Surge Tank Replacement

When i replaced mine there weren't many options.  I checked with Veurinks & Guaranty RV.    Guaranty had the better price at the time.   Veurinks now offers a metal tank for not much more then the nylon.   You may need a new low coolant level sensor also as the one I had was inserted from the top using a grommet type seal.  The new one screws in the side. 

Bob:

Yes manufacturer our own. Being an OCD guy who drives himself nuts I elected to build ours out of 304 stainless. Overkill ? Maybe.

But with an aviation background and the guys who worked on the project with me are all aerospace engineers, I wanted something that we

know would never fail for the life of the coach. I could have built them out of aluminum or metal and boosted my margins but elected to go with Stainless.

Metal rusts and aluminum is not nearly as strong as stainless. Like I said I am OCD and like to overbuild everything. 🙂

http://talinman.com/talin-vector-coolant-surge-tank/

• Like 1

Chris,

Are your vector tanks available again?  When I asked about one earlier this year,  you were changing some things and not sure when they would be available.  

Steve:

I just had a meeting yesterday over this delay, ( not a pleasant one either ). They got delayed because of the sight glasses. I only use fused glass 316 sight glasses and the glass manufacturer back ordered them. I refuse to go with a cheaper version of a sight glass so it held up our manufacturing. They will be done in 2 weeks. I do not want a repeat of this scenario so told my staff to double the production.

I apologize for this ship date getting pushed out. No one is more frustrated then me. Right now our economy is on fire and in the manufacturing sector high quality materials can be in short supply. They better be done in 2 weeks or heads will roll.

Thanks Chris, how do I get one as quickly as able?  I have an appt w a mechanic to swap out the tank, and put in OAT coolant and other maintenance.  Btw, which coolant do you recommend for 2006 Cummins 400isl?

38 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I had to have my radiator replaced in 2015 after road debris punched multiple holes in it.  I had Crosspoint Cummins of Knoxville do the work.  They recommended using ES Compleat Blue so that's what I went with.  https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/LT15070.pdf

Thanks James.  It looks like this one still needs testing and possibly coolant additives added when needed?  I have green coolant currently and am looking to change to an orange coolant that doesnt need additives.  I believe others have done that or am I mistaken?  These are a couple I have seen recommended. 

Screenshot_20190406-162633_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181125-081209_Chrome.jpg

Steve,

I used the Zerex Green when I changed out my coolant a year and half ago. It is not extended life and you still need to check it with strips periodically. What my be confusing you is that the Zerex Green already has the anti-ping additive in it so you don't have to add it when you replace the coolant. The first one you posted is the extended life type. Call me old fashion but I like to stay with the original stuff. It is getting more difficult to find and may force old farts like me to change over because we can't get it anymore. I had to order two cases of the Zerex Green from NAPA when I changed ours. What we are being told now is that it does not matter and you can mix the stuff without consequences. Cummins told me you could top off the green with their blue stuff that James posted above. Maybe so but its not going to happen at my house.

• Like 1

Chris: Why is the coolant level gauge mounted at the side of the tank? I will double check later today but it would be very hard to read. Shouldn't the site glass be at a higher level?

I know Bob Nodine likes to use the older style AF but I switched over to the long life coolant years ago. If one is anal about checking with strips the Old fashioned stuff is fine. If not you can destroy the liners. At one time OAT was hard to fund but now it is everywhere. Even at Wal Mart. Cost is about the same as regular diesel AF. Once and done!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

Chris: Why is the coolant level gauge mounted at the side of the tank? I will double check later today but it would be very hard to read. Shouldn't the site glass be at a higher level?

I know Bob Nodine likes to use the older style AF but I switched over to the long life coolant years ago. If one is anal about checking with strips the Old fashioned stuff is fine. If not you can destroy the liners. At one time OAT was hard to fund but now it is everywhere. Even at Wal Mart. Cost is about the same as regular diesel AF. Once and done!

Bill,

For me a side-mounted site-glass would be far better than just a single bubble type site-glass mounted high near the top of the tank which I think you were thinking of possibly.

Just my opinion.

CoolantExpansionTank1.png

Just before I had to have my radiator changed I was contemplating changing my coolant, at that time my rig was ~13 years old and I did not know if the coolant had ever been changed.  I bought the rig in 2008 and had kept up with the testing and filter changes with SCA additives.  To be honest the test strips seemed to be very subjective on the results.  

I didn't have a good place to do this at home so I called the Cummins shop and talked to the manager.  He told me it would be +$600 to do a change to an OAT type coolant since they would do a complete flush.  He advised me to take a sample and have it analyzed so I did.  Took a sample and sent to JG Lubrication.  Tests came back with flying colors, almost as if it was new antifreeze.

But then my radiator got trashed and had to have a complete change anyway.  To be able to move the motorhome to get it towed I rigged up a hose from the outside shower all the way to the radiator surge tank.  Started the coach, started the water pump and drove out of the parking area I was in so the tow truck could hook me up.  Pumped ~50 gallons of water through the engine.  Hence the complete flush, cooling system clean, and new antifreeze (had a new water pump installed at the same time).  

One benefit of the ES Compleat Blue is that it is a 1,000,000 mile coolant, yea you have to test but if the original coolant lasted ~13 years this should last the rest of the life of the motorhome.  I trusted the recommendation of the service manager.  Time will tell though.

So before you go to change your coolant you might just have it analyzed and save yourself time and $$.

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update, I purchased a replacement tank (steel) from Veruinks.  Very solid and with a little work got it on just fine.  EVerything is running great now.  Thanks for the input above.

Nate  A.

2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2020 at 7:46 AM, Steven P said:

Chris,

Are your vector tanks available again?  When I asked about one earlier this year,  you were changing some things and not sure when they would be available.  

@Steven P @throgmartin Chris announced at the Gathering that he has a new batch of the Vector tanks available.  See contact info in the Vendor section.

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2020 at 10:00 AM, Dr4Film said:

Bill,

For me a side-mounted site-glass would be far better than just a single bubble type site-glass mounted high near the top of the tank which I think you were thinking of possibly.

Just my opinion.

CoolantExpansionTank1.png

This design or one that has two sight glass "bubbles". One to show coolant level is high enough (showing coolant is in tank ) and one mounted higher up showing coolant is not too high (no coolant would show in this window).

It's important to know that coolant level is not rising due to diesel fuel or hyd oil getting into cooling system.  A "two window/bubble" tank or design as in the drawing above would show if coolant level is increasing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 2/1/2020 at 6:13 AM, throgmartin said:

I apologize for this ship date getting pushed out. No one is more frustrated then me. Right now our economy is on fire and in the manufacturing sector high quality materials can be in short supply. They better be done in 2 weeks or heads will roll.

Hi Chris. I patched my original plastic (nylon?) tank a few months ago and it held for a while but is leaking again. Are your tanks currently available? If so, do they come in different configurations for different Monaco models? It isn't clear from your website.

Thanks.

Jim