Well we finally got the final estimate to replace our Allison MH2500 transmission. At first the codes were saying it was a short in the wiring harness caused by a tranny fluid leak. We never have had a leak so figured it was a minor leak and that made sense. I then got a call from the shop stating that when they removed the trans pan they found metal meaning the transmission needed replacement.

Today I get a new estimate to R&R transmission and replace trans cooler for a little over $18,000. This seems really high to me, has anyone else had a trans replaced?

The Rv is a 2008 Cayman 35 SBD with 48k miles.

The fluid smelled burnt too. I believe the previous owner never serviced, we have owned it for 3 years.

We are no longer in Az, just the Rv is there. Luckily we had our Jeep with us to drive back to Vegas. The Rv is in Flagstaff Az at Velocity Truck Center.

That is way too high. You are being taken advantage of.  Get a used one.   Visone has lots ready to ship in the 3-4K range. Example:
https://rvchassisparts.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/md/M120735/s12.pl

They also have a bunch of those transmission coolers, assuming yours is like mine and is that rectangular prism looking thing at the bottom for like 3-4 hundred bucks. 

Edited by BradHend
  • Like 1

Ok for others following and commenting I was waiting to talk to the OP TW Racing but felt it doesn’t help the followers of this thread. I just picked up my mh and among other work related to my transmission failure this was what it cost me for a MH3000 at a very well known repair facility highly experience in this work. 

Tran retran $6093 

Transynd   6gal  $247.00 (shipped dry)

R&R $1776

• Like 1

Maybe unfair but I used Velocity in Canton NC for an air leak, they worked on  it in 10 min sat in the bay for 45 minutes. They have a minimum 225.00 hour for RVs charged for two hours plus 45.00 in shop fees (rag and spray soap) stayed that the leaking valve was special to the Rv quoted 500.00 to replace plus labor to send someone out to look for parts and shop fees. I would get it out of there.

Cost me to know to never use them again.

Charging a professional rate for professional service no problem but they are looking for a blank check In my opinion.

BTW parts were off the shelf found local with some help from this site. going to make ramps and try replacing it myself.

• Like 1

Did they pull a transmission sample? If so they may have found coolant in the fluid. That’s assuming what type of cooler you have. Mine is internal to the radiator. Rear radiator I’m not sure about. 

Edited by tmw188

Terrible situation you’re in.  I honestly do feel for you.  
Is that coach at all moveable?

Has the shop that quoted you 18K come down at all even after saying you’ll get it towed elsewhere?

Is it stuck at that shop?

It’s not movable. The shop did come down a few thousand, but unfortunately it would cost $3700 to have towed to an Allison shop in Phoenix. Still looking into what will be the most cost effective. The current shop has 9 hrs into it already.

Rush is about the same price.? It seems the trick centers don’t really have the lifts for RVs, that’s what I have been told. The price is now down to around 13k when the cost of the core is removed. 
trans- $5084

cooler- $2517

core- $2499

labor- $4843

13 minutes ago, TW Racing said:

Rush is about the same price.? It seems the trick centers don’t really have the lifts for RVs, that’s what I have been told. The price is now down to around 13k when the cost of the core is removed. 
trans- $5084

cooler- $2517

core- $2499

labor- $4843

That's a lot better then original estimate but seems like it's still high. 

What is wrong with the cooler, can't it be cleaned?.   My guess is they want new cooler to reduce chance of contamination/failure. 

Labor seems high but you said they already had 19 hours into it so

IT IS WHAT IT IS