Intellitec Support - CPU and Keypad backups and restores

2 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Curiosity.  I looked at the sales brochure for your Windsor.  I thought you had what I call the MPX LITE.  That is a MPX that will only control or was designed to do lights, ceiling fans and the water pump.  Mine has a small control device called an IPX.  The earlier MPX LITE used a chip or were connected the the Intellitec EMS.

The MPX LITE was then used on the Camelot/Scepter until the Roadmaster chassis units went out of production when REV bought it.  We do not have the CPU or the Programmable “computer” (in industry this was called a PLC or Programmable Logic Controller and was the heart of CNC machines and could run AutoCad files).

It is my understanding that changing button functions or even adding new buttons is possible.  BUT, to do something like adding new switches to control slides or any other switched functions, including a “Master On” switch requires a stand alone CPU like the “FULL” MPX has that was standard on the 2006 Dynasty (and up) models.

Does your system have some sort of MINI CPU that is programmable but not like the full MPX?  That would be great info. I was not aware of but 2 varieties.

Please advise….a picture of your “board” would be great.

Thanks.

For those who want more technical information including differences between the Intellitec Multiplex systems, it can all be downloaded from our files.  There is more technical info than you'd likely ever need to know - all the way down to system design.

In the Dynasty models and above, Monaco included a Programmable Multiplex Control CPU (PMC-CPU) module.  On Camelot and below models, there was no PMC-CPU module.

As far as I know, Monaco never used an Intellitec Mini-bus Multiplex System.  The Mini-bus system was limited to a maximum of only 16 inputs.

https://www.monacoers.org/files/category/55-lighting-systems-interior/

3 hours ago, windsorbill06 said:

Tom, I believe your correct, but I've never heard it called the "mini".   Makes sense, though.     Mine  controls only lights and the water pump.  No shades, fans, slides or anything else.  It gets power from the intellitec EMS.     On my other thread, which I'll update, I did move the toilet room switches to another location.  Same switches, same functions, just a different location.  It was simple to extend the wires.  

While I was chatting with Paul, he said it would be 'easy' if I ever wanted to add another switch plate at some other location and program each individual switch.  Just splice in the wires and run them to the new location,  program a switch pad to the light of your choice.  Boom!  Done!    Hard part is finding the switches/switch board itself.  Maybe @pwhittle can comment on any 'mini CPU', these beast have, but I don't believe it's in my coach.   There is really nothing for me to 'back up'.  Paul did offer to re-program my individual switch plates, but as I mentioned earlier,   not real high priority right now.  

Between all the posts, I think the confusion was making a reference to a “board”. I probably should not have used the term “mini”….as there appears to be a system like that.

You basically have the MPX LITE (my term). That is just (typically) 2 dimming modules and a relay output module.  The incandescent are “usually” controlled by the dimming, but I have seen some (memory) fluorescents on one of them….or so the poster says.  In theory, the single ON/OFF functions like Fans And Water Pumps and Fluorescents are toggle ON/OFF.  BUT according to Frank Monaco also MAY have used some different PN Modules that MIGHT have had dimming as well as only toggling.

Paul & Frank are the experts., but looking at my system and helping others to lighten Frank’s load, and learning….as long as you have the legend or the prints, then the Modules will be an ALPHA character.  Then you read the circuit number.  So basically, you identify WHICH button operates which light. Then you look on the legend as well as the module.  Vanity light in private toilet might be G-7.  Usually that is one button and only one switch.  The fluorescent overhead in the private toilet might have 3 different keypads that work it.  The code for every one MUST be the same….like H-5.  Water pump is same….except like your key pad, you have a hard wired wet bay switch.  I have a fluorescent switch at the door on the passenger side (arm rest) lower.  There is also a MPX Button.  I know the rocker (spring loaded) is also wired to that.

You CAN add more keypads….and you can actually add a circuit.  One CRAZY example.  Suppose you wanted an internal Wake The Dead 120 DB burglar alarm horn or module….like I have as a remote from my alarm system beside my bed because of my hearing.  You take out a 4 button and cut like you did, a larger hole.  Put it in.  Then you program one of the new keys as ALARM.  Give it a non used ON/OFF circuit like G 9 (see above).  Any time you push that button you get a 12 VDC signal to power an auto alarm horn.  Want it up front as well.  Add or replace a 4 with a 6.  Give one button the G 9.  All you are doing is using spare circuits…

BUT, as Frank said and I had asked him earlier….you can NOT add a MASTER ON (all lights on) or such as that would require a CPU

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2021 at 3:39 PM, pwhittle said:

Hi All,

I see a lot of people on this and other forums that are not having an easy time getting support for their Intellitec questions and issues.

