Video - How to Totally Destroy a New Monaco Coach

39 minutes ago, Mike H said:

.......and the proper way to use hand signals (something the other passenger in our coach has trouble mastering 🙂 ).

Ron Jones, a Monacoers member, has two great educational videos posted on his web site, About RVing.

Link to his web site and link to the web page for the two videos.

About RVing — RV LifeStyle

Hand Signals for Backing Up Your RV (aboutrving.com)

Hopefully the videos will help "the other passenger" understand how to use proper hand signals.

It was an unfortunate situation.  As I indicated, thank the Lord they weren't seriously injured.  I will reserve calling people stupid for the day that I'm perfect and that ain't gonna happen.  I've driven big rigs and have had a class A CDL for years and have seen it all.  When people are sold RV's, most dealers grab the money and don't care what happens to the customers.  I'm in agreement with all who have indicated that there should be some kind of training.  God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

Sometimes it does not matter what kind of signs you have or the experience of the driver. Drivers often have their heads in the clouds or are just plain not paying attention. This is a famous railroad bridge in Durham, NC that has made for a bad day for all sorts of vehicles even with flashing warning lights.

• Like 1

I have a hard time understanding things like this. My coach sits right at 12ft when I'm in the driver's seat my head is close to 9 ft. 

I've done my share of stupid.  I  wish there was a driving class close by me, but I don't have that kind of luck. Had my rig close to 7yrs now. 3 minor mishaps. The last one was an awning pole, got too close to a post. New awning & a little fiberglass work. About a $1 bill size.  The other 2 only cost me about $400 combined. 

That being said, when driving these big rigs there's a lot to think about when you get stressed or you start enjoying the scenery too much that's when your troubles begin.  

I sure hope the injuries were minor. 

Just in case anyone is interested, this video was being passed around about a year ago so it's not something recent, but still something tragically devastating.  It sure would be nice to hear the complete circumstances. 

image.png.c5b15d443656bba46c7cfb777b1052d1.png

image.png.9e2de0df8e1b01de22b0e511c7372a66.png

image.png.309afb78c2857cfc6b47cf225670fa15.png

Edited by Mike H

22 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

In 2005 I was parked in the RV park section at the Monaco repair center in Elkhart , Indiana.  A Sig owner drove into the campground.  He turned too close to the coaches parked on the end.  He wiped out two outside mirrors before a couple of us stopped him.  His wife came out the front door first carrying a walker so he he can walk after he came out cussing.  He did have insurance.

Does Monaco still have a repair center in Elkhart?

22 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

In 2005 I was parked in the RV park section at the Monaco repair center in Elkhart , Indiana.  A Sig owner drove into the campground.  He turned too close to the coaches parked on the end.  He wiped out two outside mirrors before a couple of us stopped him.  His wife came out the front door first carrying a walker so he he can walk after he came out cussing.  He did have insurance.

23 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Problem with CDL, many couldn’t qualify because of health reasons.

Agreed, plus there are a lot of additionall restrictions on CDL holders, that apply even when driving a normal vehicle.
One is that radar detector possession becomes a very serious offense, no matter what you're driving.
I don't need, or want, a CDL.

I wouldn't have a problem with an endorsement on a regular license, to cover heavier vehicles with air brakes.

23 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

If you cannot get a CDL for health reasons, you have no business driving a coach.

That would exclude a LOT of coach owners.  Want to see values plummet?

I think I'd have just driven it to the nearest scrapyard. LOL

I’m often reminded of my Team Sergeant saying, “Stupidity should be painful and expensive”.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

Monaco went bankrupt in 2009.

Yes, but REV bought Monaco, you knew what he meant.

To answer the question, there are two repair centers, one in Coburg, OR and the other is in Decatur, IN.

• Like 1

After reading and seeing this it causes many emotions to surface. Sorry that it happened. What in the world would let you attempt to go down that road?

