Faulty Windshield Wipers

I recently started having trouble with the driver's side windshield wiper. When in low speed it seems to be working ok however when I switch it to high speed the arm drags very slow and stops without completing a cycle. Has anyone else had similar problems? I recently replaced the arm due to the old one not having enough tension and wouldn't make solid contact with the windshield. I have tried loosing the bolt slightly and that didn't help and have also checked for a bad ground which wasn't the problem. I'm thinking that I may have a bad motor but don't want to replace it if not necessary. Anyone else have similar issues and if so what was the fix? TIA

Steve Hepfer

2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ

Check the splines, they can be cleaned with a small triangle file in the wiper arm. the part that is on the shaft from the motor has been known to split in half, I know. Purchased new two from Veurinks, one for spare.

INFO FROM PARTS BAG,

tapered knurl  f/wiper

S111406487                 

The mechanical connection at the motor itself must have lost its grip, either loose or stripped. Just like Greg B mentioned above. If you still hear the motor running while the wipers dont move, it is the common point for both wipers.

Edited by Ivan K

Guest Ray Davis

Monaco put 32in wiper blades on many of their coaches , those 32 in blades are expensive and not so easy to find .                                                                    They are are also harder to move across the windshield than shorter blades .                                                                                                                                    Some owners have installed shorter blades for just the problem you have , slow or stalling wipers .                                                                                        Many of us buy 28in blades available at Walmart or at most any other store that handles such things .                                                                                          Personally I don't miss the extra length it is out of my viewing area                                                                                                                                                  So if you still have the longer blades you could try shorter one with out spending very much                                                                                                         Rainx might also help as a lubricant , I like their washer fluid 

When I had a similar situation, I opened the generator compartment and up under the windshield, I found the center nut had become loose. Not falling off, just loose a bit. When the wipers were on high, the extra torque necessary, allowed the arms to "slip" a bit thus causing them to stop then start. Might check that nut on yours. If it's tight, turn the wipers on high while you're under there and see what those arms are doing. Yours may be different from mine. Good luck..Dennis

17 hours ago, rambler07 said:

Check the splines, they can be cleaned with a small triangle file in the wiper arm. the part that is on the shaft from the motor has been known to split in half, I know. Purchased new two from Veurinks, one for spare.

INFO FROM PARTS BAG,

tapered knurl  f/wiper

S111406487                 

That’s exactly what happened to me. While on the interstate in a light rain, my passenger side wiper fell off the windshield. I thought it landed on the pavement but when I stopped several miles down the road, it was hanging by the rubber windshield washer hose. That cheap pot metal bracket broke in half. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
44 minutes ago, CalebM said:

I have burned to 2 motors in 3 months, anyone have any thoughts why the wiper motor would burn up?

If you have been using the OEM AM Equipment Company, I THINK, 32" blades....YES.  Many aftermarket suppliers say that the AM arms and such are not really rated for 32" blades.  I pulled back and run 28" blades.  The 2" at the top and 2" at the bottom are NOT something that bothers me...unless I was shooting "Videos" for my blog or a magazine. The 28" work great and I KNOW that the motor will last longer...

Just my take...and experience...

Thanks for the response. I have 26inch wiper blades. I am at a loss why the motors keep burning up. If they are on for more than 5 minutes the motor is to hot to touch. 

How about the linkage? are they loose? are the bushings that the pivots ride in free? If they're tight with rust or gummed up lubricant, that would multiply the load on the motor. 

Paul Whittle recently replaced his entire windshield wiper unit with something that looked like it was built for a TANK!  Super Heavy Duty Unit.  Don't know if he ever posted about it.  The motor was MUCH larger, and all arms, mounting brackets, wiper transmissions and other parts were truly rugged parts.  Can't remember who made it, but I think it was the company in Greensboro, NC.

Perhaps Paul will respond.

Had a similar problem and found that the wiper shaft was binding where it came through the cowl.  There is a round spring clip outboard that secures the shaft and it had to be loosened (as in pried out) a bit.   Did both left and right side shafts and sprayed with a good dry spray lube.  No more binding.

On 7/15/2024 at 7:33 AM, vanwill52 said:

Paul Whittle recently replaced his entire windshield wiper unit with something that looked like it was built for a TANK!  Super Heavy Duty Unit.  Don't know if he ever posted about it.  The motor was MUCH larger, and all arms, mounting brackets, wiper transmissions and other parts were truly rugged parts.  Can't remember who made it, but I think it was the company in Greensboro, NC.

Perhaps Paul will respond.

I would like to know what this is also. My wiper motor must overheat and it stops when I am really needing them.   I have lubed the linkage and installed short blades. My 06 Dynasty will not shed water the windshield will not clear even with every rainx type product I have tried. It beads but will not blow off so wipers are really important. 

58 minutes ago, rustykramermetalfab said:

I would like to know what this is also. My wiper motor must overheat and it stops when I am really needing them.   I have lubed the linkage and installed short blades. My 06 Dynasty will not shed water the windshield will not clear even with every rainx type product I have tried. It beads but will not blow off so wipers are really important. 

Here's HOW you do it.  EITHER PM Paul  @pwhittle   Ask him offline.

OR... Do it here.

@pwhittle

Paul, Folks are interested in what you did to improve or rebuild or whatever, your wiper system.  When you have a moment, can you please respond here with a brief description and such.  Pictures would be Nice...

FWIW...to all  Bit of HISTORY.  I worked for the company that owned ANCO Wipers.  I was in another division. We often had "Manufacturing Engineering" meetings with a representative from each division.  ANCO also had some operations (Electrocoating and Plastic/Rubber Molding) that were very similar to what my division was doing...and I was actually an internal consultant, secondary job, to our division plants and had many years of hands on Manufacturing Engineering experience.  Van's Machine shop was one we used and we finally got 2 and 2 and realized who each other was maybe in 2015 or so.

