Jump to content

General GPS screen sizes, costs, value and performance discussion.


Go to solution Solved by dandick66,

Recommended Posts

Ben, I think you are spot on. I invested in a Garmin 890 and now find it a total waste of money. Even after installing the latest updates the maps and POI files are so out dated as to not cover major road changes and additions that are 4 or more years old and the POI don't even show camp grounds that have been built in the last several years, even those of major chains like Thousand Trails.  

I find I have to run Tripwizard and Google maps because Garmin is simply not dependable. Two weeks ago Google took me for 7.2 miles on a 4 lane road outside of San Antonio, TX that was at least 4 years old. Garmin showed me driving through fields.

A bigger screen doesn't help when the data is outdated.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Tom Cherry changed the title to General GPS screen sizes, costs, value and performance discussion.
10 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

Ben, I think you are spot on. I invested in a Garmin 890 and now find it a total waste of money. Even after installing the latest updates the maps and POI files are so out dated as to not cover major road changes and additions that are 4 or more years old and the POI don't even show camp grounds that have been built in the last several years, even those of major chains like Thousand Trails.  

I find I have to run Tripwizard and Google maps because Garmin is simply not dependable. Two weeks ago Google took me for 7.2 miles on a 4 lane road outside of San Antonio, TX that was at least 4 years old. Garmin showed me driving through fields.

A bigger screen doesn't help when the data is outdated.

X2 on this, prior to my last trip I updated both the GPS for the coach and the car. 

First time I went to take a trip found that the POI didn't load so I to move the larger one to my Jeep.  Later did the down load again and it did update but I found it wasn't finding things that it should.   Same with the Garmin 760 for the coach, it wasn't finding POI's so I have to find it with my phone, get the address and put it in. 

Also found that the Garmin 760 seemed to be several hundred feet off, not providing accurate info as when to turn.  Usually not a big deal but it did cause me to miss a ramp on my last trip.  So what I ended up doing was to use my Iphone as a back up for directions.  The Iphone had much better turning directions and seemed to be way more accurate.  So I used the Garmin 760 for the RV friendly route but listened to the Iphone for directions. 

Very disappointed.   Prior to my next trip I'll go through the update exercise again.

As to screen size, I'd rather have an accurate GPS then a big one, so if I had to go with a smaller screen that's what I'd do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jacwjames said:

X2 on this, prior to my last trip I updated both the GPS for the coach and the car. 

First time I went to take a trip found that the POI didn't load so I to move the larger one to my Jeep.  Later did the down load again and it did update but I found it wasn't finding things that it should.   Same with the Garmin 760 for the coach, it wasn't finding POI's so I have to find it with my phone, get the address and put it in. 

Also found that the Garmin 760 seemed to be several hundred feet off, not providing accurate info as when to turn.  Usually not a big deal but it did cause me to miss a ramp on my last trip.  So what I ended up doing was to use my Iphone as a back up for directions.  The Iphone had much better turning directions and seemed to be way more accurate.  So I used the Garmin 760 for the RV friendly route but listened to the Iphone for directions. 

Very disappointed.   Prior to my next trip I'll go through the update exercise again.

As to screen size, I'd rather have an accurate GPS then a big one, so if I had to go with a smaller screen that's what I'd do.

I'd never buy a dedicated GPS these days.
I'd get an Android Auto capable stereo, with a large screen, and connect it to my phone for navigation.
This gets you always updated maps, accurate traffic and speed trap data, and a nice head unit all in one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

I'd never buy a dedicated GPS these days.
I'd get an Android Auto capable stereo, with a large screen, and connect it to my phone for navigation.
This gets you always updated maps, accurate traffic and speed trap data, and a nice head unit all in one.

Your probably right, but, too late for me!

I just replaced my standalone RV-GPS.

{edit} Although, the portability of the standalone allowed me to quickly move it from the RV to my car for a trip out of town last week!

Edited by 96 EVO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Only issue is that in remote areas a phone will  not work.

A GPS will work where ever you are that has a clear sky above. 

So I'll stick to using phone & GPS

You can download offline maps for a pretty large area where no service is expected. I always do it when I expect that, mainly when offroading.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

You can download offline maps for a pretty large area where no service is expected. I always do it when I expect that, mainly when offroading.

With no signal how does a phone triangulate for your position?? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution
On 11/18/2023 at 10:11 PM, 96 EVO said:

Wonder why the difference between a 50" and 60" 4KTV is a couple of hundred dollars these days, but a 10" GPS is worth double what a 7" costs 🤔?

 

I think it’s because the GPS manufacturer’s have figured out there is a niche market for the larger displays and they charge what the market will bear.  
 

As far as accuracy of Garmin vs Android or Apple, I really don’t trust any of them 100 percent.  I just drove from Virginia to Florida and back in my 2020 Ram pickup.  It has the 12 inch display with built in navigation.  Unfortunately, the maps are outdated and they want $150 for a new map.  When I connect Apple Car Play or Android Auto, the display shrinks to a much smaller size.  Anyhow, I’ve made this trip many times and know the route/roads.  For some reason Car Play wanted to route me different ways, both going from Virginia and Florida.  
 

