M & M RV Electronics Ohio City, OH

Cajunboy1959

Has anyone used M & M RV Electronics for fixing obsolete rv Electronics?

I gave been to their website and it seems like they know what there doing. I'm just checking to see if anyone on Monacoers has any knowledge of them.

Thanks 

I did 2 years ago for a rebuild of the ECM control board for my 2006 Monaco Signature 600hp ISX, from the day it was shipped to them from Texarkana TX and back to the shop in Texarkana was 2 weeks, it looked brand new, I highly recommend them, oh I found out my ECM was bad when the engine shut off at 70 mph on US 49 south of Jackson MS, took 2 days limping home (2 shops thought algae in the tank since we wintered in Florida) - yeah fun times. 

IMG_0316.JPG

• Like 1

Sticking to site rules, I will tell you my first-hand personal experience with them has not been good. Wanted me to replace good parts with overpriced parts from them. 

I’ve heard from others, but I’ll let them tell their stories. 

Depending on what needs fixing, I and other people on this site have people and shops we can recommend for repairs. 

• Like 1

I have had them do several things for us.  Reprogram the multiplex switches to do various things they didn't do prior, they recorded the software for our coach, they have rebuilt 2 switch panels.  All said I have been very pleased, both with the price and turn around time.

3 hours ago, willbo777 said:

I have had them do several things for us.  Reprogram the multiplex switches to do various things they didn't do prior, they recorded the software for our coach, they have rebuilt 2 switch panels.  All said I have been very pleased, both with the price and turn around time.

Thanks willbo777

PER SITE RULES.  I shall try to only list or comment on my personal experiences with M&M, however, I am aware of many individuals, including a well respected RV tech and his circle, that are disappointed and are looking for alternatives...

I am also aware that many members have had excellent experiences....and that is good news...  and hope it continues.  But, from a macro view...the landscape, to me has changed.

M&M was a good  source.  They were actually “contracted” by Intellitec when the “main tech guy” had a coronary.  I started talking to them, many years ago.  Father and son.  They were, at least a few times, wintering in Florida and addresses our gathering several times.  I had my hybrid Intellitec switches backed up because they said….you can NOT reprogram without this and it will be a nightmare.  Later found out, that we have a few here, could duplicate or determine the correct codes from the Monaco Prints.  So, the “Carte blanch statement might have been a bit exaggerated.  They did do a LOT of complex jobs for customers where the CPU was destroyed.  From SCRATCH.

In addition, we have, in case it is NOT KNOWN, at least TWO MEMBERS that have equal, and in some cases, MORE expertise and ability to repair Intellitec Boards.  They often do this for members and they don't exactly "charge", but I DO know members that often respond with gift cards or such....as a THANK YOU and not a "fee".  I'll leave it at that....  

However, I am aware, now that many of our members, now know, that the precious “CPU program” for the Dynasty and up, are universal for one year…SO, if you have a copy or can get one....it will work,  if there are exotic features like TV up and Down….its all in there.  BUT if the MH never had that function on the Output modules did NOT have the feature….the CPU is never called or asked as there is NO switch.  Thus, a 3 week, 2 tech job, costly….could have been done by having another member’s “backup”.  This was never made clear to me in all my conversations with M&M.

In addition, if you search the posts here, many members have been given assistance to isolate and resolve simple issues and the aforementioned experts have helped them offline.  This is NOT a publicly announced item....but they often help out if they see the issue. Therefore, it is great that others have had their boards repaired...but we do have resources here...perhaps that is the MAIN theme that needs addressing.

Personally, again, per our site rules….I had an unusual switch issue.  Their interest was LOW.  They were not responsive.  @Frank McElroy spent a lot of time on the phone with me and we had a member that could reprogram the switch while I was at the 2018 Gathering.  He then reprogrammed a spare switch he had and swapped….I put it in.  FIXED.  I had a spare "Part" that Frank needed....so, I shipped it to him as a thank you.  I did call M&M back...to give them what I thought was needed feedback....as a follow up.  "OH, yeah that DOES happen…. Tactile ghosts…."  Goodbye.  They never ONCE mentioned that.

Again, trying to follow our site rules and NOT discussing offline issues that I have been aware of....These are my personal experiences or interactions...and they date back to probably 2013 as I advised folks to use them on the old site.....  I have NO insight as to the specific issue posted.  

I would do a LOT of googling and learn specifically about the controller issue and see what the options were.  M&M may have expanded into such, but their original forte and maybe 90% of their business, per THEIR INPUT in the past when I talked to them and arranged for them to address our Gathering, was fixing Magnum problems and working on Intellitec MPX and other INTELLITEC products. 

I WAS told by the aforementioned RV tech that the labor charges for repairs were increasing or "skyrocketing" (direct quote as his customers were shocked) ...and he did not mark up their costs...he passed along and charged for his diagnostic time and the removal and reinstallation.  

As a "Staff Member" I was somewhat, to a minor degree, involved in planning or assisting in many Gathering projects.  David Pratt was the point man and does MOST of the work.  The past sessions have been great.  Below is my understanding and a synopsis of what happened in the 2017 planning and why M&M has not been involved since...

