I will be needing to replace the radiator in my 2006 Executive with a Detroit 60 Series Engine. I know I’ve seen a company that makes them on a forum but I’ve done a search and cannot find anything. If anyone knows of a reputable source for a replacement radiator please let me know. Quality is most important to me. 

Thank you!

Steve

CG&J aka Brice Thomas Radiator in Gadsden AL is where I had mine made and installed back in 2015. They make anything you want, Brass & Copper will be more expensive than an aluminum one.

Make sure whatever shop who does the work  that they have the CAC tested because it most likely is leaking so to be effective it should be rebuilt also.

CG&J tested my CAC while I was there and I was astonished by how many leaks it had. They just rebuilt the core as they didn't have any tanks and I was OK with that.

I was also VERY pleased with their labor and rate to remove & install the everything.

I spoke with CG&J. Looks like there were a few versions of the radiator that were used in my Coach. Looks like I will have to get it out to confirm the questions they had before I can order. Will start that project when the season winds down 

• 2 weeks later...

So I began my radiator remove project and it is quite the project. Certainly not one for the faint of heart. Raised the entire Coach 14” to allow for the radiator to come out the bottom, removers coolant and hydraulic fluid and have everything disconnected except the top CAC line. Have about 7 hours into it. Going to take a break from it today except for cleaning up the work area and organizing tools. Pretty ugly worksite at the moment. 

Wen CJ&G did my removal and install back in 2015 there was one service tech working on it with a second one helping when needed. They removed everything the first day when I dropped it off early that morning. The had everything back in before 5 pm the next day. I was expecting the labor charge to be somewhere between $1K-$2K but when it was only $600, I thought wow not only did I find the right shop but also got lucky with the labor rate.

I can guarantee that they are NOT still doing radiator replacements for the same rate.

$600. 😳. Wow!  I would have signed up for that in a minute. My biggest issue is that I’m too neurotic to have other work on my Coach unless absolutely necessary. The other thing I wanted to do while it’s out is to clean up and POR-15 and paint everything in that area that I couldn’t get to previously with it assembled. Like everything , it’s takes a bit longer doing it the first time and all of my tools are in my workshop which is separate from the motorhome garage so a lot of steps logged going back and forth. I’ll be glad to have it out tomorrow and start the cleaning and detailing while I wait for the new unit to arrive. 

I have heard nothing but praise about the radiators sold by Source Engineering.  I have also heard that there are radiators made in Asia that appear to be well made but are known for early failures due to cracking and metal failure.  Our diesel engines vibrate excessively and the metallurgy of the radiators is extremely important.

So I began my radiator remove project and it is quite the project. Certainly not one for the faint of heart. Raised the entire Coach 14” to allow for the radiator to come out the bottom, removers coolant and hydraulic fluid and have everything disconnected except the top CAC line. Have about 7 hours into it. Going to take a break from it today except for cleaning up the work area and organizing tools. Pretty ugly worksite at the moment. 

once I get it out and get the needed measurements and details I plan on getting pricing from Source also. 

• Like 1

I purchased a CAC from CJ&G 2019 in June.   To varify the radiator prior to sending it I was sent a drawing that was to the 3rd decimal place.   The unit, upon drawing approval, arrived in 4 days.   Very good service for an item not on the shelf.    I had unit replaced by Ronnie at Tom and Marv's Truck wash in Elkart, IN.   Ronnie did a very good job at $1400.  Well I just had my CAC replaced again by CJ&G in June 2020.   The first lasted about 6 months.     When the CAC ruptured after 6 Months I called CJ&G and they said that was unusual and they certainly would warrant the unit but not the labor because they did not install it.   Long story short they finally agreed to $600 install for the CAC at their place.   So there I went, to Gladston, AL.   When the unit was pulled out it was expanded on the inlet side.  There first words were that I had a turbo issue.   I looked closely at the breaks and saw very shallow welds across the top tie plate where the break was.   I pointed this out to Kim, the shop manager, but said that I would have my turbo checked out.   The removal and install took two day.   Additionally they took the other radiators and cleaned, flushed and pressure tested them at no additional charge    They topped off all the systems, using Cummins transfluid in the transmission and OAT antifreeze in the radiator.   When I went to pick it up I found that the CAC was not in the correct position.   After some discussion they started in to remove and realign the unit which added another day.   While there I was given a tour of their radiator shop.  It is impressive.   They manufacture many types of radiators and have about 40 people employed.    They even make and repair radiators for the very large earth moving equipment used in mining.   All that said, I left Friday late afternoon and did not quite make Chattanoga, TN and my power had dropped.        My fear was that I had ruptured another unit.    This was late on Friday so I continued home and took the coach to Cummins in New Hudson, MI.   This shop specializes in RV,s they even have a dyno to put them on.   The issue was a broken clamp on the inlet, which I could not see, allowing leakage and not the inner cooler.   The turbo checked out fine putting out 32psi boost.   The CAC, as per Kim is checked at 80 psi.   I chose their radiator because of price.   Was this just luck of the draw that it failed??   The folks there were very hard working and they have employees that have been there up to 40 years whom I spoke to.    The price was 1/2 of Source Engr, which is made by an outfit in California.   Your decision, they sure look the same.

