Tag wheel valve stems pointing in?

96 EVO
Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

Any legitimate reason for this practice?

Few years ago I had a tag tire removed, plugged and patched. Asked the tire guy doing the job why the valve stem had to point thru one of the rim holes rather than just face out, like my outer drive axle rims. He just muttered something and wandered off!

It's a real PIA when I drop one of the tire pressure sensors back there attempting to remove or reinstall!

I use the braided hoses to bring the inner dual and tag stems to the outer side. I can fill them all from the outside.

Edited by Doug and Nicki
Correction

• Solution

I think it is a legacy from truck world where the stem could be more likely injured when stuck in mud or similar. And they dont usually use external sensors eitner. A straigh stubby but make inflation difficult with traditional inflator tips.

5 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Ivan, you change your own tires.

You point them in, or out?

Yes I do but still keep them in. Here and there I drop a sensor on the tag or worse on the dually but don't take them off too often so I live with it.

8 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Yes I do but still keep them in. Here and there I drop a sensor on the tag or worse on the dually but don't take them off too often so I live with it.

Ivan - I do the same as you.  Yes, a bit harder to install the tire sensors, but it's a whole lot better than using the braided extensions that are prone to leaking over time.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

I actually run extra air in the tag tires just so I don't need to mess with them very often, but then, guess which batteries fail in the TPMS most often 😖!

• Haha 2

I recently had to replace a valve stem because the stem seal leaked causing a slow leak situation. I asked the installer if it could be changed  No problem, he said. He found a short stem and then bent it so that the tpms sensor would be at an angle and also the inflator to clear the center hub. 
So far, no excessive vibration on the rear axle and no leak either. This also deleted the 180 degree extender that I previously used on the outer valve stems. I liked the new stem so much I asked the installer to do the other outer wheel as well. 

Below are 2 photos to show the new valve stems. 

IMG_0557.jpeg

IMG_0555.jpeg

• Like 1

I switched all of the stems on my previous 02 Windsor over to Borg Tire Stems. They all face out making it easy for adjusting air and installing the TPMS sensors.

I have Josam's do all of my tire work. When the rear duallies and tags need new tires I have a complete set of stems for the dually wheels and the tags I had purchased from Borg Stems in California ready to go on.

I refuse to run with braided extensions. Just another place for a failure when you least expect it.

• Like 1

I agree with Ben. That is what I had and I am happy that I eliminated these 180 degree extenders. Did they work? Absolutely and no failure on the 2 that I had. Still, these rotated a little and I was only 80% satisfied with them. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Those would work, but, I'd rather not introduce another possible failure point when they are not needed!

9 hours ago, Martinvz said:

I agree with Ben. That is what I had and I am happy that I eliminated these 180 degree extenders. Did they work? Absolutely and no failure on the 2 that I had. Still, these rotated a little and I was only 80% satisfied with them. 

I tried these on my Diplomat and had the same problem as Martin - they rotated.  However, one of mine had a slow leak when it rotated.  I finally took them off.  Now I just position the tag wheel so I can stick my hand through from aft of the tag or between the tag and drive wheels and remove the TPMS sensor if I need to add air.  Kind of a pain, but I rarely have to do it. 

On 2/17/2024 at 1:08 PM, Dr4Film said:

I switched all of the stems on my previous 02 Windsor over to Borg Tire Stems. They all face out making it easy for adjusting air and installing the TPMS sensors.

I have Josam's do all of my tire work. When the rear duallies and tags need new tires I have a complete set of stems for the dually wheels and the tags I had purchased from Borg Stems in California ready to go on.

I refuse to run with braided extensions. Just another place for a failure when you least expect it.

DOUBLE DITTO. One needs to also be aware and maybe this was posted earlier….that there are two versions of wheels on Monaco’s. The original wheels had Accuride wheels with a PROPRIETARY Oblong hole. Many members discovered that you could removed the braided mess and then you COULD actually install your TPMS sensors on the inner rears and NOT need an extension.

