Faulty Windshield Wipers

I recently started having trouble with the driver's side windshield wiper. When in low speed it seems to be working ok however when I switch it to high speed the arm drags very slow and stops without completing a cycle. Has anyone else had similar problems? I recently replaced the arm due to the old one not having enough tension and wouldn't make solid contact with the windshield. I have tried loosing the bolt slightly and that didn't help and have also checked for a bad ground which wasn't the problem. I'm thinking that I may have a bad motor but don't want to replace it if not necessary. Anyone else have similar issues and if so what was the fix? TIA

Steve Hepfer

2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ

Check the splines, they can be cleaned with a small triangle file in the wiper arm. the part that is on the shaft from the motor has been known to split in half, I know. Purchased new two from Veurinks, one for spare.

INFO FROM PARTS BAG,

tapered knurl  f/wiper

S111406487                 

The mechanical connection at the motor itself must have lost its grip, either loose or stripped. Just like Greg B mentioned above. If you still hear the motor running while the wipers dont move, it is the common point for both wipers.

Edited by Ivan K

Guest Ray Davis

Monaco put 32in wiper blades on many of their coaches , those 32 in blades are expensive and not so easy to find .                                                                    They are are also harder to move across the windshield than shorter blades .                                                                                                                                    Some owners have installed shorter blades for just the problem you have , slow or stalling wipers .                                                                                        Many of us buy 28in blades available at Walmart or at most any other store that handles such things .                                                                                          Personally I don't miss the extra length it is out of my viewing area                                                                                                                                                  So if you still have the longer blades you could try shorter one with out spending very much                                                                                                         Rainx might also help as a lubricant , I like their washer fluid 

When I had a similar situation, I opened the generator compartment and up under the windshield, I found the center nut had become loose. Not falling off, just loose a bit. When the wipers were on high, the extra torque necessary, allowed the arms to "slip" a bit thus causing them to stop then start. Might check that nut on yours. If it's tight, turn the wipers on high while you're under there and see what those arms are doing. Yours may be different from mine. Good luck..Dennis

17 hours ago, rambler07 said:

Check the splines, they can be cleaned with a small triangle file in the wiper arm. the part that is on the shaft from the motor has been known to split in half, I know. Purchased new two from Veurinks, one for spare.

INFO FROM PARTS BAG,

tapered knurl  f/wiper

S111406487                 

That’s exactly what happened to me. While on the interstate in a light rain, my passenger side wiper fell off the windshield. I thought it landed on the pavement but when I stopped several miles down the road, it was hanging by the rubber windshield washer hose. That cheap pot metal bracket broke in half.