised that I am heading to. Fuel up, pull out and low and behold right down the road a fuel stop out of the TSD group is selling at my discount price or lower. I guess I need to incorporate another fuel app to compare before I use the TSD fuel stop.

6 hours ago, Capt Mike said:

I don’t want to sound like a jerk, but you really should read the instructions and follow them to take advantage of the savings. Download the app, there are two of them, I like the original one and I can see what stations along my route offer the best price and I see my transaction details as soon as I’m climbing back into the RV.

Best of luck to you!

I cant find the second App. I have the money bag App. That would be great to not only see multiple prices ahead to fueling up.

Edited by Gary M

6 hours ago, Capt Mike said:

Best of luck to you!

^^^^ What Mike said... the app is TSD Open Roads.  Plan your fuel stop before you hit the road top of your day using the map built into the app.  Save 30-80 cents off the pump price less well-documented fees.  Get an email and/or use the app to see the details.  Don't expect a blanket discount at just any truck stop you choose (TSD discounts only apply to stations shown that have the negotiated rate).  It's not a credit card... more like a debit card against a bank account that you designate.  It works.  It's real.  It saves money.  There's space to manuever a 50-60 foot plus rig (all stations are truck stops).  The pumps are fast flow.  What's not to like? 

25 minutes ago, Steve P said:

It works.  It's real.  It saves money.  There's space to manuever a 50-60 foot plus rig (all stations are truck stops).  The pumps are fast flow.  What's not to like? 

An attractive attendant bringing an ice cream to my rig after every fillup would be nice . . . .

- bob

• Like 2

I hadn't heard of the Mudflap app until now, I will check that out.  I am a truck stop or truck pump type guy.  I like the ease of getting into the pumps, and the fast pumping and not having to run my card numerous times.  I do on occasion, but try to avoid it.  Believe me if we pulled off to a TSD location and saw a truck stop across the street for less, we'd go there, but to wander around looking for Sam's or Costco or some such just isn't going to happen.  That is just our feeling.  TSD has really thrown Pilot/Flying J Good Sam out of the market, at least for now, they are not even close.

13 hours ago, KevinH said:

I have a TSD card I use about 50% of the time the other 50% of the time I use an app called mudflap. It’s basically the same thing as the TSD card but you don’t have to give them your checking account information unless you want to. If you go that route it’s only about a 1% savings so I don’t bother with the checking account I just let them run it through my credit card. I found out about mudflap when pumping gas I was next to a trucker and he showed me his app and how much he was paying for gas it was about $.10 cheaper than I was paying with the TSD card.  

I am reading over Mudflap and it appears go have to go inside, is that correct?  That is a downside for me, but if it saves $.50/gal, I could make an exception:-)

Mudflap requires getting a code and taking it in before pumping.
“What's
 not to like? “ The price! I have a 2 mile limit out of the way for fuel and 5 mile for Passport America CGs. Currently the best TSD price on my usual route West is $3.14 before KCity. The Sam’s there (half a mile off my route, first picture) is $2.79 less 5%=$2.65. Using TSD $475 verse $400 at Sam’s…$75 savings and I didn’t have to wonder around looking for it…that’s what Google Maps is for. I do send the DW in to buy our $3 lunch while I’m fueling.

I admit I like the challenge of putting my rig where many would not. If you can’t get into these fuel islands, how do you get into a CG site, even a pull through…2nd picture.

64259A5D-AA4A-4F1C-9F45-6363598A5B9D.jpeg

181AD9BC-5E94-4CA9-9A6C-F45066090E3A.jpeg

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 1

It is strictly a choice.  I don't choose to go into Sam's etc, especially with slow pumps and 4 inserts of a credit card.  Each to his own but to ask if I can get into a campsite or even a pull through is a bit much, me thinks.  I've only been doing this for 30 years and full timing for 17 so I will have to work on those things.  And furthermore it sounds like you have a particular route you drive, we don't, we vary our travels each year and do at least 12,000 miles, mostly off the interstates.

We use the TDS card also. I just depends on what station you go to as to weather there is a discount or not. But I do like not having to go in to the store to start the pump. With the TDS card can just start the pump by swiping my card. And I prefer the truck stops to get fuel. Faster pumps and easier in and out. 

• Like 2

Don’t get me wrong, compared to what you’ve been paying for years, the TSD card is a great improvement. Pilot/FlyJ, Loves, TA did me a favor with their high prices… haven’t used In 13 years. GasBuddy has saved me thousands of dollars over the last decade while many have been hosed by them. The only vote I have is my wallet and I choose to not reward them now plus 90% of the time I can beat the TSD price by a substantial amount. 
Ben Franklin said $1 saved is $1 earned but today I have to earn $140 to have $100 to spend after all the taxes we pay today. That $75 savings above is actually over $100.