Alternative to film removal, paint, new film

I need the benefit of perspective and experience from people on this site. I'm thinking I'll avoid the whole film removal, paint or paint touch up, and film replacement cycle plus time and expense, by using a bra.  I would likely leave the current film on even though it looks terrible because it protects the front of the coach and then I would just snap the bra in place when we stop, particularly at some of the snobby RV parks.

What are your thoughts? 

Oh, one possible supplier: activervupholstery.com 

Edited by Steve P
Added info

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

I need the benefit of perspective and experience from people on this site. I'm thinking I'll avoid the whole film removal, paint or paint touch up, and film replacement cycle plus time and expense, by using a bra.  I will leave the current film on even though it looks terrible because it protects the front of the coach and then I would just snap the bra in place when we stop, particularly at some of the snobby RV parks.

What are your thoughts? 

Sort of depends on your situation.  The “film” which was not a real “3 M” product is always a source of conversation.  Most of those, I think, have replaced it themselves  or had it replaced did so more for stopping long term damage rather than the cosmetics…but obviously the concern for totally destroying the gel coat and original paint was a deciding manner.

Without pictures and a description and some discussion, I sure can’t offer you a recommendation.  I personally have seen MH that have had varying degrees of “damage”.  Several in the mid 2000’s had the “brown mold” or some type of fungus or bacteria growing under the film.  YES, UV and exposure and storage are major factors.  But, one individual who was very meticulous and kept his rig in an enclosed building and kept the finish in great shape by periodically waxing had the “brown spots”.  Others, like a 2008, stored also indoors, have not experienced any deterioration, or not significant enough to require stripping and reskinning.  

Mine failed or got to the point of needing to be removed after 9 years…which is not unusual.  The process is also subject to “what is best and can I do it and how hard is it.  The real crux…the longer the damage stays or is allowed to continue to deteriorate, the greater the odds of more extensive “touch up”.  A well known professional team did mine and as careful as they were, the had some gouges to the paint.  They have a spray rig and can blend or match colors and after they touched up the spots from the removal as well as the spots from the “mold”, you could not see the blemishes….then they reskinned.

I would also offer this advice.  If i were reskinning, then I would have also have the headlights really polished and let them be skinned,  I had done and 5 years later they are clesn and shiny…or buy two new ones and definitely have them skinned.  The new 3M film does provide an almost lifetime of UV protection to plastic.

Hope this is of some value to you.

• Like 1

I’ve seen some pictures of coaches that used the pickup bed liner that was color matched and from a distance it’s very accessible but up close you can see the texture of a pickup box liner. I would certainly like the protection it provided. Up close looks, maybe not so much!  

• Like 2

Don't know if mine is 3M or Diamond Shield or what... it lasted 14 years then started cracking and getting brown mold under the film.  I only have 3 weeks in October to complete a solution.  I have no issue with doing the complete makeover, but can't find 3, 2, or 1 company in the vicinity of NE Georgia that can meet the timeline.  Been trying for months...

I would not even consider truck bed liner.  Not keen on the appearance.  Can't imagine trying to clean bugs off.  A definite no go for me.

My headlights are still crystal clear... one is original, and the other is two years new... indoor or covered storage may be the reason.  I might still have them filmed to extend their life.  Seems like a good idea although they are not a flat surface. 

Most Monaco built coaches will have the Diamond Shield on the front even though it will be listed on your build sheet as 3M.

If I had ended up keeping our Windsor I would have driven to Texas to have the color-coded Tough Liner installed. They also grind off the shield before prepping and installing the Tough Liner.

As it turned out, I had Dazzling Detailing come to the house and remove the shield, repair and paint portions of the front where it got damaged from the removal. They did an awesome job. There are a few companies in Florida that specialize in shield removal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

If I had ended up keeping our Windsor I would have driven to Texas to have the color-coded Tough Liner installed. They also grind off the shield before prepping and installing the Tough Liner.

Richard - who in Texas would you have gone to who does this?

On 9/9/2023 at 5:03 PM, Steve P said:

I need the benefit of perspective and experience from people on this site. I'm thinking I'll avoid the whole film removal, paint or paint touch up, and film replacement cycle plus time and expense, by using a bra.  I would likely leave the current film on even though it looks terrible because it protects the front of the coach and then I would just snap the bra in place when we stop, particularly at some of the snobby RV parks.