They were invited again for the 2017 Gathering and finally called back.  We were informed by the son that they really were not interested in doing a presentation because they felt they did not see any monetary gain for them. He did express that for a FEE they would consider coming and doing a presentation. That ended any further contact with them as the "Monacoers" Staff did not want to promote their company or services any further to our group.

• Like 2

I have had 2 Intellitec boards rebuilt successfully.  Turnaround time was about 2 weeks.  Before sending any card in for repair I talked to the tech involved and he confirmed my suspicions.  In my case there was no alternative as our coach would have become a set piece otherwise.  Recommended.

22 hours ago, powerpro2000 said:

I would suggest you read the Kongsburg thread. Contact Frank McElroy on this site. He is a MUCH better source to help with your issue. I cannot recommend the "Candy Shop" 

A 12-page read...

Here's the passage to which I think powerpro2000 is refering: https://www.monacoers.org/topic/5849-kongsburg-ccm-alternative-restoration-replacement-2009-signature/page/11/#comments:~:text=do not lie.-,I will not mention,-a specific shop

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, VinceB said:

Thank you both for doing the digging. Please scroll up a few posts, as my yesterday’s post was just “unhidden”.  This and what I was told by reputable techs and my own involvement, personally, prompted my post.  However, I “self moderated” in that I hid it from the general membership for review by the  entire  “staff”, who all agreed that it was appropriate and correct and met or complied with the site’s rules….so, there was no “special” privilege or such….it summarized our concerns….

I had meant to find the post which summarized our concerns but due to “Honey Do” work day….I didn’t have time…and then the post was unhidden or released.

• Like 1

I guess a drowning person will take any assistance. 

That was my position in ~2014, we were getting ready to leave on a trip and the EMS was dead.  I tried everything to get it up and running and ultimately called M&M.  Who ever I talked to was very patient and walked me through a reset procedure, that didn't work.  Ultimately determined that my board was out. 

I got prices on the components required for the upgrade to the 760 model, new display, board, and wiring harnesses.  I had already done some searching and M&M quoted a fair price, considering the time they spent helping diagnose.  The caveat was that we were leaving the next day and M&M agreed to ship it to the destination I was going to be at in "2 days".  I did receive the package and got it fixed. 

So I am pleased with my interaction. 

48 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I guess a drowning person will take any assistance. 

That was my position in ~2014, we were getting ready to leave on a trip and the EMS was dead.  I tried everything to get it up and running and ultimately called M&M.  Who ever I talked to was very patient and walked me through a reset procedure, that didn't work.  Ultimately determined that my board was out. 

I got prices on the components required for the upgrade to the 760 model, new display, board, and wiring harnesses.  I had already done some searching and M&M quoted a fair price, considering the time they spent helping diagnose.  The caveat was that we were leaving the next day and M&M agreed to ship it to the destination I was going to be at in "2 days".  I did receive the package and got it fixed. 

So I am pleased with my interaction. 

I guess things may have changed in the past 9-10 years. In April of this year I spoke to M&M about replacing a bad CCM in my coach. I was told they had one but the price was $18,000!!! Seriously. I found a new one at REVGroup for $1,200. The list of other less than ethical business practices are lengthy although I won't elaborate here. They may know what they are doing, problem is you don't know what they are doing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, powerpro2000 said:

They may know what they are doing, problem is you don't know what they are doing.

This is true on just about any repair facility unless you yourself have some knowledge of what is involved. 

I like to use the term "trust but verify" but in a lot of cases you are at the mercy of the shop. 

I was having a problem with my Jeep, it had already had the ignition key recall done which solved the problem for a little while but the intermittent loss of dash power started up again.  I spent quite a bit of time searching for an answer and finally found a video that mirrored my problems and it was a fairly simple fix.  There was a wiring harness that tied the ignition switch to the rest of the power to the dash.  This was not part of the recall.  The part was fairly inexpensive so I thought I'd just have Jeep replace the part.  Went to the Jeep dealer and asked them what it would cost to replace the part, they said they would not do it without first diagnosing the problem and minimum charge was $250 just to get it in the door and then I would have been at their mercy.  Since it was an intermittent problem the chances were pretty slim they'd diagnose it.  So I walked away (forever from them).

More Youtube searches and found one that showed how to changed the part, which meant partial disassembly of the dash and working blind (with my fat fingers and hands) on changing the part.  Nothing to loose so I bought the part and ~45 minutes later the part was in and I haven't had another problem with loosing power to the dash.

11 hours ago, pwhittle said:

@Frank McElroy and I can fix most Intellitec issues. We have backups of most, if not all, years. We can backup and program CPU’s and switch panels.

I have helped an owner whose Intellitec CPU was water damaged get his coach operational again. I have been successful at replacing faulty switches on switch panels.

I will happily make you a backup or program a CPU or switch panel for you. No charge.

I have a small number of Intellitec spares, including CPU’s, that I have bought when I can find them. I don’t need more than one, but I buy them so other owners can keep their coaches working. I will sell them to you if you need them. I charge to replace switches on switch panels. It takes a while to do and verify they are operational.

