Video - How to Totally Destroy a New Monaco Coach

My training included measuring the height of my coach to know the proper clearance so that I can drive under low clearances.

21 minutes ago, Ernest Tumbleston said:

I’ve seen the results of cdl drivers doing stupid things but I agree, there should be some kind of mandatory training before grandpa trades in his Buick for a 30,000 lb plus vehicle.  I have my CDL and glad I do. 

Do you have the air brake endorsement?

• Like 1

I could understand what happened if they are inexperienced with RV's.  They made it under the first bridge labeled at 9ft. 9in. and assumed they could make it under the second bridge.  The signs are misleading.  It's an unfortunate situation, thank the Lord their injuries were minor.

Just now, We2dynasty said:

I could understand what happened if they are inexperienced with RV's.  They made it under the first bridge labeled at 9ft. 9in. and assumed they could make it under the second bridge.  The signs are misleading.  It's an unfortunate situation, thank the Lord their injuries were minor.

NO way they made through the 9’9” bridge. My old Dip is a shorty at 12’. No way I’d make it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

If you cannot get a CDL for health reasons, you have no business driving a coach.

There are many reasons, we don’t know them all. Can’t blanket judge 

In case anyone thinks they would pass the medical section 

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/2022-03/Medical Examination Report Form MCSA-5875.pdf

Edited by JDCrow
  • Like 2

I know that, at least in TX, you don't need a health exam to get non-commercial license to drive anything over 26k with airbrake endorsement. That's what I got. I still meet many locals here who don't know it or just play ignorant. And the dealers plain lie about it to get a deal closed. 

• Like 1

In 2005 I was parked in the RV park section at the Monaco repair center in Elkhart , Indiana.  A Sig owner drove into the campground.  He turned too close to the coaches parked on the end.  He wiped out two outside mirrors before a couple of us stopped him.  His wife came out the front door first carrying a walker so he he can walk after he came out cussing.  He did have insurance.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, We2dynasty said:

99% of RV drivers are inexperienced and have had NO training. I didn't when I purchased my very first motorhome which was a 36 foot Airstream Landyacht. However, I had enough common sense to drive it 2000 miles from Kirksville MO where I purchased it to Murrietta CA with no problems. One year later I graduated up to a 40 foot 2002 Monaco Windsor towing a 30 foot cargo trailer and drove that over 70K and 18+ years without any major problems.

Regarding the bridges, the first one is NOT marked incorrectly as there is no room between the bridges for any vehicle to turn around from going under the second bridge. That's why BOTH are designated 9 feet 9 inches which is the lower of the two.

Plus, it's not like they were "inching" their way under the first bridge to see if they could make it OK and then attempt to inch their way under the second one. They were driving at speed and simply ignored the warning signs.

Either it was a case of distracted driving (using mobile phone) or they were just plain stupid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I keep the height dimension on a yellow sticky stuck to my dash as a constant reminder. 

I completed school bus training to prepare me for driving a coach. I was always a good driver, but had never driven a large coach until five years ago. The School bus trainer required us to yell out bridge dimensions as we approached. 

21 minutes ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

In 2005 I was parked in the RV park section at the Monaco repair center in Elkhart , Indiana.  A Sig owner drove into the campground.  He turned too close to the coaches parked on the end.  He wiped out two outside mirrors before a couple of us stopped him.  His wife came out the front door first carrying a walker so he he can walk after he came out cussing.  He did have insurance.

Well, he was in the right place to practice driving 😃!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Well, he was in the right place to practice driving 😃!

Lazy Days in Seffner FL offers a RV Driver Confidence Course where they have 2 hours of classroom training then you get behind the wheel of a coach and drive it throughout their RV Park getting use to navigating the roads. Not sure how they approach parking the RV into a site as I only seen them as they drive by my site when there for the Monacoers Gathering.

RV Driver Confidence Course | Lazydays RV

Edited by Dr4Film

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Lazy Days in Seffner FL offers a RV Driver Confidence Course where they have 2 hours of classroom training then you get behind the wheel of a coach and drive it throughout their RV Park getting use to navigating the roads. Not sure how they approach parking the RV into a site as I only seen them as they drive by my site when there for the Monacoers Gathering.

Richard,

WE bought our 45' Exec 4 years ago without ever having driven any sort of RV before.  Before I ever drove it I did sign up for the Lazydays Drivers Confidence course in Tampa and I made my wife and son attend as well.  In my opinion it was well worth it.  One of the big takeaways was showing how to put small reference dots on the mirrors and windshield to assist in navigation down the road and in tight areas.  I still use them today after putting over 35,000 miles on it.  They do show you how to use them to back into a campsite and the proper way to use hand signals (something the other passenger in our coach has trouble mastering 🙂 ).

• Like 1

Before even owning an RV I had lots of experience driving and maneuvering large pieces of equipment in an underground mining environment.  Driving large trucks, loaders, drills, and support equipment is hard enough but doing it in the dark around pillars on steep inclines is a challenge.  Most of the equipment is articulated which has it's benefits, but some equipment doesn't(can't) articulate.  I was the first one to drive a Grove Manlift underground, it was 4WD and 4 wheel steer but still hard to maneuver.  The boom extended and gave us the ability to reach +125' ceilings to check for safety.   Being 125' in the air in that type of environment tests your limits for sure, not for everyone. 

So when we got our first RV it was a pretty easy transition for me to drive the 31' Class C.   My wife actually used this solo more then us going on trips together.  So it was a pretty easy transition to our ~40' Windsor.    

I agree that in most cases it would be better for new owners to take some sort of driving class.  

But even with required driving courses in High School I know people would shouldn't even be allowed behind the wheel of an automobile let alone an large Class A.