Generator Coolant Change to OAT

I'm old fashioned and I don't plan on putting 250K on the Cummins or 10,000 hours on the Onan. I use a good, brand name of the HD Coolant that has the additive for the sleeves of the Cummins engines. I use that in the Onan as well as only carry one gallon as a spare and a pint of the SCA or whatever additive.

Not knocking the advanced or lifetime coolant, but the Green Texaco is what came in mine and when Cummins changed it, they put in the Cummins Compleat....any good grade or same API rating of that is compatible. 

• Like 1

I have an onan Quiet Diesel 8000 generator and just bought the rig last year.  My current engine and diesel coolants looks like greenish yellow.  What is the brand and part number (or whatever you call it) do you use as your coolant?  Manual says antifreeze of coolant must meet ethylene glycol or propylene glycol but no suggested brand and part number.

• Like 1

When we bought our 2005 Safari with a cat deisel engine and o an deisel 8k Gen. Aftee having all the fluids tested we opted to have both coolant systems flushed and the coolant replaced with Peak OAT 1,000,000 mile coolant. Not that I plan to put on that kind of mileage/time on either but it made sense to keep the coolant the same.

• Like 2

I use Peak Final Charge Global Extended Life (OAT) in both my ISL400 and the Onan 8k QD genny. The Onan doesn’t require it, but I confirmed with Cummins it’s ok to use it. It’s easier to just carry a gallon of premix that works for both. 

Probably a silly reason to change to OAT, but I’m red/green colorblind and could never make sense of the test strips to tell if I needed to add SCA.  OAT made that issue go away for me. 🤪

• Like 2

This is what I am going to put in mine. Same thing I used in the engine.

20220509_162541.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Probably a silly reason to change to OAT, but I’m red/green colorblind and could never make sense of the test strips to tell if I needed to add SCA.  OAT made that issue go away for me. 🤪

Good a reason as any!

Even us who aren't colorblind have trouble reading those little strips.