To Toad or not to Toad... that is but the question

Rikadoo

Good morning everyone, so I have a question in which the tittle is self evident. I have been planning a rather long trip from the West coast to the East coast, originally I was planning to bring an ole work buddy in which we would go to the destination and return. Yesterday I was talking with him and now his plans have changed where he now once we get to the destination out east he says now he ending his journey for the trip back in order so he can fly out to visit family then from that plans to fly home. Im ok with all that, however originally I was going to tow my pick up behind the coach using my Dollie, however now that I will be faced with the return trip home by my self I considering NOT bringing my truck for fear if I need to for any reason have to unhook to turn around or ??? I will be doing it all myself which anyone who has used a Dollie knows what that whole operation looks like. I know what traveling on the road with out ground transportation looks like and the idea makes me wanting I wish that I was able to flat tow cause the operation is not that involved compared to using a Dollie. My question is: has anyone traveled with out a toad and how difficult is it trying to get around to get things done. Is it manageable or if you have done that sans toad did you regret it. 

Its funny how the Universe challenges us to see if we really want to follow our decisions...

We had a Class C for +11 years and never pulled a toad and would only occasionally drive a separate vehicle.  It is limiting not having a toad but we survived.

When we first bought our Windsor in 2008 we made a couple short trips without a toad but in 2009 made the epic trip to Alaska without a toad.  What a mistake not being able to get out and explore.   We missed out on a lot of things. 

So within a couple months of return I bought a used Jeep Grand Cherokee and set it up to tow.  I will always pull it no matter how short of trip, not a problem for me to unhook and hook up again, hell I've even done it when I was in a pinch to fuel up.  My wife will take trips without the toad, her decision. 

You case is a little different if you have a dolly, not as easy to unload/load but to me having another vehicle is worth headache.  If nothing else having another vehicle in case of emergency. 

But it's your decision on whether to "Toad or not to Toad"

• Like 1

If you are not staying near fairly sizable towns and cities where Enterprise rental and/or Uber/Lyft are available, you are going to find the simplest errands immensely frustrating.  You can't backup when flat towing, so that is no better, although unhooking may be easier (I have nothing to compare to... we flat tow).  Just map your RV-friendly route in advance with RV Life and use their GPS.  THAT alone will keep you out of the jams from turns down a dead end, or stopped just short of a low overpass.  

Just in case, practice unhooking until you get it down to a few minutes (using a checklist is especially helpful when under pressure to "hurry up and get out of the way").

If you put the pickup completely on a trailer, it might solve some problems, but it does add a whole new set of potential issues to prepare for.   And you could trade the pickup for one that is flat towable.

Hi Rik,

I can sympathize. I absolutely agree about the need for transportation separate from your motor home, unless perhaps if you are driving a class B or perhaps small class C.

I am in the process of changing to a 4 down from a dolly. I would say it all depends on your situation. Since you already own a dolly my initial thought would be to use it however depending on your age, dexterity and strength this does come with added issues such as how well you can get up and down, and move the dolly around by yourself when empty. Also, how often do you plan to move. If you are moving once every two to four weeks this may not be a big deal but if you are moving every couple of days that can be a whole other story. Using a gps that is programmable for your height, width, length and weight can keep you out of the need to back up for the most part but that is not guaranteed. I speak with authority on this. This will mean perhaps more needed advance scouting when it comes to parks and parking lots.

On the other hand, switching to 4 down can be complicated and expensive. Once you start buying a tow bar, braking system, base plate, brak-a-way cable system, umbilical cable, etc you can easily spend $2500-$4500 dollars. Then is the labor to outfit your vehicle, if you are not in a position to do it yourself. That again can be $1000 to $4500. Lastly , is your current tow vehicle tow-able 4 down or dolly or trailer only. 

If your intended tow car is your 98 Grand Cherokee and since you already have a dolly, and assuming this is not your plan to generally take long trips but that this is a one off, I might be inclined to invest in a gps system for RV (or possibly use RV Life Pro and your phone if you prefer) and take my time. Another thought might be to invest in an e-bike that you can carry in the Cherokee, for use when you need transportation for short jaunts where in you would not want to disconnect the dolly.

In my case, at 69, dealing with the dolly on trips where we were moving every couple of days was becoming a hassle, although it was more of an issue for my wife than for me. When we were faced with having to decide about replacing the dolly or go 4 down and with our dolly only vehicle surpassing 250K miles and needing to be replaced as well were chose to go 4-down. This has not been a cheap endeavor and since I opted to do the labor myself it has proven to be a lot more time consuming then the Youtubes would have you believe; at least with our new 2023 Equinox. 

Good luck with your decision. In the end it is a personal one as all options come with there one set of challenges and trade offs.

Edited by 1nolaguy

1 hour ago, Donflem said:

Ford Maverick HYBRID truck can flat tow new for under 30k if you’re going to get something you want to flat tow.

BUT…yes to the HYBRID….but realize it has a CVT tranny.  You MUST flush and maintain it meticulously….and if you do any towing…even light….Ford recommends shorter intervals.  Thank “gotta get higher EPA numbers” for the across the board transition to CVT and them critters are not rebuildable by dealers or shops….  You buy new or get a factory refurbished one.  Can’t tear it down and rebuild….

My GD is nursing a CVT car and we plan to dispose when she graduates next spring and let her “walk” the first year of college and buy ONLY a CVT model that has had the recommended service intervals…. 

Your signature says you tow a 98 Grand Cherokee, but you write up mentions wanting to tow a pickup.  
I originally had a dolly then changed over to flat towing.  Flat towing is definitely easier to connect and disconnect, but the dolly wasn’t terribly hard.  
After experiencing a breakdown once, I decided I will never use the coach without a tow vehicle attached.  
If you’re traveling cross county you definitely don’t want to take a chance on being “vehicle less”.  

In regards to just answering your question. Yes you can do it and be just fine the trick is careful detailed planning. I did it the first 4 yrs I owned mine. you need to pick your destinations and look for CG's or parks with shuttles or public transportation close by etc.. a few times when that just wasn't in the cards we used Enterprize because they will come to you and bring you back when your done. It's easy to restock your supplies at large supermarkets, Walmart etc.. Even Home depot and Lowes are large enough when you need a minor fix. 

Roy Mercier  2003 Dynasty

We used to have a dolly because we had a number of different vehicles have we wanted to take it various times. The dolly work well for that, but now we have one flat tow vehicle that is much easier to connect and disconnect.

Having said that, we prepared our main vehicle for Dolly towing to make it quicker to load and unload. Modifications included wiring tail lights to a connector underneath the dash, and a comparable connector at the Dolly wheel, well for easy electrical connection. One of the best modifications was mounting eye bolts to the frame under the front of the car so that safety chains could be connected in seconds instead of crawling around and looping over axles.

Overall, with a good checklist, I was able to load and unload the car in less then 10 minutes.