What are your thoughts? 

Oh, one possible supplier: activervupholstery.com 

We choose to "REMOVE our film , about 8-10 hours carefully using GOOF Professional "It will peel off in some large blocks and some take time BUT THE PAINT IS PERFECT UNDERNEATH , Mold is trapped under that 3m clear film . Our  Monaco after 10 years Looks GREAT 

Sponsored Ad - Goo Gone Adhesive Remover Spray Gel - 2 Pack and Sticker Lifter - Removes Chewing Gum Grease Tar Stickers L...

asphalt star.jpg

I went the truck bed liner route. After grinding off the old bra material the application was simple with an undercoating gun. Color matching takes some practice but what a durable finish against bugs and rocks. 

• Like 1

I was able to remove my Diamond Shield with minimal use of solvents, etc.  I only had 1 small patch of paint that came off and it was under the front curve - not noticeable.  
You might want to try this first.  If you can’t get it off, or the paint starts to come off, then go with your original plan. 

I have been using https://llumar.com/na/en/about/  for over 20+ years. I had it installed on the sides of our 07 Executive, from the lower belt line down. It was 8 years old when I Sold the Coach. We were full timers, so we did have that type of use and exposure. It was flawless. I have also had 2 vehicles 75% wrapped in it, in Las Vegas, and with the temperature there, and the grit on the roadways constantly,  never had a single corner or edge failure. One vehicle has 120K miles on it, the other, 86K , so they are used daily. The wrapping on the vehicles are now 10 years old and still performing to an excellent standard one should/would expect. MANY car collectors use this, J Leno, to wrap cars when they buy them, and remove when they sell them. 

I would never consider those other 2 brands. 

On 9/10/2023 at 6:26 AM, Dr4Film said:

Most Monaco built coaches will have the Diamond Shield on the front even though it will be listed on your build sheet as 3M. 

There are a few companies in Florida that specialize in shield removal.

I used one of the Florida companies (Ft Myers area) to remove the shield from my 2005 HR Ambassador.  I couldn't ask for a better experience.  It did take most of the day to complete, but no paint loss, no nicks; perfect job.  Then they did a complete wax and buff of the entire front-end.  See before and after below.IMG_8887.jpg.09cd58049e2a4d524186d1517b2c5a0f.jpg

IMG_8899.thumb.jpg.937c91f74d8f71b8dee732b292ecb087.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pondering... just about concluded that I'm going to remove the film and buff out whatever is left of paint and wax it good.  Then put the cover over it when parked. That way, no chafing of paint while driving.  I'll reassess of course after I get the film off.  Gonna be my October project...

12 minutes ago, Agpopp said:

Real late to the party but......PO put one on. Looks great to me, and bugs come right off!

20230721_123708.jpg

Looks great!!  What make is that?  And where/how did you purchase? 

Thanks, 

Steve P

4 minutes ago, Steve P said:

I've been pondering... just about concluded that I'm going to remove the film and buff out whatever is left of paint and wax it good.  Then put the cover over it when parked. That way, no chafing of paint while driving.  I'll reassess of course after I get the film off.  Gonna be my October project...

Looks great!!  What make is that?  And where/how did you purchase? 

Thanks, 

Steve P

I didn't buy it, buts it's very good quality. Tag says its from here....

https://goldenhorizonrv.com/pricing/

• 1 month later...

Hi. At first I was really disappointed that the Patriot we adopted had this on it, but it has grown on me and there are no worries when power washing the front.  Not sure why they did it, but it is what it is.

PXL_20231027_192053334.jpg

PXL_20231027_192046496.jpg

PXL_20231027_192039552.jpg

How about....  A sprayed on, professionally DONE, truck bed liner.  My bet's on that..... and YES, it should be tough as nails.  NOW, if you ever see, at a show or in a campground, the folks putting on the FILM....a GOOD quality 3M, get them to polish and squeege on film on your headlights.  NEVER have to polish them again.  5 plus years and my still shine and glisten...  Wish I had had them do the Yukon....could have slipped the guy a $20 and he would have had it done in 5 minutes and enjoyed a higher grade of Tequila that night...