Along with others on this forum, I have gained a pretty good understanding of how the Intellitec system works on our 2005 Monaco Signature and how to backup and restore the main CPU and the keypads.

I reached out to Intellitec about becoming an official Intellitec reseller, and they welcomed me! I can now order direct from Intellitec for any Intellitec parts that you may need.

One of the important things that all owners with Intellitec Multiplex systems should do is to make a backup of their main CPU as well as each of their keypads. If the main CPU or a keypad develops a fault, you want to have the data to program a replacement. If you do not, it becomes significantly more difficult, time consuming, and costly.

I am in the process of assembling kits that will contain the Intellitec programming adapter that works for the CPU and the keypads, a USB drive with the necessary software and to store your backups on, an instruction guide on how to make the backups, some tools to make getting the keypad covers off easier, and a way to contact me for questions and support. I do not have final pricing yet, but it is expected to be in the $400-$500 price range for the complete kit.

I will also be able to do this as a service for you if we are in the same location without buying the kit.

Let me know if this is of interest to you and I can include you in the first set of kits to go out.

Paul Whittle

Paul, I have read your post and hoping that you have your kits ready to go. I would really be interested in one. Where do we go from here. How can I get in touch with you. Thanks 

Hi Ray,

We have found that the need for the kit is not really important, and not worth the price it would end up being for me to put together and support.

The same program was used for all coaches in the same year, and we typically have backups of a coach that will work on yours if the controller were to fail. Also the failure rate of the controller is very low.

The two I know about that failed we’re caused by water intrusion or 120v on the multiplex bus.

I don’t charge for backups or programming your equipment. I do charge for repairs (to keypads) or if I have sourced a keypad or controller and you would like to buy it.

My phone number is on my profile, or PM me. I am north of Atlanta.

Paul

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, pwhittle said:

Hi Ray,

We have found that the need for the kit is not really important, and not worth the price it would end up being for me to put together and support.

The same program was used for all coaches in the same year, and we typically have backups of a coach that will work on yours if the controller were to fail. Also the failure rate of the controller is very low.

The two I know about that failed we’re caused by water intrusion or 120v on the multiplex bus.

I don’t charge for backups or programming your equipment. I do charge for repairs (to keypads) or if I have sourced a keypad or controller and you would like to buy it.

Paul

Paul is correct - between the two of us we have most if not all the Intellitec CPU programs used by Monaco and Paul already has copies or all the CPU programs I have. 

Even when it comes to the keypad programs - most codes can be figured out from the wiring schematics or labels on the modules in the Intellitec electronics cabinet.  We even figured out labels for the virtual keypads in the CPU software program.  So, is it nice to have copies of your CPU and keypad programs?  Yes - it's nice to have but it's not critical.

For systems without an Intellitec PMC CPU module (Camelot, Windsor, Diplomat), there have been a few posts explaining how to code the keypads just by reading the labels on the Intellitec power modules.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pwhittle said:

Hi Ray,

Paul

Thanks Paul for getting back to me. I will keep you in mind in the event we have issues. Thank again. 

7 hours ago, Discover 17 said:

Thanks Paul for getting back to me. I will keep you in mind in the event we have issues. Thank again. 

Ditto to what Frank & Paul posted.  M&M RV Electronics became the “factory paid” tech support for the Intellitec items after their main tech guy had a massive coronary.  The father & son team have been to our Gatherings a few times.

Early on, there was not a lot of “Guru’s” out there like Frank & Paul.  We are fortunate to have them.  Monaco was “picky” about the systems from a “cash cow” standpoint.  They would sell you a brand new, programmed for your MH, CPU.  Some folks here probably have a backup.  They also “coerced” the RV shops that worked on similar systems by declaring that the “software” was proprietary and licensed “by” them.  In reality, they wrote the PLC program or operating logic for the CPU.  Those of us with industrial experience call it a Programmable Logic Control system.  Based on Boolean logic.  Any person that could program a machine tool or robot could understand it.

However, Monaco did have…as M&M has, the “License” key….so they actually could write or modify the program.  You would need a license to modify or change a switch or add some additional functions.  However, as our guys said, there was “one” program that had every “factory” option in the program, by model year.  If you didn’t have a function, like a drop down TV, that feature was in the base or master program….just not a function of one of the output modules.

