Denso starter

Go to solution Solved by Doug and Nicki,

I am having slow crank issues with my 2008 M11 Cummins. I know I have proper voltage to the starter so figure it may be a starter solenoid problem. Rather than going the route of reconditioning the solenoid, I am thinking about replacing the entire starter with a Denso 4280000-4430, which is a gear reduction starter that has a lot of good reviews. Anyone have input that I should be considering before going this route?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Doug and Nicki said:

I am having slow crank issues with my 2008 M11 Cummins. I know I have proper voltage to the starter so figure it may be a starter solenoid problem. Rather than going the route of reconditioning the solenoid, I am thinking about replacing the entire starter with a Denso 4280000-4430, which is a gear reduction starter that has a lot of good reviews. Anyone have input that I should be considering before going this route?

As I am in same boat I'm looking into replacing mine as well. As I replaced the two group 31 batteries, checked all cable connections but still have slow cranking speeds my next option was to replace starter. Anyone have a shop they recommend to have this done? 

I have received a positive response from the main guy on Monaco RV Owners on Facebook. He used this starter and said it corrected his problem. The starter is $200, all in, on Amazon. We ordered it yesterday. I will be removing the old starter today and will do some clean up and repaint my oil pan while waiting for delivery. Amazon has this starter in stock.  

You need to do a bit of research to make sure you get the correct one. The 4430 works on the M10 and M11. 

On 12/17/2023 at 9:59 AM, Doug and Nicki said:

I have received a positive response from the main guy on Monaco RV Owners on Facebook. He used this starter and said it corrected his problem. The starter is $200, all in, on Amazon. We ordered it yesterday. I will be removing the old starter today and will do some clean up and repaint my oil pan while waiting for delivery. Amazon has this starter in stock.  

You need to do a bit of research to make sure you get the correct one. The 4430 works on the M10 and M11. 

That sounds a bit on the cheap side.
Beware of cheap Chinese knockoffs being sold there, and even more so on eBay.

I got a set of counterfeit ignition coils for an LS engine on eBay a while back. 
They looked great, had the right markings, and came in very authentic looking AC/Delco boxes, but 2 failed within the first 100 miles.
After consulting someone who knew of the issue, he told me to look for black epoxy instead of the correct grey.
Sure enough, mine are black.  I ended up buying a set of used genuine coils, since they're not usually a failure item.

• Like 3

I replaced my original Delco starter with the correct Denso.  HUGE improvement in cranking speed, AND, with a MEASURED reduction in the cranking current.

At the same time, I replaced my 8D battery with two relocated Group 31 batteries relocated to a new tray on the driver side.  This allowed me to change my battery trays to allow installation of (8) 6V batteries that were one size taller (same footprint) than the original GC2 (T-105) batteries.  Replacement batteries were T-125 (T-145?)  Total AH for house batteries after the change was approximately 1000 AH.

• Like 2

I have been running the Denso Starter now for over 2 years with any issue. It spin my ISM like it was a law mower engine. This is the one I installed. I had to do a little bit of rewiring but use the cable from the Delco starter.

image.png.e8e886f1a737a387ee87863a9ab2126a.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, planodp said:

I had to do a little bit of rewiring but use the cable from the Delco starter.

What exactly was the "rewiring" required? Very interested in replacing present Delco for this Denso starter.

• Like 1

Basically, just rearranging (rerouting) the wires. The Denso starter is much smaller than Delco starter. I didn’t have to make or buy any cable. Got my from eBay for $160.21

• Like 1

Thanks, this is next on my list of mods. Tired of listening to my OEM starter acting like the batteries are almost dead,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

I installed the starter last weekend and the result is excellent. There is one wire that must be removed from the original setup. It is a small wire from the starter to the solenoid. I think it was a ground wire. The top bolt is tough to get loose, but can be done with a bit of creativity. My slow crank problem is solved. Thank you all for the comments. This is a very good upgrade.

11 hours ago, Doug and Nicki said:

The top bolt is tough to get loose, but can be done with a bit of creativity

If feel like I won the Lottery. I replaced my starter three or four months ago and I really struggled with that top bolt getting it off and getting it back on. I used all types of socket swivels and extensions and knew I didn’t get that top bolt back on as tight as the bottom two but I thought it was good enough. Fast forward to my trip this week. We were camping with my wife’s sister and her husband, they have a Motorhome as well and we’re next to us. We ended up leaving a couple of days before them so after are 400 mile journey back home my brother-in-law texted me with a picture of a bolt he found right under where are motorhome was. I was like WTF that looks just like one of the starter bolts so I immediately went out to checked and sure enough the top bolt is missing. The starter was not loose at all because the other two were still just like I put them on so thank god for that. So what are the odds that I traveled 800 miles and it happened to fall out right when I started it the morning I left. We really bounced around in some construction zones and bumpy highways but didn’t fall off then the fact my brother in law was walking his dog and just happened to find it. I would have never known it had fallen out. So. Make sure those bolts are tight. I’m going to play the lottery tonight I feel lucky.

IMG_0302.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lotosrggp1 said:

Did you buy a lottery ticket? 

Lol, not yet. I did see that I might try and tighten the bolt from the top engine compartment. It will be a long reach and I am probably going to have to stand/lay on the top of the engine to be able to reach it but I have to wait for my brother-in-law to mail it to me. Oh, and Happy New Year to everyone🍾

• Like 1

Having put a Denso on my ISX that would barely start with 3 batteries several years ago, definitely a great upgrade. Getting the bolt out behind the Delco was the hardest part because of the long extension needed to reach it. Yes, the positive cable had to be re-routed to reach the different location of the solenoid. 

I agreed with the top bolt being the hardest to get off!! I went in on the top thur the bedroom access door. What work for me was using PB Blaster and just let it sit overnight. WOW the next morning it came out with ease. PB Blaster really work. I spent hours trying different thing that don't work.

To get the top bolt broke loose, I was able to get a box end wrench on it and then used a floor jack with a piece of pipe to lift up on the wrench. Worked for me.