why is my engine hot and it hasn't run for days?

Go to solution Solved by waterskier_1,

I just made a repair on the cooling system by replacing the over flow tank and the two return lines that go to the engine. I live in middle Tennessee and it was around 85 degrees today-nothing special. I opened the rear engine cover in the rear bathroom to install the new lines but when I went to connect the hose, I pulled off the line plug and the coolant was hot coming out of the head. The head was so hot that I could not rest my hand on it for more than a minute-hot! The coach has not been started for 4 days but 4 days ago I happened to check the temp gauge and when I turned on the key, it registered 1/4. I have a 2007 Monaco Knight dft with a 330, 8.3 Cummins. I have opened the rear hatch before over the last 2 years or so and it's always seemed warm but I never put hands on it. What could be the problem?

37 minutes ago, Marine Boy said:

If your plug into shore power.  Sounds like aqua hot engine heat is on or block heater is on?  If you have those features????

I am plugged into shore power at home. I do not have the Aqua hot feature and I don't think I have a block heater. The way I understand things, when you activate the key there is a light thats says "wait" so I do till it goes out and then crank it up. Years ago, my father had a diesel Mercedes Benz and you had to hold a "glow plug" warmer before you started the engine-I guessed the "wait" light was a modern glow plug. i think something is definitely is on. Is there a switch to turn on for an engine block heater? Where would I find it? thanks

My Windsor had a switch for the block heater which activated a relay to send power to the duplex where the block heater gets plugged in to. Never used it as it has the Aqua-Hot system.

Plus, obviously it would only have 120 VAC power where either you had the generator running or you had shore power.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blacknight said:

I am plugged into shore power at home. I do not have the Aqua hot feature and I don't think I have a block heater. The way I understand things, when you activate the key there is a light thats says "wait" so I do till it goes out and then crank it up. Years ago, my father had a diesel Mercedes Benz and you had to hold a "glow plug" warmer before you started the engine-I guessed the "wait" light was a modern glow plug. i think something is definitely is on. Is there a switch to turn on for an engine block heater? Where would I find it? thanks

Sorry, I am not familiar with your model.  It should be if your manual??  If you don't have an owners manual, try to search the site for a manual.  It does sound like a block heater or hot water heater with a loop to the engine.

• Like 1

@Blacknight if you have a block heater I think you would have a breaker for it in your AC breaker panel.  
One test you can try is to disconnect shore power and see what happens after several hours.  
You also probably have an air intake heater grid which is the wait to start for my engine.  I do not believe there are glow plugs.  

Edited by Bill R
  • Like 1

Steve - I too have a Knight DFT. In the left rear bay beside the power cord reel, there is an outlet. Dangling in the same bay is a power cord with a 3 prong AC plug. If you plug that plug into the outlet it activates the block heater. I would check to see if you have a similar arrangement and see if the plug is plugged into the outlet. If someone left it that way because you purchased it in the Winter., you can just unplug it until next winter. Problem solved? 

My Knight does not have Aqua Hot.  I don't know if that was an option on our year/ models, or not...

I've owned mine 3 years and still learning every day. 

Good luck - Steve P

• Like 2

Can you measure AC current into your coach?  I wouldn't rely on the "digital amps" on your Power Management System (usually over the entry door) as that might be measuring current into the coach (vs coach + chassis).

- bob

• Solution
16 hours ago, Blacknight said:

The "Wait to Start" functions similarly to the glow plugs you are thinking about.  The block heater is a 110 VAC heater that is either in the engine coolant system or the engine oil system.  If you go to your main power panel, you should have a circuit breaker labeled "Block Heater".  Turn that breaker off, and see it that makes any difference.  That breaker is connected to an outlet in the engine compartment (not sure where it is physically in a rear radiator coach, but someone should be able to tell you).  The block heater has a 110 VAC line cord, sometimes called a "pig tail" that is plugged into that outlet.  On some coaches (my 1997 Dynasty, as example) that outlet is hot if the circuit breaker is turned on.  Most newer coaches have a switch on the dash, labeled Block Heater, that energizes a relay which in turn supplies 110 VAC to that outlet, so you can leave the block heater plugged in all the time and turn it on and off from the dash.  

-Rick N.

Colorado Springs, CO

• Like 3

funny-We have owned ours for three years as well. I found the outlet that I didn't know was there and sure enough the heater was plugged in. I know it's been plugged in for since I've owned it. no wonder why the bathroom was always warm! for the help.Thanks everyone 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blacknight said:

funny-We have owned ours for three years as well. I found the outlet that I didn't know was there and sure enough the heater was plugged in. I know it's been plugged in for since I've owned it. no wonder why the bathroom was always warm! for the help.Thanks everyone 

Your going to be pleased with your new electric bills 😄!

• Like 8