Thought I’d make the Atlanta 5 O’clock news.

“Motor Home blocks 2 lanes on I-75 northbound”. While coming down a hill to a stop, my ISX stumbled and shuts down. Unable to get to the shoulder and engine will not restart. Turned key off and back on (all engine functions normal) and waited a minute (lift pump runs for 2 minutes) and after 10 seconds of turning over it starts and I’m able to get going. Mile further north there’s a small pull off and I check for a fuel leak and immediately get fuel on my hand when I drain the primary fuel filter… no water. 
Go another 50 miles and under the same circumstances (downhill and stopping) it dies again. Was able to get out of traffic this time and after cycling the key several times (3-4 minutes of lift pump) it starts and I head to the nearest fuel station and put 169.9 gallons in my 150 gallon tank my leaning the MH which I do when ever I fill (160 gallons was my previous best).

Yes, my fuel gauge showed 1/4 (has been fairly accurate) but I always reset the trips and rely on miles… 900 miles being when I put in 160 gallons out West. Trip display (picture below) has been fairly accurate over the 35K miles I’ve put on it and I was 22 miles from home where I was planning on filling. No AquaHot diesel usage and less than 10 hours of generator (5gallons) but I’m missing 35 gallons…not likely at our fenced and gated Snowbird park.

My point in this is IF your engine stumbles, especially when downhill to a stop, go to the nearest gas station. My fuel pickup is on the right side 3/4th of the way back letting it suck air when low on fuel and downhill stopping. Unlike a Cat, the Cummins will cycle/pump fuel getting the air out. With a Cat engine I would’ve made the news as most don’t have a hand primming pump.

Yes, it’s my fault not filling up sooner, but I should’ve made it home with 35 gallons to spare. HATE to think I need locking fuel doors when Snowbirding.

EFEB858D-B67F-4340-ADAF-351E31DF0C5E.jpeg

At least you didn't get towed!  That would have really backed things up. 

Maybe you didn't lean the coach enough at the previous fuel stop?  That happened to me in OK a few years ago.  When I ran out I got a low fuel light (I didn't believe the light - showed 1/4 tank also).  It was a good, no GREAT, lesson learned.  Now if I know I've got a long stretch I'll lean the coach during filling (or fill from the other side).

- bob

Edited by cbr046

Guest Ray Davis

Our first leader Col Bill D. ( RIP ) used to school us to fill up at 1/2 full.  I did that until a few months back when like you I thought it's only about 15 mi home and I've got plenty of fuel.  Well, I was wrong.  It was hot and this 82 yr does not like toting fuel, but I did it several times. The shoulder & coach was leaning and it took quite a bit of fuel.  I made a promise to myself, this would not happen again.  

You should avoid running your tank low for several reasons, one being cooling. The hotter the air temps the more critical. The return fuel back to the tank is very warm and is used in a lot of cases to cool your ecm. When the tank gets low, less heat transfer, hotter fuel to your engine and ecm. Also cools your injectors. If you spend any time driving in temps over 70-80° try and stay above 1/2 tank. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Pretty sure our ECM is not cooled by the fuel. Hotter fuel will get better atomization when it’s injected. Better atomization results in better/more complete combustion. Doubt I’ll change my ways because of “hot fuel”.
Just my 1 cent.

Edited by Ivylog

57 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

You should avoid running your tank low for several reasons, one being cooling. The hotter the air temps the more critical. The return fuel back to the tank is very warm and is used in a lot of cases to cool your ecm. When the tank gets low, less heat transfer, hotter fuel to your engine and ecm. Also cools your injectors. If you spend any time driving in temps over 70-80° try and stay above 1/2 tank. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, our ISMs have fuel cooled ECM plate, I have 200 gal tank and still ran it down to verify the warning light once. Not intentionally and hope never again. At 1/2 I start looking, don't want to get stranded with no generator.

• Like 2

I have a 100 gallon tank in my Diplomat.  I ran out once a few years ago.  Like you, I estimated how many miles I had left.  The low fuel light came on, but I figured I had more than enough fuel to make it home.  I made it to the driveway, so I was lucky.

Now I have a log of each time I fill up and note the gallons purchased.  I also level the coach when I pull into the station, so I know I’m really filling the tank.  When the pump cuts off I can add anywhere from 10-15 gallons more when the foaming stops.

Do you think anyone could have siphoned some fuel from your tank?   I started locking my fuel doors now that the price of fuel is so high.

Guest Ray Davis

1 hour ago, dandick66 said:

I started locking my fuel doors now that the price of fuel is so high.

I've heard that in storage lots when the fuel is locked the thieves just punch a hole in the tank & let it run into shallow containers.   They don't bother to plug the hole either.

15 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

I've heard that in storage lots when the fuel is locked the thieves just punch a hole in the tank & let it run into shallow containers.   They don't bother to plug the hole either.

Yes, that has been going on and therefore I don't t lock my tank. The fuel door is easy to break open and more damage done if they are determined. 

On 4/14/2023 at 4:19 PM, Ivan K said: I have 200 gal tank and still ran it down to verify the warning light once. Not intentionally and hope never again. At 1/2 I start looking, don't want to get stranded with no generator.

Brochure says 150 gallons 

4616BBEA-9586-4F94-ADB7-C021F8E43CAA.png

On 4/15/2023 at 12:08 AM, rvtips said:

169.9 gallons in my 150 gallon tank ??

Yes, I put 169.9 in it because the 150 amount is to the bottom of the short fill nipple…BUT it’s 1.5” lower than the top of the tank. By leaning the MH away from you, a fair amount of the top of tank is lower than the bottom of the nipple. If the tank was completely empty looks like you could put 25 more…175 gallons and NO, I didn’t spill any.

13EAD76D-7908-4AF0-AEE8-00511BBBD8A3.jpeg

Guest Ray Davis
19 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

I assume fuel will leak out the fill tubes before blocking the tank vent?

I don't think it'll block or keep it from getting air,  JMHO tho.  A little fuel might escape from the vent hose.