camera cable

Has anyone replaced their rear view, back up camera and if so were you able to use the old cable?  Was an adapter required?  I want to replace my junk back up camera with something better.  RV shop said the original cable will not match up to any of the newer cameras.  Thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

I replaced my B/W with a color system from RVCAMS. They were super helpful, and led me ot the correct cable adapter. Straightforward job and not much work.

I have no first-hand experience but a few on this forum have said to shy away from wireless systems in case you're tempted.

Edited by bobdinsmore

I haven't replaced mine yet because the camera I have on my 2005 Executive is not compatability with any new cameras and there is no known adapter for it.  It is a Panasonic TW-CC100B,  it uses a special interface located behind the dash,  between the Aladdin and the camera to convert the video format.  I'm told it wasn't used on many coaches so it hopefully you don't have this camera.  I talked with an ex- Monaco employee who installed these systems.  The solution I plan to implement is cut the camera off the cable at the rear of the coach, then cut other end off the "interface" and slimmest that interface completely.  Then I plan on soldering on new connectors will I'll use to connect to the new camera and also to the Aladdin system.  This won't be easy because of the tiny gauge wire, especially the shielded video portion.  I'll also have to provide for the proper voltage to the camera as that was previously supplied by the interface adapter.  My suggestion is to first determine the manufacturer and model of your existing camera and then search on that.  There are many adapters available for many different cameras, just not mine. 

I believe PWhittle on this site is formulating replacement back up cameras. Perhaps he'll chime in. Get on a waiting list because once he's perfected it, as he has with the front cameras, there will be a long list. His designs are plug and play.....Dennis

Few years ago my Panasonic camera quit. The type with S-video type connector and VGA converter. I cut both ends of the cable, used the one shielded lead for video and 2 of the other leads for power. Soldered connectors to match the new camera and RCA at the video lead in dash. I have a Triptek instead of Aladin  so the video goes to it first and from there to a new Pioneer receiver's screen. Works great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Few years ago my Panasonic camera quit. The type with S-video type connector and VGA converter. I cut both ends of the cable, used the one shielded lead for video and 2 of the other leads for power. Soldered connectors to match the new camera and RCA at the video lead in dash. I have a Triptek instead of Aladin  so the video goes to it first and from there to a new Pioneer receiver's screen. Works great.

That is my plan.  What camera did you use for rear view? 

I have a 06 Scepter and replaced my back up camera with an Amazon ZEROXCLUB wired camera. I ran the wires down from the old camera housing, drilled a hole at the bottom of the chamber to drop the wire and ran it under the chassis and up under the dash.  Works great you just mount with care the insulation on the wires is light weight. I ran it through sheathing in some places.

I have a couple cameras to try for my rear camera replacement. One is a BOYO and one is a Voyager. Both have microphones and are similar specs and should both be better than the original Sony camera.

I plan to make adapter cables that will plug into the existing cables. The BOYO uses a (different) standard connector. The Voyager is proprietary so I am deciding between spending the extra $25-$30 on a Voyager adapter cable, or just cut it off and attach the correct connector.

Still a few weeks or so out on finishing mine.

Paul

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, waterskier_1 said:

That is my plan.  What camera did you use for rear view? 

I used a generic round camera from Amazon, made an aluminum plate to close the old camera's hole. It mounted into a small round hole in the new plate. Cheap and so much better picture than the Panasonic ever had. I took this pic in total darkness now at Q so it sucks.

20210317_194738.jpg

• Like 1

My concern is that I use my rear view about 98% of the time the ignition is on... the rest is side view.  I have the BOYO  cameras to replace the side view, but they are not rated as rear view (more like a backup camera with 2% usage).  It my understanding that there is a difference between 100% duty and occasional backing.  

Hi Rick,

I have not seen a duty cycle rating in the BOYO VTK230HD speciations. Is that the BOYO camera you are using?

Mine are powered all the time, at least all the time the Aladdin is on. So far I have not had an issue, but I will check with the manufacturer.

Paul

8 hours ago, pwhittle said:

Hi Rick,

I have not seen a duty cycle rating in the BOYO VTK230HD speciations. Is that the BOYO camera you are using?

Mine are powered all the time, at least all the time the Aladdin is on. So far I have not had an issue, but I will check with the manufacturer.