I replaced my radiator 3 times.  After the 1st time, I made some hardware modifications that enable me to do the job in under 6 hours.  IIMG_8290.thumb.JPG.732cd5763bf86a50a272174180f08df3.JPGn 2018 I replaced my radiator in Eufaula State Park, OK.  Drove my toad to Gadsen, and brought back a replacement and changed it in under 6 hours, with the help of my 110 lb. girlfriend.  I found the 4-core radiator more prone to clogging with grease/dirt and now I just use a 3-core and it runs cooler, longer before cleaning becomes needed.

• Thanks 1

I got back to the radiator project yesterday and got it out. It is massive. Easily weighs over 200lbs with the fan, shroud and CAC removed. Fortunately the original sticker was still intact with the manufacturer and part number still attached. Contacted Radiator Specialty (the builder). They cannot sell it to me because they have an agreement with Source for this radiator. Source quoted me $6800 plus freight 😳. I spoke to CG&J and they cannot cross this number and directed me to their website in the Monaco section to look at pictures to try to match it.  Sounds to risky to me. Searched and found Radiator Supply house in Oregon and they were very helpful. They have the drawings and also build in house with a copper and brass core. 5 day build which is the same a Source and their price is $5800. What a deal. Only about double what I thought it would be. Oh well. Once I confirm the dims I will likely order from them. Went out today and purchased all new radiator hoses, clamps, CAC clamps, and all new hydraulic hoses to the time of approx. $850. Still need to get a new wax valve and 15 gallons of hydraulic fluid, 5 gallons of Transynd and 8 gallons of coolant. Good grief!  Now I will need to spend quite a bit of time cleaning and wire wheeling all of the structure and then POR-15 and paint it. 

FFBA4357-FA00-4F6B-BB6E-9DBF84BA3D20.jpeg

49C0D1D7-0815-4C57-B2EB-33A5F156059C.jpeg

4517CA13-1565-4082-BDE3-72933D0C3F9C.jpeg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

I got back to the radiator project yesterday and got it out. It is massive. Easily weighs over 200lbs with the fan, shroud and CAC removed. Fortunately the original sticker was still intact with the manufacturer and part number still attached. Contacted Radiator Specialty (the builder). They cannot sell it to me because they have an agreement with Source for this radiator. Source quoted me $6800 plus freight 😳. I spoke to CG&J and they cannot cross this number and directed me to their website in the Monaco section to look at pictures to try to match it.  Sounds to risky to me. Searched and found Radiator Supply house in Oregon and they were very helpful. They have the drawings and also build in house with a copper and brass core. 5 day build which is the same a Source and their price is $5800. What a deal. Only about double what I thought it would be. Oh well. Once I confirm the dims I will likely order from them. Went out today and purchased all new radiator hoses, clamps, CAC clamps, and all new hydraulic hoses to the time of approx. $850. Still need to get a new wax valve and 15 gallons of hydraulic fluid, 5 gallons of Transynd and 8 gallons of coolant. Good grief!  Now I will need to spend quite a bit of time cleaning and wire wheeling all of the structure and then POR-15 and paint it. 

FFBA4357-FA00-4F6B-BB6E-9DBF84BA3D20.jpeg

49C0D1D7-0815-4C57-B2EB-33A5F156059C.jpeg

4517CA13-1565-4082-BDE3-72933D0C3F9C.jpeg

Thank you for this great informative post.  Know any truck repair service that could see if they can buy for you??

Paul A

Edited by Paul A.

I did take a look at the CG&J website and I found a radiator that appeared to look like mine. I did not confirm dims. But it was an all aluminum radiator which I would not consider for any motorhome because they cannot withstand the movement and vibrations related to the application and therefore the life expectancy will certainly be shorter than a copper/brass core. Both Source and Radiator Supply House will not build an all aluminum radiator because of this. I have confirmed my dims from the supplied drawing from The Radiator Supply House. Will get one ordered tomorrow 

I agree. The hose fittings have a pretty good amount of corrosion. All hoses, both hydraulic and cooling are being replaced. As is all clamps. Although the clamps are stainless I still want to start fresh. Besides the hose fittings at some locations everything else is just some light surface rust. The Coach did spend a couple years near the Fl coast. 

After researching options I did decide to go with the Aluminum radiator from CG&J.  These types of radiators are in all sorts of applications and an RV side radiator application is probably one that puts the less stress because of the mounting.  In my case the radiator is suspended from the top.  There is hardly any way there is any stress on the radiator and the rubber isolators provide for reduced bouncing/shock.   For $2500 I was willing to take a chance on the radiator.  I guess time will tell but so far so good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacwjames said:

For $2500 I was willing to take a chance on the radiator.  I guess time will tell but so far so good. 

Me too! I could buy two aluminum radiators for the price that CG&J and others wanted for a Brass/Copper one.

Photos of my all new aluminum radiator and rebuilt CAC (core only) from CG&J in Gadsden AL

New CAC-01.jpg

New Radiator-01.jpg

New Radiator-02.jpg

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 2

The CG&J radiator does look good.  When I went through their shop they do build copper and brass radiators but I don't know if it is just specific ones or not.   Their labor rate is more competitive the out West.    Question Paul How did you lower that beast of a radiator assembly.   When mine was done they used a fork lift.