Some readers comments are scary as well, " understanding confusion "!! You are next! My trip planner has basic entry and one is for height , it would not even allow me to  even plan a trip on that road. I would question how the owner made out with insurance coverage. Looks like self imposed destruction to me  How much larger could the sign have been made. A lot of questions enter my mind and many of them are about the person driving and how the driver got in that mess. It is haunting to think we may share the road. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FLynes said:

Yes, but REV bought Monaco, you knew what he meant.

To answer the question, there are two repair centers, one in Coburg, OR and the other is in Decatur, IN.

Thanks for the info. I’m going to Elkhart next month. I will try and schedule an appointment in Decatur also.

Thanks again 

Don

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brokenarrow1244 said:

After reading and seeing this it causes many emotions to surface. Sorry that it happened. What in the world would let you attempt to go down that road?

Some readers comments are scary as well, " understanding confusion "!! You are next! My trip planner has basic entry and one is for height , it would not even allow me to  even plan a trip on that road. I would question how the owner made out with insurance coverage. Looks like self imposed destruction to me  How much larger could the sign have been made. A lot of questions enter my mind and many of them are about the person driving and how the driver got in that mess. It is haunting to think we may share the road. 

Yeah it is sad and scary at the same time. It reminds me of the young family lost a few years back because they followed their GPS and old maps. They moved downed trees, went into deep snow, and kept going until they got turned around. The husband set off on foot to find help, only to die. I say this a lot, common sense is uncommon. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2007/11/kimfamily.html

24 minutes ago, vanwill52 said:

There will always be snarky comments from a short list of members.  On our forum they come primarily from two members, one of whom does not even own a motor home, although he is an INVALUABLE source of information.  If you have Faith, and are capable of compassion, then condescension and sarcasm should never show in your posts.  Whoever suffered this huge loss deserves our sympathy and our prayers, NOT our judgement.  No matter how intelligent you might think yourself to be, and no matter how much motor home experience you have, someday a calamity may befall you.  In YOUR mind, it might have been a momentary lapse of judgement.  How would you like dozens of self-proclaimed "experts" jump in to tell you that you are an idiot, an imbecile, and that the entire calamity is because you have no business owning a motor home?

Suppose this had happened to you.  Would you prefer Christian compassion, or some crusty curmudgeon telling you that "If you had followed my advice, you would never have made this dumbass mistake?"

Lighten up, folks.  We are a FAMILY of motor home owners.  If your primary contribution is to tell us we are all a collection of morons "unless we do what I told you to do", I suggest you find some other way to spend your time.  Going to church might not be a bad idea.

Bottom line--this forum was once the premier source of help with your problems, whether or not those problems were self-induced.  Would it not be in our best interest to return to that ethic?

Although it is not my place to do so, might I invite all you self-righteous, condescending, sarcastic curmudgeons to seek another forum, and help return this forum to Bill D's original intentions--TO HELP PEOPLE.

If your comment was directed at my post, the reason my Team Sergeant’s saying echoes in my head is because everyone at some point has done their share of stupid things, and it is always painful and/or expensive.

Case in point, when we were leaving for Las Vegas two weeks ago, I left the e-brake engaged on our towed Jeep CJ-5…one of the brand new BF Goodrich KM3 Mud Terrains blew out. Cost me an entire new set of tires, because the nearest tire store didn’t carry BF Goodrich….expensive.

Going under a bridge that is clearly marked with the height is stupid. Not paying attention to that sign is equally stupid. Doing stupid things doesn’t make you stupid, an idiot or a moron, something that was never said in this thread about the driver.

Lighten up, Francis.

40 minutes ago, FLynes said:

If your comment was directed at my post, the reason my Team Sergeant’s saying echoes in my head is because everyone at some point has done their share of stupid things, and it is always painful and/or expensive.

Case in point, when we were leaving for Las Vegas two weeks ago, I left the e-brake engaged on our towed Jeep CJ-5…one of the brand new BF Goodrich KM3 Mud Terrains blew out. Cost me an entire new set of tires, because the nearest tire store didn’t carry BF Goodrich….expensive.

Going under a bridge that is clearly marked with the height is stupid. Not paying attention to that sign is equally stupid. Doing stupid things doesn’t make you stupid, an idiot or a moron, something that was never said in this thread about the driver.