I have also been successful at repairing the Faria Beede gauges in the 2005+ Signatures and Execs. I charge for that too as it takes time to open up the gauges and do the repair then reseal them and test them. I shared all the info here so owners could do it themselves if they were so equipped.

Any money I get is only used to buy more equipment or for other RV projects that often help others.

Paul

I had a bad switch panel and @pwhittle sold me a new one at a very reasonable price.  I sent the bad panel to @Frank McElroy so we can keep all this knowledge within this great forum.  These gentlemen are my first go to for these type of issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Bill R said:

I had a bad switch panel and @pwhittle sold me a new one at a very reasonable price.  I sent the bad panel to @Frank McElroy so we can keep all this knowledge within this great forum.  These gentlemen are my first go to for these type of issues.

Bill, thanks for the reminder.  I'm in the process now of looking at a few failed Intellitec keypad boards sent to me by  @pwhittle  that aren't working.  I'll add yours to the project.  Easy fixes are the mechanical switch replacement but these board have a different internal component failure.  Once i identify the weak link and figure out a fix, this will help rebuild a supply of working replacement boards.  Yes, these boards also have a MicroChip with programmable software on it.  Luckily, these MicroChips are a lot easier to replace and reprogram vs those on the Kongsberg chassis multiplex coaches.

• Like 4

Hi Frank,

Thanks for all your input and wisdom. It is much appreciated.  Can you repair the power gear duel motor synchronization controller model # 140-1140.  The board has 6 relays, several components such as resistors, capacitors, diods and micro chips. Please see attached picture. Both of the motors work fine with 12 volts supplied directly to them. Wiring harnesses check out good. Any help would be appreciated. 20230614_102641.thumb.jpg.61956ef5e057bb6b0918460efc91cbf0.jpg20230614_102641.thumb.jpg.61956ef5e057bb6b0918460efc91cbf0.jpg20230613_163459.thumb.jpg.d1bf13c2039dea5608446c2f432c013d.jpg20231026_135803.thumb.jpg.7a4ed0d0c3d0b1e15e8c514e5aa78891.jpg20231026_135800.thumb.jpg.283e70ead960137af705ddc1e081f8ed.jpg

20230614_102547.jpg

No, I've never had to repair this item.  If I couldn't source a replacement part, what I would do is to replace any of the aluminum can electrolytic capacitors and if that didn't solve the issue, just replace the relays.  Naturally it would be good to try the narrow down what isn't working but without a circuit board schematic and testing voltage outputs from the board, there aren't a lot of options.

google may be your friend.  I used 140-1140 Power Gear.  

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/work-around-for-a-curbside-rear-slideout-operation-280580-2.html

this thread discusses how to “manually” resynch the motors.  There is also a post in there about how to install two “work around” switches with resettable fuses and you basically “bypass” the controller.  NOW….my knowledge of it is minimal.  But, my take is that it is a current sensing device and it then uses resistance to lower the voltage to the motors ….or basically, if one motor is “carrying” the load….ie, has a higher current, then that motor is slowed down by reducing the voltage and this back and forth voltage adjustments, based on current sensing, keeps the motors “in synch”.  NOW…do NOT ask for any more technical details.  This is NOT some NASA technology.  Current limiters to prevent mechanical damage or physical harm has been used on power window motors for years.

I would keep googling and reading and maybe the controller is OK or you can use the switches and keep the slide lubed.

Curious about M&M’s cost to repair.  There ARE some new ones out there….or so some of the ads imply.

Hi Tom,

I have looked for a Power Gear 140-1140 duel motor synchronization controller for several months with no luck. I've contacted over 10 RV junk yards. They should be called " gold mines" My last resort will be to put 2 separate switches one for each motor. M&M Electronics said they have repaired several of these controllers. They offered to diagnose the controller for $95.00. I have to pay for shipping to and from. Before looking at the board they gave me a repair range from $400.00 - $800.00 over the phone.  I shipped to them last week. I'll provide more information as I get it. They said about 2-3 week turn around from start to end.

17 minutes ago, Cajunboy1959 said:

Hi Tom,

I have looked for a Power Gear 140-1140 duel motor synchronization controller for several months with no luck. I've contacted over 10 RV junk yards. They should be called " gold mines" My last resort will be to put 2 separate switches one for each motor. M&M Electronics said they have repaired several of these controllers. They offered to diagnose the controller for $95.00. I have to pay for shipping to and from. Before looking at the board they gave me a repair range from $400.00 - $800.00 over the phone.  I shipped to them last week. I'll provide more information as I get it. They said about 2-3 week turn around from start to end.

Sounds like it is in their hands.  Let us know how it turns out.  If M&M really wanted to become a “gold mine”, they should come up with a “control” or “rheostat” replacement for the Teleflex Kongsberg accelerator pedal, used on, i think, most Monaco’s from say 2005 to 2011 or so….don’t hold me to the date when it was taken out of manufacturing….  We are seeing these go sky high.  A few years ago….NEW NOS ones were $250 or so….now used are 3X and new….OUTTA SIGHT.

Keep us posted.