Wood flooring suggestions

4rickyg

Well I finally have all of my tile and carpet removed. 05 Navigator. Getting ready to start putting the wood down.. Was wondering if anyone has ever laid it on a 45 diagonal? If so are you happy with it? Also looking for some ideas for the steps, Maybe some accent lighting? Thanks for the ideas.

Assume this is allowed. We had wood flooring put in our Monaco by Ernie Ekberg in Texas (not diagonal).  His son has his own site and has done a number of coaches (including a few Monacoes) on the diagonal, I think it looks great from his pics.  You can join his facebook page and scroll through a lot of his pics here...  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1145315955826540/media           HTH.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheena154 said:

Years ago we had the flooring installed at an angle and think it looks really nice.

Patricia Neuzil

'06 Diplomat

DSCN0577.JPG

Very nice.  I really like the angle look.  It takes a lot more work to install but in my opinion it's worth the extra effort.

9 hours ago, sg47619 said:

Has anyone left the tile in the kitchen and laid wood flooring up to it. 

I left the tile in place but put down Pergo LVPF, we needed water resistance since we have dogs.   We chose a wood like looking product, light color, it blends well with the tile. 

We have raised floor slides and I had to be concerned about thickness.  The transition to the tile was pretty flat but I had to use a transition piece to cover the joint.  This was ~1/8" thick.  It does clear the kitchen cabinet kick plate but not much clearance.

Floor Front Finished.jpg

On 7/5/2022 at 8:19 PM, sheena154 said:

Years ago we had the flooring installed at an angle and think it looks really nice.

Patricia Neuzil

'06 Diplomat

DSCN0577.JPG

I really like the small squares within the flooring. I might do that with ours. We had the same light-colored LVP installed in our coach, and I really like the way the dark pops.

We just had the front of our coach redone, because DW realized that LVP throughout the front of the coach ends up with a rocking chair sliding everywhere, when you're going around curves. I like the new result. BTW, the carpet by the sofa is not a different color, it's just the grain running in a different direction that makes it look darker.

IMG_0935.jpg

Edited by FLynes

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 11:58 PM, Frank McElroy said:

Very nice.  I really like the angle look.  It takes a lot more work to install but in my opinion it's worth the extra effort.

On my RV, the angle install would have made the install MUCH easier.  It's easier to backbutter glue (urethane) and then float the ends of the flooring under slides / cabinets on the outside edges than to try to install full boards under the edges like I had to do with front to back boards.  The undercabinet boards took 5 times longer to set than the one's with no obstruction.  Not sure how I would have done the floor trough with angle cuts though...that would require some long thinking...

The angle cuts are no more difficult with a sliding miter saw.  I usually make two boards with the same angle and length as templates and measure to the square end and cut to the same measurement on the same square end which forces the angle to be at the same length.  Takes the guessing out of measuring to the angle start point.

I would say cosmetically if the interior is more contemporary, then 45 degree is a good option.  But for more traditional, then front to back.  But that's just opinion.

Edited by DavidL

Got the living room and kitchen floor finished. Very happy with the way it came out.  Had to leave for a trip do I would not have time to do the bedroom. Going to do that in a couple months. Thanks for everyone's tips😊

20220713_202201.jpg

20220713_201816.jpg

20220713_201756.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/6/2022 at 7:05 AM, jacwjames said:

I left the tile in place but put down Pergo LVPF, we needed water resistance since we have dogs.   We chose a wood like looking product, light color, it blends well with the tile. 

We have raised floor slides and I had to be concerned about thickness.  The transition to the tile was pretty flat but I had to use a transition piece to cover the joint.  This was ~1/8" thick.  It does clear the kitchen cabinet kick plate but not much clearance.

Floor Front Finished.jpg

Did you do the work yourself. Looks really nice

The guru for flooring is Ernie Ekberg.

https://groups.io/g/ErnieEkbergFlooring

Join his group and you can see pictures of coaches he has done and he is very forthcoming in answering any questions you have.

Per Ernie, glued down, engineered hardwood flooring is the way to go.

I replaced all of my carpeting with hand scraped engineered hardwood flooring. With the hand scraped, you can easily repair any nicks, etc. and it blends in. We glued the flooring down. One thing I learned in doing this is that because of the confined space, it is much easier to back butter each piece rather than spread the glue across the floor.

• Like 1