One for Dave Pratt

throgmartin

As some of you know, our fearless leader, Dave Pratt is a pilot. He has flown some amazing jets over the years. His last flight as Captain was the delivery of a Private Tri Jet to Saudi Arabia. During a recent phone conversation he admitted he is getting itchy feet and wants back in the cockpit. I fully understand as I am also a frustrated pilot and have been having withdrawals from not being able to fly lately.

Enter one of my dearest friends who I run with and who also knows my current frustration of not being able to fly. He is an airline pilot and has been flying his fool head off lately which he reminds me of constantly. This morning he sent me a text with a picture saying " You have  friends in high places ".  He also took a dig at me by reminding me how great flying is. As a parting statement he reminded me that he was promoting my company at 30,000 ft. which was an half hearted effort to ease my pain.

So as to pass along that stab at me of not being able to fly at the moment I wanted to share my grief with my buddy Dave. Doe's this picture hurt Dave ? If I have to suffer so do you. 

My buddy parked on the ramp in his jet waiting for a push back 🙂  ( the damn jerk )

Friends in High Places.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/18/2020 at 9:53 AM, David Pratt said:

You Bet it hurts!!!! But things may change, you never know what the future may bring!

I’m in the same boat. Do I miss the job? A little. Do I miss jets? A LOT! But I’m blessed with a couple of light planes to enjoy and use.

Ed           
‘05 HR Ambassador DP           
‘17 Ford Expedition

• Like 1

Fortunately for me, I've never owned a plane or a boat.  I got into enough trouble with things with wheels that occasionally left the ground!  At my tender age (circa 1940) I still enjoy treating dogs and cats a couple of days a week!

Roy Million

2001 HR Endeavor 40'

2003 Honda Element (which four wheeled over Medano Pass, CO to the Great Sand Dunes) and still flat towing great

Wife Elaine, Lab Mix Katy, Border Collie Bode and Black Cat Miss Lilly

OK, now a real serious question from a guy that has way too many hobbies. We travel 5 - 6 months a year in the Diplomat. I take the Ham radio and made an attachment to the trailer hitch so I can put up a 40 foot antennae, when we are stopped for a while. However, the motorcycle stays home, in garage, wife will not ride with me so we take her car. The home built airplane stays in the hanger at the airport. How can we take the plane and motorcycle along?   Way too many hobbies but that is what retirement is suppose to be. Merry Christmas guys, love this forum.

Greg

2000 Diplomat, Fusion on tow dolly

4 hours ago, pulsarjab said:

OK, now a real serious question from a guy that has way too many hobbies. We travel 5 - 6 months a year in the Diplomat. I take the Ham radio and made an attachment to the trailer hitch so I can put up a 40 foot antennae, when we are stopped for a while. However, the motorcycle stays home, in garage, wife will not ride with me so we take her car. The home built airplane stays in the hanger at the airport. How can we take the plane and motorcycle along?   Way too many hobbies but that is what retirement is suppose to be. Merry Christmas guys, love this forum.

Greg

2000 Diplomat, Fusion on tow dolly

One whopper of a trailer. Two stories, maybe. Does the plane have folding wings?

I just don't think about it anymore.  Our S&B is on a grass strip with Comanche 260B sitting in our backyard hangar along with motorcycle, 4 Amphicars, off road lifted/locked/flat-fendered "fully experienced" Wrangler, trailer to pull some of the toys... and all the other associated "junk".  If we are just somewhat "local" - day or so from home for a week or two - we might pull an event appropriate toy.  When on the road for 5-8 months they just sit at home unused as we move often enough we want a reasonable toad and the toys would just be in the way.  When we worked and were more "home centric", the toys were fun.  Being retired and in "see the world 🌍" mode I should downsize, but it is hard to give up.  Many times at home I feel I'm just in maintenance mode on the toys...and then it's time to "hit the road again" in the coach.

Merry Christmas and enjoy the holidays.  Life is too short.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

I just don't think about it anymore.  Our S&B is on a grass strip with Comanche 260B sitting in our backyard hangar along with motorcycle, 4 Amphicars, off road lifted/locked/flat-fendered "fully experienced" Wrangler, trailer to pull some of the toys... and all the other associated "junk".  If we are just somewhat "local" - day or so from home for a week or two - we might pull an event appropriate toy.  When on the road for 5-8 months they just sit at home unused as we move often enough we want a reasonable toad and the toys would just be in the way.  When we worked and were more "home centric", the toys were fun.  Being retired and in "see the world 🌍" mode I should downsize, but it is hard to give up.  Many times at home I feel I'm just in maintenance mode on the toys...and then it's time to "hit the road again" in the coach.

Merry Christmas and enjoy the holidays.  Life is too short.

Many of my sentiments as well. Also, keep in mind idleness for months at a time is hard on airplane engines and, I’m sure, many other mechanic toys. It would look to have a partner to keep the airplane exercised but that brings other issues.