BOTTOM LINE.  I found a problem with the OEM AM Equipment system.  Minor one.  but serious.  AM bought all their blades and arms from Anco. They were manufactured in Michigan City, Indiana (Memory) as well as a Mexican plant.  Later, when I was moved to the Corporate staff, I also visited these plants.  Probably in each one 5 or 6 times over a 10 year span.  

ANCO became nothing more than an Import Company when the cost of manufacturing in the US as well as in Mexico went up.  They then farmed all their, FORMERLY, purchased ANCO parts to an offshore entity.  WELL, these guys were NOT DUMMIES.  They supplied AM with an arm that actually MET a Federal DOT (SAE, I think) standard.  The Hook on the ANCO arms was a cross between a LARGE and SMALL J-Hook.  THUS, when I ordered a NEW set of blades from AM, they sent me the imported ones.  WOULD NOT FIT.  Being the old manufacturing engineer and also done some gauge and measurement work...I then figured out what dimension was wrong.  As a source of the SAE prints, I contacted a bunch of Vendors.  There was a VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE person at Diesel Equipment in Greensboro.  He sent me the SAE Prints.  NOW, being a competitor of AM, he also wanted to know....WHY and WHAT is wrong.  Then, I sent the prints back to AM and they did NOT believe me.  Fast Forward...  They said....will give you new blades and new arms.  Send us the OEM arms and the old OEM blades.  These were 2009 Anco parts.  Then they called back.  OPPS...  WE NEVER KNEW.  Whoever designed, and I had the AM Print, the J Hook... pulled a wrong dimension...so the OEM (2009) AM arms...used all over Monaco were actually NEVER to the SAE Spec.  AM, I THINK, then had the adapter clips that came with the LATER Blades, modified slightly.  They work on the correct SAE J hook design...as well as on the NO TO SAE J hook print that AM had in their files.

BOTTOM LINE... I learned a LOT about wipers from the guy in Diesel Equipment.  TWO THINGS.  They, Diesel Equipment made a more robust or better arm...that would fit on an AM shaft.  They had tested (lab or however) and said that the arms were, in their opinion, strong enough to support a 32" blade.  Their replacement arms WOULD hold up on 32" blades.  BUT, he said...  I would NEVER run 32" blades...YES, many owners want the same exact blade. I recommend 28" blades... Your arms and motors will last longer.  NOT AS MUCH DRAG.

So, I ran the freebie arms and blades...but when I replaced the blades... I use 28" blades.

SO, if Paul worked with Diesel Equipment in Greensboro and the same tech support or maybe a marketing manager...then I would trust him.

BTW...If you google Diesel Equipment...  

https://dieselequipment.com/store/site/home

BUT, the next hit down...

https://rvandmarine.com/product-category/wiper-technologies-parts-formerly-diesel-equipment/

here is a cut and paste from what I found....

Wiper Technologies RV Wiper Parts (formerly Diesel Equipment)

I have NO CLUE if "BJ" is the guy that I talked to some 10 years ago...but that man....KNEW HIS STUFF and he was a great source.

That's a bit of a background. 

NOW, if one is interested....I wrote a White Paper way back when.  It is in our files.  What I said previously was the gist of what happened...but Fred White also sort of edited or told me HOW he wanted it formatted.  If there is one little "well you said here...but said there" nuance....then, as my Corporate Lawyers coached me to say...  TO THE BEST OF MY RECOLLECTION....as in what I wrote today is generally correct in the following...which I did not bother to reread...

• Like 1

I ordered a whole new mechanism from https://www.globalproducts.llc. Motor, mechanism, spindles, wiper arms, wiper blades.

They made the original for Monaco and I sent them a picture of the original sticker off the motor.

Everything about the kit was better engineered. Larger motor, heim joints on the adjustable arms, larger spindles, plug compatible electrically.

It was also far from plug and play.

The ordering process was difficult. They have limited staff and everything relied on one person who was dealing with health issues and it took months to get the kit to ship. After sales support was non-existent.

The spindles are bigger so the mounting holes had to opened up.

The distance between the spindles was out by 1/4”. I had to cut the cross support bar and weld it back together.

I had to flip the arms as the way it was delivered, the arms hit inside the body.

The plastic spindle covers would have worked if the front of the coach had been flat and perpendicular to the spindles, but it is not. I cut them down and 3D printed a separate piece to match the contour of the coach.

The sweep of the wipers was too much. The inside end of the drivers blade would hit the windshield surround. I was at Van’s place and we took out the arm off the motor, cut a slice out of it to shorten it, and welded it back together.

From Monaco, the original motor was mounted to what looked like a piece of pallet wood, and was not solid. While at Van’s he was kind enough to fabricate a replacement motor mount from 1/4” aluminum plate and 3”x1” aluminum bar. It is very solid now.

When I went to order replacement blades a year after installation, they did not have stock. I was able to find them from etrailer.com.

The correct blades are WT6-32. The rubber fell apart after 12 months and I recently ordered the following:

Renew 32" Heavy Duty Windshield Wiper Blade Pair with Wide Saddle Mount for Motorhome, Recreational Vehicle RV and bus with 2 Rubber Refills (Set of 2 Wipers and 2 Refills) RW32SM-2R https://a.co/d/7xfYsXV

The saddle width and mounting bolt/nut hole did not match, but I swapped the new rubber into the old metal wiper blade mounts and I still have a set of refills for next year.

Would I do it again? Absolutely! It is a much better system.

I have talked to other people who ordered similar kits and had none of the issues I had.

I’ll get some pictures in a few days.

Paul

• Like 1