When to use ATC Momentary Switch on the Driver's Panel?

Go to solution Solved by Bill R,

I have been meaning to ask this question for the past two years since purchasing the Windsor.  Other projects kept coming up so this question kept being pushed off.  And please excuse my ignorance on the topic.

I have a momentary ATC switch on the drivers panel.  When should I use this?  My understanding from reading previous posts, the manual, and site downloads, is that ATC is always active just like ABS is always active.  And the warning ATC dash light would indicate if it was engaged.  A lot of posts mention how a fuel filter issue will engage the ATC.  So I may be totally off base on these assumptions so please correct or affirm or both.

But when would I engage the momentary switch on the drivers side panel?  If I am in a muddy parking lot?  Driving in rain, snow, ice?   Have it engaged all the time?

Thank you for the help.

From the owner's manual:

ATC Switch:
Activating the ATC switch reduces ECU control over engine
torque. Momentarily pressing the ATC switch allows the ECU to
increase the amount of engine torque applied to the drive wheel in an
ATC event. The amount of engine torque applied to the drive wheel
will vary with the amount of drive wheel slip versus road speed. In
an ATC event, the ECU remains active regardless of road speed or
switch position. The indicator light flashes slowly when the ATC
switch is activated. 

Disabling ATC for Dynomometer Testing:
1. Turn the ignition key to ON.
2. Press and hold the diagnostic button for at least three seconds and
release.
3. The ATC light turns ON and the ABS light blinks 17-8, indicating the
ATC system is disabled. All subsequent flashes are active ABS fault
codes. 
4. The ATC system will be enabled when the ignition is switched off then
back to on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vito.a said:

From the owner's manual:
... Momentarily pressing the ATC switch allows the ECU to increase the amount of engine torque applied to the drive wheel in an ATC event. ...

The owners manual makes sense but doesn't answer the question, "When do you use it?"    Or maybe now the question should be, "What is an ATC event?"

9 hours ago, vito.a said:

From the owner's manual:

Thank you Vito - I have read through the manual and it does explain how the ATC works, but it does not give examples of an "ATC Event" and when to use the momentary switch? 

52 minutes ago, bklaes said:

The owners manual makes sense but doesn't answer the question, "When do you use it?"    Or maybe now the question should be, "What is an ATC event?"

Bill - X2, exactly my question.  

Who has this switch and when do you use it?

ATC is to prevent wheel spin, this may be good in normal driving as it stops the wheel spin by applying brake to it which transfers power to the other wheel unless that one spins too but in some situations, like getting out of snow, mud or sand you may want to have it disabled to keep the wheels going even while  spinning and the control of it is all in your foot. I don't have ATC on the rig and don't miss it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bill R said:

Who has this switch and when do you use it?

I used it last year when I had to drive out a 1 mile long muddy road.  Ruts were up to the stairs and I felt for sure the genny exhaust and stairs would be all bent up. 

Back wheels were slipping and I couldn't really tell if the ATC switch was effective or not.  I didn't know I had to hold the switch down but did hold it down a few times.  "Momentum is your friend" got me out of that mess without being dragged out by a big tractor. 

I believe you have to hold the switch down to make it work.  Next time I'm in a jam that's what I'll do.  Hopefully that day won't come.

- bob

• Like 1

Do NOT use it all the time, only when needed.

I had gotten my Windsor stuck in the rear alleyway of our new house we had purchased in Florida. This alleyway was one of the main reasons for purchasing the property as it allowed us to access the rear of the house to park our coach.

After buying the rear wheels in the soft sandy driveway I did some digging and then used the ATC to lock the rear wheels together. The coach walked right out of the hole I had caused.

Needless to say not too long afterwards I had crushed granite stone brought in to cover this sandy area of the alleyway and also installed a rear driveway to the parking area of our home.

IMG_1608.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbr046 said:

I used it last year when I had to drive out a 1 mile long muddy road.  Ruts were up to the stairs and I felt for sure the genny exhaust and stairs would be all bent up. 

Back wheels were slipping and I couldn't really tell if the ATC switch was effective or not.  I didn't know I had to hold the switch down but did hold it down a few times.  "Momentum is your friend" got me out of that mess without being dragged out by a big tractor. 

I believe you have to hold the switch down to make it work.  Next time I'm in a jam that's what I'll do.  Hopefully that day won't come.

- bob

Wow.  That has to be one hell of a mess to clean up.

Glad you got out okay though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I used it last year when I had to drive out a 1 mile long muddy road. 

Thank you Bob for sharing your experience.

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Do NOT use it all the time, only when needed.

Richard, thank your for sharing.  Did you hold down the switch like Bob or just press it to activate? 

I am starting to get a grasp on this switch.  I know it may seem obvious to many, but it was not to me.  Any other experiences out there using the ATC switch?

• Solution

@Dr4Film Thank you Richard.  I went to the coach today and with the ignition key in the start position, engine off, I toggled the ATC switch.  It does retract back to original position when depressed, there then is a slow blink of the dash ATC light.  My manual states that this indicates that the ATC switch is activated.  So I am going to assume it does not have to been held down for my coach.  If I toggle the switch again the ATC light stops flashing.

Here are my learnings and thank you for such a great forum to guide me.

1)  The ATC switch is NOT to be activated all the time.

2) Activate the ATC switch only when there is an "ATC event."

3) I will define for my purposes an "ATC event" as when the coach is on is soft and/or slippery surface that may cause the drive axles to spin.

4) I will only engage the ATC switch at low speeds and maintain a low acceleration rate. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Georgia Mike said:

So I have a question my ATC light is always on it never blinks or anything. I never press the switch and tried to use it but I’m not sure it’s supposed to illuminated all the time.

Mike - I think our systems may be a bit different.  My manuals says the following  "ATC Indicator Light: During normal operation, the ATC indicator light illuminates steady when the ignition key is turned ON. The light remains illuminated until the first brake application.  If an ATC event occurs, the indicator light flashes quickly. The indicator light flashes slowly if the ATC switch is activated. "

Your manual says, "ATC Indicator Light: During normal operation, the ATC indicator light will illuminate steady when the ignition key is turned ON. If an ATC event occurs, the indicator light will flash quickly. The indicator light will flash slowly if the ATC switch is activated."

The difference is that my coach will turn off the ATC light when I first apply the brakes.  But apparently you light stays on.  Every Monaco is different, heh?

• Like 1