Wife sold her half of our 182RG to our so-in-law who recently upgraded to a glass panel… OH the learning curve. Even with a background in aviation electronics, amazing what all it will do, IF you can remember how.

Did haul a Grob 109 motor glider in a 28’ enclosed trailer for several years.

6F476C09-3788-447B-9E43-1F805F67827B.png

I don't like hotels and that machine always took me to a hotel.  For pleasure it's entertaining being my grandson's CFI (Flight Instructor) but I'm basically ballast now.

I really like travelling in my Signature.  It's not fast or pointy but sure is comfortable.

• Like 1

Flying in the Corporate World has it's rewards. Going to many interesting destinations, meeting interesting and great people and making a lot of new friends. Also, the privilege of flying several great Aircraft and seeing the Majestic Beauty of this Planet from beautiful high altitudes. These are the things I miss most about not being in the Cockpit.

Went to many interesting places, especially in the USA and never got to spend much time at any one most of the time.

I do not miss the FAA BS bureaucracy, long waits for Clients at FBO's or the short stays overnight in Hotels.

When we started RV'ing 20 years ago I started planning trips to places I flew in and out of but never was able to spend any time to visit.

I have seen a lot of this world from above 30,000 feet and the sights were sometimes unbelievable. RV'ing has given me the added beauty and excitement of seeing the wonders of our great country from the ground and what I missed looking down on them from high.

The combination of the two was the best of both worlds.

I started shedding many of my toys several years ago, never had enough time to play with them. My Piper Comanche and Aero Commander Shrike were my two favorites as were several of my Classic and Exotic cars. I am now down to only a couple, a DeTomaso Pantera, Viper SRT-10 and our Foretravel.

Yep, I miss being in the Cockpit, but I enjoy life as much now on the ground as I did on the air.

Life is Good!

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

I have never piloted an airplane ( that's gotta be a good thing ) but the subject has caused me to remember the first plane I ever flew on.   I was just a lad off to basic   training in the Navy.  The plane was a R4D later to be call a C47.  Now, that's an old plane from before WW2, it has been called the best plane ever, and it still flies today.       When it won't fly anymore just drive the darn thing.  Picture below      

Boy, was I excited to be flying, then we hit a storm, I was so sick.  We landed in New Orleans to pick up more guys and to my surprise an Air Force officer that was hopping a ride with us walked over to sick bay, where he got suppositories for me, what a great guy to do that.  The suppositories performed a miracle.  I slept the rest of the way.

Douglas C-117D (DC-3S), USA - Marines AN1539492.jpg       The Fabulous Flamingo Official Release - Bing video191407611_777686016210217_8679319888400855721_n

1 minute ago, BigNick said:

All you pilots wouldnt go anywhere without a mechanic. 35+ years AA.. All hail the pilot!!! 

I live just NE of Tulsa and am surrounded by AA mechanics. Quite thankful for all of them. Lots of good advice and now and then some free or cheap help.

My Aviation Career started in Miami. I went to George T. Baker Aviation School in high school. Graduated in 1965 with an A & P Certificate and was hired by Eastern Airlines. I also went on and added the "IA" (Inspector Authorization) to my Certificate. Learned to fly in 1971.

18 hours ago, David Pratt said:

My Aviation Career started in Miami. I went to George T. Baker Aviation School in high school. Graduated in 1965 with an A & P Certificate and was hired by Eastern Airlines. I also went on and added the "IA" (Inspector Authorization) to my Certificate. Learned to fly in 1971.

image.jpeg.2f09c4f524fd98781d94ff6fa5ed7799.jpeg

• Like 1

poster,504x498,f8f8f8-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Now, I will add Capt JC H****S... Name disguised.  There I was, going on a field trip to ELP from DF & W fix to a broke airplane, I think we were going to change an engine driven hydraulic pump on an 80. This was some years ago, I don't go of field trips anymore, it's a young mans game, at least I think it is. In a 767 climbing out of Dallas through the broken clouds on a moon lit night, I'm riding jump seat, it was a magical sight going up through the clouds. Just me, another tech and the 2 pilots. We cruised on over to ELP and there was heavy cover with decision height at 600' agl. That's what our planes were certified for under the LMP program. Anyway, making our approach, we hit DH and nothing in sight, Capt JC H****S powered up and pulled her up and powered on out for a go around and around we went. 2nd approach, here we go, exactly right at DH we pop through the cover and guess what, we're lined up on the taxi way, not an issue for Capt JC H****s, he stands her up on the left wing tip comes over, stands her up on the right wing tip, brings her over, I can see the people in their cars looking out the window at the sight above them, a giant airplane doing precise maneuvers mere feet off the ground. Capt JC H****S centerlined it just like that, smooth as silk landing. There must've been something wrong with the ILS equipment, I never asked. That man earned my respect that day and he was just as nice as could be, a true pilot.

Edited by BigNick