2000 38' Dynasty 8.3, side radiator. 

I have searched, can't find the cooling system capacity. It is not in my manual. 

I am wanting to flush & put in new coolant. 

I plan to flush with distilled water a couple times, then fill with new coolant. 

Trying to figure out how much to have on hand before I start. 

Thanks 

Dave Pumphrey 

5 minutes ago, Dave Pumphrey said:

Yes, looking at super tech heavy duty or maybe final change. 

Sweet. Did mine and had a blast. The link above outlined some of the flush. I changed 1 hose, but the others were stuck on tight. I’m going to pull Rads when some back ordered parts come in and finish hoses 

8 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Do have a somewhere to take your old coolant and flushed water?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Yes, our county, AA in MD, has a drop off station for coolant, motor oil, & cooking oil. 

10 hours ago, Timaz996 said:

Mine holds 12 gal

Tim

I was thinking about 12 gallons, thank you.

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

!2 gallons is about what my ISC-350 holds to start and then top off from there.

Thank You 

3 hours ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Do have a somewhere to take your old coolant and flushed water?

Gary 05 AMB DST

I had 10 gallons of coolant in my MH.  Since we don't have a regular collection station, when I changed my coolant, I had to take it to an oil change business. I wouldn't push my luck, so I only dropped off 5 gallons at a time plus a tip to the manager. 

Gary 05 AMB DST

• Like 1

Many folks, myself included, have found that a flush is not necessary, as the coolant often comes out pretty clean. I had a flush and change done once years ago at WWWilliams (had it in for transmission service), but wouldn’t waste the money again.

After having a pinhole leak in one of the radiator hoses that I needed to fix on the road, I decided to replace the rest and that was a good time to change the coolant. I got a large (~20 gallon?) drain pan akin to a kiddie pool, positioned the RV a little low in the rear, and pulled the drain plug. Worked great. Let it sit overnight. Pumped the coolant into 5-gallon pails for measurement. Had about 15 gallons, more than the 55 quarts my manual states. Manual could be low as Aqua-Hot was an option and may not have been counted.

It was a relatively good idea to change the radiator hoses, as they were pretty old (15 years). I didn’t change the dash heat hoses or the Aqua-Hot pre-heat lines, but probably should have.

I replaced the coolant with Rotella ES red. Should last a long time, and was available on Amazon and at Tractor Supply then. I used my favorite Harbor Freight battery operated transfer pump to move the old coolant to buckets and to put the new in. I used the concentrate in gallons mixed 50/50 with distilled water from Walmart.

https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-operated-liquid-transfer-pump-63847.html

After refilling and burping, I found I needed to add another couple of gallons, so I ended up with 16-17 gallons. Plan ahead to have a little extra on hand before you start if getting more on the fly would be an issue.

One final thought: my radiator had no petcock, just a pipe plug. This required careful positioning of the drain pan, as the stream pushed all the way to the other side of the engine compartment. I replaced the plug with a ball valve and downward elbow. I put the plug in the end of the elbow to keep crud out, and got a barbed nipple with plastic hose to put on for future drain activity. Kinda like a Fumoto valve for the rad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2022 at 8:42 PM, Dave Pumphrey said:

2000 38' Dynasty 8.3, side radiator. 

I have searched, can't find the cooling system capacity. It is not in my manual. 

I am wanting to flush & put in new coolant. 

I plan to flush with distilled water a couple times, then fill with new coolant. 

Trying to figure out how much to have on hand before I start. 

Thanks 

Dave Pumphrey 

Mine was about 12 gal also.

You know there'll be several gallons of water left after the flush right? So you'll need at least a couple-gallons of concentrate to hit 50% final concentration. It's been a few years since I've looked for it, but I had trouble finding my coolant of choice in concentrate. Seems like the suppliers like to stock only pre-diluted... 

Like somebody else said, flushing probably isn't necessary. My OCD requires some level of flushing, but unless it's contaminated, Cummins doesn't advocate for it, even when moving from legacy HD coolants to OAT.

Cheers,

Walter

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wamcneil said:

Mine was about 12 gal also.

You know there'll be several gallons of water left after the flush right? So you'll need at least a couple-gallons of concentrate to hit 50% final concentration. It's been a few years since I've looked for it, but I had trouble finding my coolant of choice in concentrate. Seems like the suppliers like to stock only pre-diluted... 

Like somebody else said, flushing probably isn't necessary. My OCD requires some level of flushing, but unless it's contaminated, Cummins doesn't advocate for it, even when moving from legacy HD coolants to OAT.

Cheers,

Walter

I flushed mainly because I don’t know how long my coach had sat. The first flush, you can see gunk. Subsequent flushes were very clean. 

I didn’t need the Silica flush (plus I believe) as it’s a ford thing. Just did flush for scale/rust 

• Like 1

When I changed my coolant, I used Peak Final Charge

First flush the old antifreeze from your system. Make sure to turn on the dash heat and aqua heat to enable the old coolant in the heater hoses to be circulated out. This may take 2-3 cycles and for this I used regular tap water. For the final flush, I used distilled water. I bought 2 gallons of the Concentrate Final Charge, and after the flushing was good, I added the concentrate (2 Gallons) to the system, as there is always some water left behind in the system after draining. Then I added the 50/50 mixture of Final Charge to fill the rest of the system. Make sure to change your coolant filter to a non SCA filter.

• Like 1