Generator will not start - 2009 Dynasty…CCM Chassis (most likely).

Mi Bill

This is Michbill. We have a 2009 Dynasty Regal IV.  My four six-year-old L16 flooded Deka's house batteries seem to be toast. The coach works fine on 50amp shore power. However, even when plugged into shore power, I can't get the generator to start. It will give one or two half efforts. Is there a way to "jump-start" the generator?

Thank you.

Bill

41 minutes ago, Bob Wightman said:

Try using the battery boost switch on the drivers console, that links the engine and house batteries together like jumper cables would do. 

Memory says that the later Dynasty cranked the generator from the Chassis.  But, with Monaco, one never knows.  Your Dynasty does have a better battery boost circuit than the lower food chains.  My 09 Camelot cranks the Genny from House.  OPPS, if the house batteries are totally dead….there is NO 12vdc power to run the boost circuit….a catch 22.  Your Dynasty Boost is powered, via a special board, from both House and Chassis.  So TRY the Boost.  BUT, unless Monaco changed things in 2009, from 2008, which I am 95% certain used your Chassis….as the Genny source. 

Thus, If the engine will start….certainly the Genny. Try this if boost doesn’t work.  Start engine…. Trip the pedestal breaker if younhave 50 A.  Let the engine run for 5 minutes. Try the genny.  No joy….use boost….no joy….ain’t the batteries.  Now if it works, let us know…I will look at the prints again…

BUT…if nothing….there is ONE simple thing to do.  Raise the MH…Turn off BOTH battery disconnect switches…assuming you are physically able, slide under the MH where the battery box is.  You will, most likely, see two black cables bolted, via two studs, to the frame or chassis.  Use a wrench and remove one nut. Clean the flat terminals.  Clean, or scrape, to BARE METAL the surface around the stud where the cables contact the metal.  Reassemble.  Thighten until snug….then, rotate each cable from side to side…maybe 90 degrees.  This “polishes” the mating surfaces.  Then Tighten securely.  Do the other one.  Turn back on the disconnects.  Try it.

IF NO JOY…get back, the next step is “jump starting”….but this usually fixes a No Start Genny….worked for me…

I just had this same issue with the same battery brand. I tried the battery boost, but that did not work ( need to figure out why) so I used jumper cables to start the Gen. Needed the roof AC for the trip home from Pigeon Forge in the 95 degree temps.

Edited by ncsteve
spelling

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Generator will not start - 2009 Dynasty…CCM Chassis (most likely).

Thank you all.

I have tried the battery boost with eng running and off. No joy.

Steve, that is my issue need to travel. However, at 90+ and humidity I have to have AC. How did you jump the gen? It is an Owan 10,000.

Thanks

Bill

Tom,

Bill

Sorry, I meant to address getting under the coach.  Normally I would however where the coach is parked I can't.  Would those cables be the ground?

Thanks

I was surprised to learn the generator in my 08 Navigator starts off the engine batteries. Like many, I had to use the boost or even start the engine to get it to turn over fast enough to start even with 3 engine batteries. Solved the problem by adding a battery next to the generator.

IMG_5949.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

I was surprised to learn the generator in my 08 Navigator starts off the engine batteries. Like many, I had to use the boost or even start the engine to get it to turn over fast enough to start even with 3 engine batteries. Solved the problem by adding a battery next to the generator.

IMG_5949.jpeg

Yes…after so many years….I still wonder, sometimes, in disbelief, of why 2 or 3 good chassis batteries that can deliver 1500A can’t crank a puny little, maybe 1/10th the displacement, of a generator.  And some of our wiser and smarter members today, as well as in the past, concluded that a battery up front was the solution.

NOW…my “hands on” experience is limited to the 8KW Onan and my Camelot…and it cranks from the House…. The most common issue…. A bad ground from the House negative to the chassis ground stud…or at least my experience and often the solution to “it won’t crank”.  I learned the hardway…not having an ammeter to check cranking voltage and the CG power was barely 100VAC and my HW50C said….Bypass me and it will be your fault.  OK. Simple…. Crank the genny.  House are perfect.  Except…it Doesn’t CRANK.  Shadetree time…move the TOAD, jump the thing.  It STARTED.  OK…trouble in paradise.  Eventually, the WRONG way, I figured out the issue was in the cabling.  i must and opened and closed the battery trays 50 times.  i would measure a known ground to each negative.  OPPS…found a few Ohms on the HOUSE….never the Chassis.  Kept messin’…then there is the SAME or ZERO ohms to House….

BINGO…yes…that sucker starts….finish a long trip and NEVER opened the box or moved the trays.  Got home, went under.  Loosened the nuts slightly…twisted from side to side each cable and made sure that the terminals were flat and the crimped sections not overlapping.  8 years later…still great.

@Frank McElroy had a cabling issue…or an “assembly” error where two cables were on top of each other…and that “cocked” one of them up…on the starter…IIRC.

Ivy….what was analysis….I am curious…and not to try to shoot down,  I just want to understand WHY a separate battery is needed….did Monaco scrimp on the Genny cables or run the .ground too long?  Really curious….   Some I think, don’t have this issue…

Thanks….

14 hours ago, det944 said:

Thanks Ivan, on my coach, there must be high resistance in one of the runs from the Chassis batteries to the genset. Seems like a common problem.

There 'usually' is only the positive cable running all the way to the rear run bay. 

Negative cable goes to a ground on the chassis, only long enough for your gen to slide out.

My gen positive goes to FRB where it connects to a source cable from RRB. I would put a voltmeter on that post to look for significant voltage drop while cranking the gen since it is the easiest acces point in my case. That would tell me which way to go next and whether a ground connection could be suspect.

Hi Everyone, we are now feeling comfortable with our new to us 06 42ft Dynasty, the PO had installed a pair of new chassis batteries before we picked it up as the gen would only start without boost when it had just come off of shore power or other charging, new batts did not fix.. The single solar panel was not working and we were storing remotely with no shore power, the new chassis batteries didn't take long to drop to 12.2ish, measured with a meter, boost sometimes worked to start the gennie, but thankfully the 400hp Cummins would and then the gen... not a good situation. I liked the idea of a battery up front, already 10 of them on board, so what's 1 more?

We got working solar 1st, now with 420W available the battery banks were always full and the gen started when needed, but still did not crank v fast; parts had been gathering for that new battery, a group 26 with 550 CCA, followed trailmug and the Onan spec for 1/0 cables, used a neat little VSR from Amazon, 150A relay, 2 voltmeters, 1 for the original cable from the chassis batts and 1 for the new one, it even has its own combining function if needed..  tested it yesterday, WHAT a DIFFERENCE, can barely hear it turning over before it bursts into life, instant start..  very happy..

Trevor & Laura

2006 Monaco Dynasty 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, det944 said:

Ivylog, is your dedicated genset battery wired to the studs on the back of the genset making it parallel to the chassis Batts or totally independent? Just thinking how best to add one.

Indirectly… wired to the stud on the side of the FRB for the generator so Yes in parallel with a disconnect switch.