Ahhh the mice

Wife found some extremely old poo and now we are in DEFCON 4

I thought I heard something, so started pounding on the ceiling. I get this weird castanet noise. It’s between 2 trusses, on the other side of the ducting. Pulled a speaker out and fished a camera in, oh boy. 

Found an old stash of seeds. So now I have a new “access” hole and rigging different hose configurations to get the dancing seeds out and a trap up. 

The whole park we stayed at a few years ago surrounded a woman who was dropping bird seed everywhere, thinking she was Snow White and the mice were in most rv because. 

Here’s to getting them out. I have a big punch list already on the coach and this wasn’t on it 

IMG_8028.jpeg

IMG_8026.jpeg

IMG_8029.jpeg

Here’s my set up and in case you want to know what the trusses look like. And some seeds 

IMG_8030.jpeg

IMG_8031.jpeg

IMG_8032.jpeg

IMG_8033.jpeg

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago. He had the nerve to run across the floor while I was reading. The next afternoon I stopped a WalMart and bought this new style mouse trap.  I put two out with peanut butter in the little vault that the mouse has to stick his nose into.

I went in bedroom for 20 minutes and found the critter demised when I returned. That was quick! He was with me only a day and a half.  

Got home Saturday and now have to trap, and release, the rock squirrels that are once again establishing residence at my place. I take them five miles away and release them. I don’t need any critters tearing up the motorhome. I’ve relocated 6 so far.

IMG_4621.jpeg

• Like 1

I can't describe how infested mine was with chipmunks. They had nests everywhere. They built one inside the air intake to my generator no less. (That cost me a cool 1k to repair ).... nests In the kitchen, the bedroom, etc, I found discarded nuts everywhere. Since I've been in one spot for so long I worry about field mice but the only thing I've had so far is small sugar ants. 

When I purchased my coach and was going over the functionality of various components with the owner, the living room A/C was set to blow directly down out of the unit, not through the vents.  Didn’t think much of it at the time, there was no smell or evidence of mice otherwise on the coach so mice weren’t even on the mind. 
Get it home, set it up and was checking it over.  Flipped the damper to put the air in the ducts and it suddenly rained out little bits of styrofoam and foil.  Little buggers had chewed paths directly through the foam board for the vents.  With an inspection camera, replacement board and some “homemade” tools to help press the foil tape smooth it was back to functioning without issue so far.  What a let down though. Quite a reach too. 

• Like 1

For prevention…

I really don’t know if it working or not - but we haven’t had any mice for a couple of years (knocking on all the nice oak in our dynasty).

my wife got two electric mice deterrents. 

120v one “Riddex plus” we full time with inverter on 24/7. (From Amazon)

2 C battery deterrent - evidently the company wasn’t very proud of their device - no name on it.

Plus she has Irish Spring soap in the bays  

The theory is they emit sounds the mice don’t like  - not enough to drive them from a nice home - but enough to make them keep looking for a home.

we found one nest in a furnace heater line that went under the cabinets- the funny thing is that line has no where to blow out - must have been for a different option at the factory.

Good Luck in your cleanup. 

They are PITA’s for sure 

I’ve done really good with the foam, none are “in” living areas of the Coach now. 

We are trying out the whole rope light around our toy hauler now and so far so good. We don’t get out to it but once a week and nothing. 

I have traps set now, up in the attic and we will see. 

IMG_7665.jpeg

I put moth balls under the coach and in each  bay.......... wife hates the smell, but then she doesn't have to 'get the mice' ! Also sticky traps.  Put a dollop of peanut butter in the middle..... you can often get more than one of the little critters.   I don't like to kill anything [even the rattlers where I live]  I yell at the mice, but they don't listen !!

• Haha 1

I needed a 20a outlet near the driver's seat for my portable A/C unit that assists the rooftop A/C. I ran flexible conduit down the passenger side of the basement from the engine heater outlet, which was outside the radiator on top, and where I store my rooftop ladder extension. Put an outlet in each basement bay. I put a Bell and Howell Ultrasonic pest repeller in each bay. Have two in the living space, front and back and one hangs in the engine bay to keep the squirrels out. Knocking on wood, it has worked good for years. That heater outlet circuit is just waiting to be used.

Gary 05 AMB DST

We have found "Fresh Cab" to be the best at deterring anything from getting into ours whether it be inside the coach or underneath I put them in every bay on both sides and inside the FRB and on top of the RRB every 6 months. It is pretty strong for about 24 hours but really not bad after that. We got our first mouse in about 5 years at the FMCA rally this year in Perry Georgia but he exited while I was putting the slide out when we got home and we have not seen him since. They are too strong to put inside the coach unless you are putting it up for the winter or something like that.

I will second Fresh Cab. We have been using it for years and have never had a Varmit Intrusion. Great stuff and like Steve I have installed one bag in each of the bays and replace as per the instructions. Cheap Insurance. If you suspect you have the Varmits in your coach put several bags inside the coach above the ceiling, in the ac ducts and cabinets and within 24 hours they will leave.

I have remove a puck lite in the ceiling and put a couple bags in the ceiling as insurance.

Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent can be purchased on Amazon. WalMart for under $15.00 per box. Four bags per box.

Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent.   

I have been a fan of mothballs since I purchased our coach. I buy the ones in perforated bags and place them in the water bay, on top of the generator, and in all the cargo bays. I wipe the surface of the water bay with white vinegar. I have not had ants, or any rodent issues. Knock on wood. 

Oh, engine compartment too. And no, you can’t really smell me coming. LOL!

We use Irish spring in bays, mothballs at the tires AND since we are plugged in to shore power, I use a heavy paper plate, cut a slit in it to the middle n slide it of the electrical cord cutting off their bridge to the rig. The mice can’t get around the plate,  it a trick we use on our houseboat.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gweedo said:

We use Irish spring in bays, mothballs at the tires AND since we are plugged in to shore power, I use a heavy paper plate, cut a slit in it to the middle n slide it of the electrical cord cutting off their bridge to the rig. The mice can’t get around the plate,  it a trick we use on our houseboat.  

I use a black toilet plunger with a slit in it for our electric cord. Now the Sewer hose is a tough one. 

• Like 1