For the reasons above, I always look at my route on a tablet or computer so I have a good idea of where I’m going and what roads to take.  It’s not a big deal with a car, but as we all know the coaches are a different breed.  
 

Trust, but verify is a good mantra for GPS navigation.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Your probably right, but, too late for me!

I just replaced my standalone RV-GPS.

{edit} Although, the portability of the standalone allowed me to quickly move it from the RV to my car for a trip out of town last week!

Right! Wrong or Indifferent…..there are many places in NC….in the vast coastal area or in the mountains where there be NO Cell service….as well as being “lost” after the iPhone lost service in the mountains and the Yukon Nav got us back.  We have traveled in every lower 48 and also at least 5 Canadian provinces.  We have used the Garmin 760 RV for all “best RV routings”.  I have always had a TOAD with a NAV system.  There are many times where we drove 25 - 50 miles without cell in the west and mid west and south west.  This was in MH or in Toad.  Having a real Sat Nav based system has been a blessing….as well as a necessity.

YES, I use my Cell and such when in the TOAD…..but been close to lost in some state and national parks and the NAV system saved us hours….or worse.  I also carry a hand held GPS when hiking.

It is a disappointing that the newer Garmins don’t have the reliability of my 760.  It has been a “tank”.  The only issue was a tear in the bend of the rubber connector and a dab of JB Weld repaired that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are lucky to download any updates.  I bought a Magellan Roadmate with lifetime updates only to find out that you cannot use later versions of Safari browser as Magellan doesn’t bother with this apple browser.  Contacted customer service, they told me Magellan only interfaces with Google Chrome or firefox! Installed on my Mac, still didn’t work & Magellan doesn’t  care.  Wasted my money, but it makes a great paperweight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Just like a tablet or iPad with no cell subscription, GPS satelites.

Ivan,

I spent some time yesterday looking at this option.

I only had Apple maps on my phone and could not get it set up to work .....  so further research and I concluded I needed a different map.  So this morning I downloaded Google maps. 

Trying to find how to use with satelite but it's not giving me an option as shown on Wikihow.  Any suggestions???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dandick66 said:

I think it’s because the GPS manufacturer’s have figured out there is a niche market for the larger displays and they charge what the market will bear.  
 

 

I guess that's what it comes down to!

Recall several decades ago, when Plasma TV's were just being introduced, went into a Sony store and they had a 36" Plasma, selling for $23,000!

Don't know how many they sold!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ordered a Garmin GVN51, integrated with the Aladdin system on my coach. It came with a handheld remote control, very easy to use. But three years later Garmin stopped updating maps for it.

No problem, I put a cell phone sticky pad on my steering column and placed my iPad on it. With no steering wheel air bag, no problem.

Just another way to handle the navigation  

IMG_4626.jpeg

Edited by Happycarz
Add
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/19/2023 at 5:45 PM, jacwjames said:

Only issue is that in remote areas a phone will  not work.

A GPS will work where ever you are that has a clear sky above. 

So I'll stick to using phone & GPS

My phone stores the trip when I first enter it, so if it goes offline my navigation is not affected.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:14 PM, jacwjames said:

With no signal how does a phone triangulate for your position?? 

 

It uses GPS, just like a dedicated GPS unit does.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Right! Wrong or Indifferent…..there are many places in NC….in the vast coastal area or in the mountains where there be NO Cell service….as well as being “lost” after the iPhone lost service in the mountains and the Yukon Nav got us back.  We have traveled in every lower 48 and also at least 5 Canadian provinces.  We have used the Garmin 760 RV for all “best RV routings”.  I have always had a TOAD with a NAV system.  There are many times where we drove 25 - 50 miles without cell in the west and mid west and south west.  This was in MH or in Toad.  Having a real Sat Nav based system has been a blessing….as well as a necessity.

YES, I use my Cell and such when in the TOAD…..but been close to lost in some state and national parks and the NAV system saved us hours….or worse.  I also carry a hand held GPS when hiking.

It is a disappointing that the newer Garmins don’t have the reliability of my 760.  It has been a “tank”.  The only issue was a tear in the bend of the rubber connector and a dab of JB Weld repaired that.  

Phones use the exact same GPS satellites for navigation as a standalone GPS, and often their receivers and processors far exceed what the standalones have as well.
Apple may have issues when cell service is lost, but my Android just puts up a little notice that it is offline, and continues operating just fine.
The only features I lose when offline are real-time traffic and speed-trap warnings.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Are trying to download a map in Google Maps? Like this?

Screenshot_20231120-092924.png

IMG_20231120_101138611_HDR.jpg

Thanks Ivan

I'll dig into it a little more when I get a chance. 

Being able to use my Iphone as a backup would be great.  When I was in Utah and CO there were quite a few places with no cell reception. 

It would also be nice to be able to rely on the Garmin products.  I don't know if they are intentionally not fully supporting the older units or not but I would think that if bought one with Life Time Maps you'd get the POI's to go with them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Ă—
Ă—
  • Create New...