The original consensus of the Yahoo Monaco group was that BORG (named after Bill Borg who owned a tire distributor company in California) was the gold standard.

He experimented and came up with a Dually kit with a longer rear inner valve stem and also a custom bent stem for the outer wheel.  Many of us have them.

NOTE…in 2009, for whatever reason, Monaco DROPPED….at least on the Camelot’s, the “Monaco Oblong” cutout. They used the standard Accuride “circular or concentric hole.  I ordered the kit from Bill and it came, even though I TOLD him, the special Oblong spacer or grommet for the Monaco cutout.  He replaced it.

I have had two highly trained tire crews comment on the quality of the stems.  They can be rebuilt by pulling the seals off new standard stems.

NOW….THE ORIENTATION.  Bill’s outer Stems point outward just like on the OEM Monaco… but they are slightly bent towards the center of the wheel so that installing or removing a TPMS sensor is easy and you have clearance. I HAVE seen some that were bent or oriented 90 deg , but the stems have to be bent further towards the center to accommodate a TPMS sensor.

The OTHER ISSUE….if you have a TPMS system, you need to install the sensors directly to the REAR STEM snd NOT use sn extension.  I know that Pressure Pro and others specifically call that out in their manuals.

May not totally address this discussion, but the overall concept and the recommendations and experience of many here is stated above….

• Like 2

To add-on to my previous post about Borg Tire Stems here are photos of the kit that I purchased to install on the dynasty wheels when switching to new tires. The dually kit is called DL4M which includes the long straight one piece stems, the "donuts" for support of the long stems and a set of the short angles stems for the outside duals.

The tag stems are in a separate zip-loc bag. They are at a specific angle so they don't interfere with the large chrome cover hub on that wheel. I believe they are the same ones that go onto the outside wheel on the dualies.

I also included a photo of the current stems on my tag axle wheels.

Old Tag Axle Stem.jpg

Borg Dually Valve Stems-2.jpg

Borg Dually Valve Stems-1.jpg

Edited by Dr4Film

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

To add-on to my previous post about Borg Tire Stems here are photos of the kit that I purchased to install on the dynasty wheels when switching to new tires. The dually kit is called DL4M which includes the long straight one piece stems, the "donuts" for support of the long stems and a set of the short angles stems for the outside duals.

The tag stems are in a separate zip-loc bag. They are at a specific angle so they don't interfere with the large chrome cover hub on that wheel. I believe they are the same ones that go onto the outside wheel on the dualies.

I also included a photo of the current stems on my tag axle wheels.

Old Tag Axle Stem.jpg

Borg Dually Valve Stems-2.jpg

Borg Dually Valve Stems-1.jpg

Can you post a picture of what the inside dually stem looks like when mounted as well?

I find this entire subject of tire stem extenders, etc. to be very confusing, for some reason. More pictures and less words always helps. 🙂

3 hours ago, dandick66 said:

Now I just position the tag wheel so I can stick my hand through from aft of the tag or between the tag and drive wheels and remove the TPMS sensor if I need to add air.  Kind of a pain, but I rarely have to do it. 

I discovered that the last time I removed a sensor.

If the stem is at the 5:00 position, I can lay on the ground with my face pressed against the sidewall, and just barely reach around the tire to remove/ replace the sensor!

Glamping at it's finest 😆!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

Can you post a picture of what the inside dually stem looks like when mounted as well?

I find this entire subject of tire stem extenders, etc. to be very confusing, for some reason. More pictures and less words always helps. 🙂

Sorry, I do not have a photo of that as the tag stems have not been mounted yet. However, possibly @Lenny D , the new owner of my Windsor will take a photo of the outside rear dual wheel stem and post it here for you. That stem is the same identical stem that mounts to the tag wheel.

43 minutes ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

Here's a Borg inner dually long stem installed.

IMG_1236.JPG

• Like 1