Compressed Air Systems

TommyL

08 camelot tag . Had governor intermittent problems. Wouldn’t pump past 40 psi. Sprayed a little silicone in intake port hasn’t been a problem since. Still losing air overnight so I started checking for leaks. Found a few small ones and fixed. Adjusted governor  from 95 to 115 purge . While staring at the air gauges noticed pressure would drop back to cut in pressure in about 2min. No air being used. That big a leak I should hear! I’ve sprayed everything including drain valves. I’m down to bleeding back through dryer or governor maybe that’s why I can’t hear it. The kicker I air system up from shop air, so I can hear.It took 3 hours to loose 10 psi. Yes shop air unhooked.I’m scratching my head any thoughts.

• Like 1

Thanks G hope not. Compressor airs up quickly, dryer filter clean,2 years old. Purge housing clean internally. Seems to unloading normally, hate to throw parts at it , may bypass dryer if that doesn’t do I’ll try to figure out how to test the governor for leaks or just replace. It’s a hrs drive for a gasket,might as well put a new one on.

I would replace the air governor, it’s the cheapest part in the system. They should be about 20-30 bucks!

Also, it’s giving you a warning shot that it might need to be replaced, heed the warning………

Edited by Jdw12345

Check the purge line at the air dryer. Mine was continuously leaking air out of it causing a leak. Will only happen after your dryer discharges. Woukd make sense that after the dryer fires your loosing air. The turbo saver valve in your dryer may not be sealing properly.

Air up check line at dryer after it discharges. Should be a push fitting pop the line of and see if it's leaking. 

Also if it's not sealing you would be able to build past 40psi

Edited by Romeo84

When my rig started loosing air it was a cumulative issue.  For some reason every one of my PPV's started leaking,  when I first noticed the air loss I crawled underneath with a bottle of soapy water and found the leaks pretty fast.   At one point my rig would loose enough air for the low alarm would come on after being shut down for ~30 minutes.  I was able to maintain enough air to safely drive but it bothered me enough to cut my trip short and head home where I dove into my system and replaced all the PPV's and other parts that had parts that could fail such as check valves etc. 

Not sure what caused it but I did find that they were all installed from the factory upside down.  When I removed and took them a part all the spring and plates were very  corroded.

My rig will now hold are for +2 weeks. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks J    I did spray Ppv s ,fittings,hoses,tanks,everything except air lines in bundle but that doesn’t mean I didn’t miss something! What’s got me stumped is if I air up with coach it losses to cut in Psi in about a min . If I air up with shop air then disconnect  from shop air,I loss 10psi in 3hrs .

Good morning.

Still working on the same problem. Found two air tanks in the ceiling of the passenger side compartments. Used dish soap and water in a spray bottle and soaped all of the joints. Wow, looked like a bubble factory! There are several brass swivel 90’s going into the tanks and all were leaking. All but one were fixed by a slight rotation of the swivel fitting, one wouldn’t stop leaking. Found the fitting at NAPA, 1/2”MIP X 5/8” tubing swivel 90. Replaced the 90 all good. Still have leaks but this was a major find.

Good luck.

There was a recent post on IRV2 with a rig that had an intermittent problem initially but left him stranded on the side of the road.  Had multiple tech and shops look at it.  They changed the governor and dryer, which evidently the previous owner had neglected to service.  But the ultimate fix was a new air compressor.   This was a long drawn out journey with lots of people making suggestions.  

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/stranded-in-georgia-566561.html

Update.  New governor didn’t help.Will bypass dryer ,if it system holds it’s the culprit,if it doesn’t I’ll keep looking! Compressor seems fine airs up quick,dryer is spotless inside. Not sure how it could lose air through compressor unless check valve in dryer is malfunctioning 

Super curious to see what happens when you bypass dryer. Did you ever pop off the governor cut-off line from the dryer to the governor?

That's where mine leaked. You could hear it as soon as you disconnected the line.

Took it off AM before I bought new governor.No leaks put new one on anyway. Bypassed dryer aired up and bingo rock steady at 115psi for last 30min. I guess it’s time for a new dryer .300.00$ plus 30.00 shipping and a week away. I’m at Lake Eufaula  Ok. Will have to drive to  big city. Could rebuild but I never saw a leak on any exterior orfices. Wouldn’t know were to start. Wife buys things over the air l never have I’ll let her look .

Bummer. Figured as much though. Maybe rebuild it. Kits usually come with a new filter and are super easy. Downside is if you have it off why not just replace it lol. Don't go cheap though buy from a reputable company.  The air dryer I bought was not and was defective. Returning it after install was difficult.. 

Thanks everyone for your help. It’s  holding steady except for the fittings I tied the air lines together with ,ones bad .still only lost 3psi. That’s better than ever and  we’ve owned it10 years. Hope lm not overlooking something thinking it’s the dryer. All thoughts are appreciated plus the moral support.

It’s a MH ride one day work on it two...