Tag wheel valve stems pointing in?

96 EVO
Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

I discovered that the last time I removed a sensor.

If the stem is at the 5:00 position, I can lay on the ground with my face pressed against the sidewall, and just barely reach around the tire to remove/ replace the sensor!

Glamping at it's finest 😆!!

Hmm, I don't have to perform such acrobatics with our Alcoa wheels.

20240219_114431.jpg

4 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

I discovered that the last time I removed a sensor.

If the stem is at the 5:00 position, I can lay on the ground with my face pressed against the sidewall, and just barely reach around the tire to remove/ replace the sensor!

Glamping at it's finest 😆!!

Your description is much more eloquent and accurate than mine.  If my arms were a couple of feet longer it wouldn’t be a problem.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I prefer using Cap sensors due to size and mass differences.

Isn't much difference having to remove the cap on the end of a Flow-Through sensor versus the Cap sensor itself to adjust air.

Never thought of that!

That would put the cap even deeper into the wheel hole!

21 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I prefer using Cap sensors due to size and mass differences.

Isn't much difference having to remove the cap on the end of a Flow-Through sensor versus the Cap sensor itself to adjust air.

I bought two flow-through sensors, with the intention to use them on the inner duals. They should replace the extensions that I currently have on there.
Haven't installed yet though.

I have a TST 507 tpms. I have 6 flow-thru on the coach and 4 caps on the toad. The only one that has given me an issue is one of the caps that I had to replace. I find removing the caps to inflate or check the pressure a pita.

Personally stating that the flow-thru has a higher failure rate is a generalization. Yes, it can be but there are differences based on the brand, age, etc.

The mass when driving should not make much of an impact compared to the mass of the spinning tire. JMHO

I guess I'm a little late to the discussion, but have any of you guys considered running a device called Crossfires? 

They are a pressure equalization system designed to run on dual wheel setups and control the pressures to keep the tire pressures and therefore circumferences similar.  I believe there is another one a bit older called Cat Eyes.  With variables such as road crown causing more weight carrying characteristics on the inner and the heat from the brakes having a larger effect on the inner tire, they work to keep the pressures more equal while driving.  I started running them about 24 years ago on our first DP after testing them at work and have had them on both our diesel coaches now.  Personally, I'm not a fan of running extensions just as a way to extend the valve stem as it creates another potential leak point.  I haven't had any leak issues in either of the 3 sets that I have owned although they are a bit of a pain when removing the drive axle duals.  I have to remove the Crossfire valve, then disconnect the outer hose and as I am removing the outer tire/wheel I have to reach behind to the inner tire/wheel and disconnect that hose.  Not a huge deal but a bit more cumbersome than just removing the outer tire/wheel then the inner.  

While having a TPMS system will help you monitor tire pressures, they don't compensate for them while you are driving.  The Crossfire is a constant tire equalization system.  They also have a built in safety valve in the event of a blowout or large leak/pressure drop.  

Here is a short video I found online explaining them in case anyone is interested.

While on the topic of tires, I also been running Balance Masters on our current and last coach, I ran Centramatics on our first coach which was a gasser.  I didn't particularly care for the audible sound of the steel balls at low speeds of the Centramatics so when we purchased our first DP, a 38' Beaver Contessa on a Gillig chassis back in 2000, I installed the Balance Masters.  I liked them so much I also installed them on our 2003 Dynasty when we purchased it in early 2007 and they've been on it ever since.

A little off-topic of the valve stem position, but kind of related. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zmotorsports said:

While on the topic of tires, I also been running Balance Masters on our current and last coach, I ran Centramatics on our first coach which was a gasser.  I didn't particularly care for the audible sound of the steel balls at low speeds of the Centramatics so when we purchased our first DP, a 38' Beaver Contessa on a Gillig chassis back in 2000, I installed the Balance Masters.  I liked them so much I also installed them on our 2003 Dynasty when we purchased it in early 2007 and they've been on it ever since.

A little off-topic of the valve stem position, but kind of related. 

Good to hear!

I just had a set of steer axle balance Masters delivered to my site last week!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Good to hear!

I just had a set of steer axle balance Masters delivered to my site last week!

I think you'll like the Balance Masters.  I am getting ready to replace all my tires and while I have them off, I think I'll sand them and repaint mine as they are getting some age on them, 17 years now on this coach alone.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Well, I figure it will give me more options as to where I buy new tires.

No tire shops where I live can spin balance 22.5's.

I like the theory of the Balance Masters in that they balance the entire rotating assembly and not just the tire/wheel.  

• Like 1