Paul

Paul, yes that is the camera I have to replace the cameras on the side view mirrors.  You are correct that the spec sheet doesn't give duty cycle, but does consider it a back-up/parking camera, not a rear-view camera.  It is my understanding that the difference is a rear-view is expected to be turned on most of the time, while a back-up/parking camera is energized only when the vehicle is in reverse.  I understand you can energize it all the time, just wondering whether the camera was designed for that.  I'll have to look more closely at my Aladdin wiring diagrams, but I am pretty sure that the cameras only get power when the turn signal or reverse lights are energized.  Oh, of course you can energize the cameras with the joystick too, but I thought that only powered up the camera selected, not that all were always powered on, and the selection was only the video feed from a specific camera.  

Timely topic, I have the Mito EXC-100 rear camera which still works but would like better clarity.  I don't know if there would be much improvement using the original Kenwood KVT-M707 monitor with a newer HD camera?  It mounts behind and looks through a hole in a metal plate which has a nipple for "Camera Air", which is high pressure air to blow debris off of the camera lens when driving in rain.  It is very effective and has a Camera Air switch mounted beside the driver.

Rear Camera and Docking Lights.JPG

Rear Camera.JPG

Edited by Hypoxia
  • Like 1

My Dynasty doesn't look like some of your camera installations.  The  Amazon ZEROXCLUB wired camera looks like it would work, but I'm not sure how it would mount.  I haven't had a chance to get up close and really take mine apart, it's snowing today, again, and cold.  C'mon global warming.  Hope to get to it soon though.  The mounting stud on the rear view camera is what has me confused.  Not sure, until I can take my housing apart, how all that will work or if I will have to make some sort of bracket.  For those that have installed one of these, did you have to make a bracket for it?  Thanks.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

• 4 months later...

I have a 2005 dynasty with a panasonic rear view camera.  I need to replace this camera with has a s-video type of connector.  The current camera is a panasonic tw-cc200bamt.  does any one know of a replacement camera I can use?  I don't want to change the monitor, just the rear-view camera.

thanks,

steveg 2005 DDIV

I don't know if there still are any s-video cameras but if not and if you display does not actually require this kind of connection, you'll have many options. Mine used a VGA converter under the dash that I removed, selected a shielded lead inside the existing camera cable to use for common VGA camera and used that for video.

• Like 1

I didn't find any direct replacement cameras, nor did I find any conversion "pig tails" to allow a newer camera to connect to the s-video cable.  I have not yet done my replacement, but I plan on cutting the connector off, and finding a shielded cable in the mix, and using it for the video from the replacement camera.  I'll have to do the same at the other end and eliminate the s-video to composite video converter too.  I'm not sure why they use s-video vs composite video, for the rear camera.  I'm not aware that s-video can travel longer distances without degrading.

The other thing you might consider is if you are planning on continuing to run the camera(s) through the Aladdin System, I'm not sure it can handle HD video.  I'm not saying it can't, but suspect maybe it can't.  I've never seen any spec's on the Aladdin system.  That said, there have been several who have used the BOYO cameras as replacement in their mirrors and are satisfied with the video.  The BOYO is slightly higher than SD resolution, so maybe Aladdin is only providing SD, but the camera itself is better so the overall image is consider by many to be an improvement.  But I'm not sure I'd spend a lot of extra money on a super HD camera if I was planning on routing the video through the Aladdin system.  If you plan on bypassing the Aladdin, and routing directly to an HD monitor, it should work fine. You can also get HD Monitors with switching capability (turn signal and backup) built in, and totally eliminate the Aladdin for video purposes.

I took a look, and there are four wires coming out of the camera.  I would think 2 are for power (one +, one -).  But, what would the other two wires be?  One should be the shielded video signal itself, but not sure what the other one is.  I did find this panasonic adaptor from s-video to RCA connector.  https://www.tadibrothers.com/products/panasonic-backup-camera-adaptor

This may be useful.  As Ivan mentioned, I would need a modern rear-view camera (probably need a SD resolution).  Eliminate the converter box where the camera currently plugs into and use just the standard RCA connectors using the existing video signal wire.

thanks for the inputs,

steveg 2005 DDIV

6 hours ago, ekgflashnet said:

Hmmm.  I didn't realize I had any sound from the rear camera.  

steveg

You can listen to your engine while backing up, you sure won't hear your marshaller tell you when to stop!  The only use for audio that I can see is when using the camera at night to hear what is going on back there.  That is also the reason I would prefer a newer camera with better night vision as well as brighter rear docking lights, basically a security camera.  That would require the new camera to have audio and I don't know which ones do.