Water heater 12 v supply

I have low voltage to my water heater switches which indicates lose connection or damaged wire. My problem is finding how the power goes from rear 12v panel to control panel switches for 12v and 120v  water heater . Anyone know? Does it go to water heater first?

Do you have a wiring diagram?

What kind of water heater do you have?

My water heater 120 volt circuit is controlled by a 12 volt switch located on the base kitchen cabinet near the stove.  It sends voltage to a relay that is located behind my main electrical panel, hard to get to.  The relay is a 12 volt/120 volt relay, when you press the 12 volt switch in closes the relay that sends 120 volt to the water heater.  I found the relay when I was working on my EMS control board, when I checked the relay the 120 volt terminals showed signs of getting hot so I replaced the terminal connectors.  I did buy a spare relay thinking eventually I'd need it.  Last year I was working on my electrical again and check the relay again and found the terminals again showed signs of heat, so replaced terminal ends again. 

Hugh,

My 12V relay is located in the bay behind the Hot Water Heater.   My HWH gets its 120V from an outlet in the same bay.  Check to see if yours is there.  I had a similar problem and found a bad chassis ground connection for the 12V relay where it attached to the HWH tank ground.  All the best.

I jumper my 12 v inside control panel to supply 12v to water heater which makes everything  work.  What im looking for is how the 12v normally runs to switches in control panel. Supply comes from bed room and is good. Power at switches low and goes to nothing  when switches turned on, but ok with alternate 12v supply. Water herter in Atwood 2007 

Do you have the wiring diagrams for your coach, they sometimes provide a clue.  If you go to the downloads section and look under electrical there is a set for a 2002 Knight.

You may have to buy a tone tracer to be able to find the path of wires.   You hook it up on the end you have access to and then start following the wires. 

I bought a cheap one that half way works, it did help me solve a problem with my coax cable in the BS. 

So if you buy one spend the $$$ to get a good one. 

Can't comment, I needed one fast so ran up to Harbor Freight, the tracer works but not great.

Maybe someone else can recommend a good one.  I had looked at Triplett Fox and Hound, they have gone way up in price since I last looked at them.

I have been using this one since I retired and lost access to a commercial type. It works as it should but the rubbery coating got sticky after years. I know it can be cleaned up and it's good enough for me. Used it to find a wire break in ABS system and in many cars.

Screenshot_20220720-140728.png