Lighten up, Francis.

NO, it was not directed at you...not at all. I don't even know you. It is just that compassion trumps condescencion every time.  Too often lately our forum has taken to criticizing folks instead of trying to help them, or at least be compassionate in their loss.  When someone loses their motorhome, even if the result of poor judgement, that is not the time to "pile on" and make them feel worse.

• Like 4

WOW, I just read all the entries and comments and you are the 1st and only one to label it "dumbass mistake" something hiding in there... But remember if nothing else, the driver can always be used as a bad example. Nothing is worthless, and it can always be worse. Thankfully they survived. Would be nice to know the after story to the occurrence.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vanwill52 said:

NO, it was not directed at you...not at all. I don't even know you. It is just that compassion trumps condescencion every time.  Too often lately our forum has taken to criticizing folks instead of trying to help them, or at least be compassionate in their loss.  When someone loses their motorhome, even if the result of poor judgement, that is not the time to "pile on" and make them feel worse.

It might be better served if you reach out to those in a private message, express your concerns in a loving, kind way. If I have offended you, repeatedly in my posts, I would appreciate a kind word and a nudge in the right direction. I think the last few years of “isolation” has not helped any of us to talk, let alone empathize with anyone. Social media, and news only strengthens us that our way of thinking is the best. All we hear is “we are right” if we don’t get out of our circle of influence. 

Again, I’m a big boy, I love this forum, so anyone is free to reach out and let me know how they feel. Thanks Van 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 12:45 AM, JDCrow said:

It might be better served if you reach out to those in a private message, express your concerns in a loving, kind way. If I have offended you, repeatedly in my posts, I would appreciate a kind word and a nudge in the right direction. I think the last few years of “isolation” has not helped any of us to talk, let alone empathize with anyone. Social media, and news only strengthens us that our way of thinking is the best. All we hear is “we are right” if we don’t get out of our circle of influence. 

Again, I’m a big boy, I love this forum, so anyone is free to reach out and let me know how they feel. Thanks Van 

Nope, not you.

Always try to be compassionate and helpful, not condescending and sarcastic.  That is what this forum is for.

if you can help, do so.  If your primary contribution is to tell the person asking for help that they are an idiot, keep your opinions to yourself.  My knowledge has grown over the years.  I try to help those who haven't encountered what I have.  I don't tell them they are idiots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vanwill52 said:

Nope, not you.

Always try to be compassionate and helpful, not condescending and sarcastic.  That is what this forum is for.

if you can help, do so.  If your primary contribution is to tell the person asking for help that they are an idiot, keep your opinions to yourself.  My knowledge has grown over the years.  I try to help those who haven't encountered what I have.  I don't tell them they are idiots.

All good. I’m generalizing. I get where your coming from.

I’ve left 2 forums that I was heavy in. 1 got nasty and the other allowed it to get political. Both lost their purpose, and thus I left.

Weird thing. Off subject. They were both bought out by conglomerates. They lost the human touch so to speak. I don’t see that happening here, our audience is small. 

Anyway, I appreciate your help Van. I know your heart is in right place, and know that you deal with a lot. 

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
On 6/16/2022 at 12:40 AM, JDCrow said:

Weird thing. Off subject. They were both bought out by conglomerates. They lost the human touch so to speak. I don’t see that happening here, our audience is small.

Seen it happen many time in various industries,  I can't recall many if any that helped me.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the CDL:  I got mine on my 17th Birthday.   2 years after retiring (school principal) I went to renew my CDL only to learn that I had lost it 2 years prior.  SInce I had not driven a School Bus in a few years, I neglected to send a physical into the state. MS requires a DOT physical every 2 years, but the license is valid for 4.   I didnt realize this, I knew that I had to take a physical to renew.....just not every 2 years.   ANybody realize what hoops they make you jump through NOW to get a CDL?  Sheesh, I told em to pound sand.

Guest Ray Davis
On 6/16/2022 at 12:40 AM, JDCrow said:

Today I see where Lippert has bought Girard.    Bah hum bug here we go again.