HEIC Image format

I have no idea why images are posted in the .HEIC format but it makes it almost impossible to view them without jumping through hoops to get them to display properly.

Would @Scotty Hutto please explain this to us members who are accustomed to having photos displayed in the "normal" format?

Here is a link to the 10 most common digital photo file formats and the .HEIC doesn't make the top ten list.

https://blog.hubspot.com/insiders/different-types-of-image-files

This is the first I’ve heard of .heic images being a problem. They display normally on my devices, with no manipulation…

An HEIC (High Efficiency Image Compression) image produces higher quality images in a smaller file size than older standards like jpg (jpeg) and is created by an iPhone or iPad.  So typically when someone chooses to store photos on their iPhone using HEIC, and they upload that picture to the site, it uploads as a .heic picture.  

Since it is a file type supported by the Invision Community software, I haven’t been able to find any setting that will prevent folks from uploading in this format. 

Since this is the first I’m hearing, I’m curious how many people this affects, and whether it is an annoyance or a major issue. Since I’m an Apple and Windows user, does this negatively affect Android users? Other devices?

Please share your thoughts below. 

None of my devices can show an heic image, so I too always ignore.  One time I went to the trouble of booting up a computer, downloading the image, searching for an on-line converter, had to sidestep all the spam ads and unwanted risks of some unwanted virus or spyware, and concluded to just delete the darn thing.  Trying view an heic image simply isn't worth the trouble.  It is about as useful as posting to this forum in EBCDIC or swahili.  Please use universal JPG/JPEG or PNG as first choices.

JM2¢W

• Like 1

No issues viewing HEIC images on my iPhone or my Windows 11 laptop.

Have you downloaded any current CODEC’s. This is similar to loading security updates, but for viewing images as new format emerge.

Paul

No problems in viewing HEIC on my android cell phone or windows 10 laptop.  I do keep up with software updates including the optional ones.

4 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I'm using a Dell with Windows 10,    I CAN NOT down load/open this type of image.

Don't know if you are using an ANDROID or whatever.  My iCloud images display perfectly in the CLOUD (when I sign into iCloud).  Then I just select which ones or group and use the download.  I just did over 500 this morning...  My iCloud is plain Jane and I have all the CHROME and Windows 10 updates.

If you are using a different browser....then you will have to good the browser name and HEIC download issues and start from there.

I had problems with the HEIC files several years ago when Apple made the switch, but not recently. At that time Microsoft had a HEIC decoder that could be added to windows through the Microsoft App Store. 
Android 10 should deal with HEIC natively https://www.androidpolice.com/heic-files-open-android/

Maybe need to update Android if the HEIC files are still a problem?

Ok, to bring closure, I have been in conversation with Invision and there is currently no way for me (or them) to prevent .heic files from being uploaded. 

Walter has provided a link for adding this capability to Androids above. 

For Microsoft, it is not an “automatic” update. Go to the Microsoft Store and search for “HEIF”.  This will bring up the Microsoft provided codec that will allow viewing of .heic/.heif pictures.  Install that and it should resolve the issue on Windows 10 machines. For convenience, here is a link to the correct files:

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9pmmsr1cgpwg?hl=en-us&gl=US

Caution: When you search, you may also see some apps for HEIF -JPG converters. You don’t need those to view the files. 

Hope that helps.