S-Series front and rear airbag

Go to solution Solved by jfbolkovatz,

On our way to Palo Duro Canyon and was lubing the chassie.  I notice one of the rear bag was a may pop. Just so happen the previous owner left me one Meritor FS8897. Now I want to replace the rest of the air bags. My question is are the rest on the air bags on a 04 Executive use the same air bag? Thank you!  

Google is your friend....and the results might impact your future investing and financial planning....

Put in Meritor FS8897....into Google.  All that is needed.  First hit was $600 and NO RETURNS....next is the one below....hey 40% less...

https://www.wheelerfleet.com/product/air-spring/640166

LOTS of listings....  Hope this helps

NOW as to your REAL question....  I THINK SO...but am NOT the expert.  We have some listings for air bags in the Partslist.  The ONLY ones that are different go back to the late 90's.  Based on the pictures....there was a "Double Bag" ...think two donuts stacked up...but MOST were single bags....and if so, my GUT, often wrong, says YES.

Here is a topic for you.  Read down to the last post.  There is info for an Executive.... but OBVIOUSLY your MH weighs more.  The reading is good though....gives you a perspective and the Meritor may NOT be the only game in town....

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/airbag-part-numbers-for-monaco-coach-433721.html

NOW, for your information, the SEARCH button at the TOP is a great tool.  I used AIR BAG EXECUTIVE.  and the clicked on Everywhere and chose TOPICS.  There were maybe 3 or so...but this one was interesting...

You could use "Bag Executive" or Meritor Executive or any other term...and might get some more hits on different topics.  That is the best way....research and then post...  Thanks,

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jfbolkovatz said:

The "S" Designation is for a side radiator chassis. I believe you will find that the front 4 air bags are the same but have a larger fitting for the air connection. On our 03 Exec all 10 bags are the same except for the air  fitting.

JoeB

Same on ours. Since all the bags use 1/4" line, I see no good point in different fitting size, I just used a reducer fitting. Even the original had a reducer so I don't get.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for a great response 👍 I had already found a source for the air bags. It's the same one that @Happycarz found for $142 ContiTech AS8897, it's a directreplacement for Monaco. Just wanted to know if anyone replaced all 10 of the air bags to see if it was all the same bags. Thanks again for the help. Now the fun began!

image.png.ceb765987e576f3a3a0f3f54681967df.png

19 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Same on ours. Since all the bags use 1/4" line, I see no good point in different fitting size, I just used a reducer fitting. Even the original had a reducer so I don't get.

The larger fitting and lines may be for ping tanks.  Basically it's a small air tank that increases the volume, thereby softening the spring rate and giving a softer ride.

• Like 1

Several members in our club have replaced their Air Bags.  The front and rear bags are the same so far in all the coaches that have been changed.  The coaches that have been done are Sigs , Executives and Dynasty.  The front air bag use the 3/4 fitting on the air bag and the rear bags reduce the 3/4  hole down in size.  The bags you have found are the same ones we have all used and might be the best price you can find.  Just a side note most of us that changed our bags went from the press in fit to the compression style fittings.  Since my bags have been replaced my air leveling system has stayed in level mode for as long as 2 weeks, a very big improvement from before the new bags.

• Like 4

Does anyone have a secret on how to access the DS front/rear bag on a '09 Sig. I was able to R/R the PS front/front with some unusual dexterity, but I can barely get my hand on the DS fitting let alone get a wrench on it. Am thinking of cutting access from the front bay to get to the air spring but I really hate to do that.

Do your rear fenders come off? I don’t have a tag axle, but both my rears and one of my front fenders came off. I know some coaches have molded into the bodywork fenders that don’t come off. I was fortunate. Maybe you will be too. I looked a some online photos of 2009 Signatures, but they are not clear enough. I think yours come off too.

After I removed the fasteners, keeping track of the spacers (washers) I then had to cut some spayed in black foam to release the fenders. Once air bags were replaced and fenders reinstalled, I used black spray foam to compete the job.

IMG_1486.jpeg

Edited by Happycarz
Add picture
  • Like 1

Over on IRV2 there is a member that has a thread titled “Mods/Upgrade to our 2003 Dynasty”. He is a very talented guy and he posted the details on replacing all of his airbags. I don’t know what page it is on but it’s certainly worth reading.

Several ppl have used a sawzall or a knife, and cut the old bag out.  Soak the fasteners and what ever else with a 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone. The absolute best penetrating agent I have ever used.

Some ppl have purchased a "cheap" wrench or wrench's at Harbor Freight for the bolts on the top of the bag, heated them to an angle to use on those bolts on the FRONT Bags.

10 hours ago, Happycarz said:

Do your rear fenders come off? I don’t have a tag axle, but both my rears and one of my front fenders came off. I know some coaches have molded into the bodywork fenders that don’t come off. I was fortunate. Maybe you will be too. I looked a some online photos of 2009 Signatures, but they are not clear enough. I think yours come off too.

After I removed the fasteners, keeping track of the spacers (washers) I then had to cut some spayed in black foam to release the fenders. Once air bags were replaced and fenders reinstalled, I used black spray foam to compete the job.

IMG_1486.jpeg

Do the newer coaches not have wheel well liners?
My '93 has thick, tough black plastic surrounding the rear wheels, protecting the airbags and lines from road debris.

10 hours ago, Happycarz said:

IMG_1486.jpeg

Do the newer coaches not have inner fender liners?  My 1993 has thick, tough plastic sheets surrounding the rear tires, protecting the airbags and lines from road debris.
The front has small rubber "mud flaps" between the bags and the tires.
I don't see either in this picture, leaving the bags completely exposed to anything picked up by the tires.

David, you are right. Both my 93 Dynasty and 99 Dynasty had the inner fender liners.  My 08 Camelot does not. My airbags were showing slight cracking so I replaced them. With AZ being hot and dry probably added to the deterioration of them.

Only after removing them could I see the full extent of the deterioration. It was an area that never saw light of day.

IMG_1477.jpeg

• Like 1

No the 09 Sig does not have removable fenders. I think the only way to get to the 1 1/8" air fitting is to cut the fiber wall from inside the bay. There is simply no way to get a wrench on the fitting and apply any force at all. To loosen the fitting on the front bag I had to hold a 2x4 against the wrench while a helper hit it about 10 times with a 20# sledge hammer. It must have taken more than 200 ft# to break it loose. Once loose it spun off with ease.