Bottom line, we are unique and have copies, which are not any violation of the supposed proprietary software….so you match the year and any copy will work.  Folks can download, I think, the “read & copy” software but need an interface device and some cabling.  I believe that was what would be in Paul’s kit….but he is the expert.

The only OTHER failure I am aware of was a “fried” CPU.  A Monaco owner bought “new” 6 VDC House batteries from a Walmart.  The “ace battery expert” sold and installed 4 or 8 “RV Combo” batteries.  Opps, there is not a 6 VDC RV COMBO BATTERY since these are usually for fishermen with a 12 VDC trolling motor & a 12 VDC cranking outboard.

Thus, the house was converted to a 24 VDC system and internally hemorrhaged.  Walmart paid for damages.  M&M had to rebuild the program…..as they didn’t have one or were not aware of the “master….by year”.  Very expensive.

LOTS of myths & conjecture & misinformation.  BUT, the “threat” of being sued by Monaco, way back when, caused lots of shops to say.  NOPE….DO NOT WORK ON OR REPAIR MONACO MPX.  Early on, I tried to chase down some well known shops for making a backup.  I talked to a chief tech for one of the “factory authorized” facilities for ForeTravel.  He flat told me that they were bullied by some Monaco folks….so they just will not work on them.

Many well qualified RV electronics techs can do a bit of troubleshooting, with M&M help and they send the components (switches usually) to M&M For reprogramming….

Just hang on to Paul and Frank….and don’t let someone switch you to a 24 VDC House system….

Moderator EDIT

This was a new topic, but it should be in the current topic.  It has been merged. Thanks for understanding

END of EDIT

Paul Whittle is the guy to rebuild your poorly functioning Intellitech wall switches. I just received a six button switch from Paul that I sent him a week ago. The thing works wonderfully. I have recovered use of one of the light fixtures that previously would not light up. Paul knows a ton about our multiplex lighting systems and I am so happy to be able to reach out to him when we have a problem. Thank you, Paul!

Edited by Tom Cherry
Ongoing discussion...same issue....merged
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine Are all working fine now I do not that to remain so. Add me to your list.

On another item I bumped the power button going out the door and shut down all power from the salesman switch yesterday. Today I removed the fuse from that switch eliminating all possibility of that happening again UNTIL I reinstall that fuse.

6 hours ago, welleking said:

Mine Are all working fine now I do not that to remain so. Add me to your list.

On another item I bumped the power button going out the door and shut down all power from the salesman switch yesterday. Today I removed the fuse from that switch eliminating all possibility of that happening again UNTIL I reinstall that fuse.

This topic pertains to owners that have the Intellitec House Multiplex system that controls the lights and many other functions. That was not added to the Dynasties until circa 2006.

Your 1995 Executive does NOT have the Intellitec MPX System. 

HOWEVER, as a note for owners that DO have the MPX system...as well as Camelot, Windsor and Scepter owners with the partial or hybrid system ....and to avoid some confusion about the salesman switch...

DO NOT try to reboot or disconnect and reconnect the house power to reset or reboot the MPX system at the battery terminals.  Use the Disconnect switch (house battery) OR the Salesman Switch or Solenoid to shut down and reboot the CPU on the system.  Using the TURN OFF POWER method of "disconnecting" the batteries to power it down and then reconnect is a dangerous practice.

There is NO CLEAN way to bring power on when you have loose terminals on the batteries.  You will get pulses or quick connections...as when you try to tighten the battery posts....it is generally a "flash on and flash off" or such.  That intermittent situation has been known to result in a partial or poor reboot of the system (don't ask WHY I have such knowledge...LOL), therefore rebooting the CPU and the MPX must be done in a "Switched" manner.  The disconnect switches and the salesman switches are the clean and correct way to reboot 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

I will be at the Cajun RV Rally April 8-14 if anyone would like their Intellitec system backed up.

There is no charge for this.

Thanks!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No plans to head as far west as TX, but will be back in New Orleans and up to Chicago in the next couple of months.

Paul

21 minutes ago, pwhittle said:

No plans to head as far west as TX, but will be back in New Orleans and up to Chicago in the next couple of months.

Paul

OK,  If we don't meet up on the road, hope to see you at the next Monacoers.

How to ID the type of Intellic system? Programable or not? Mine has a Mx control master p/n 00-00837-000.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Goodtimes said:

How to ID the type of Intellic system? Programable or not? Mine has a Mx control master p/n 00-00837-000.

Thanks

That master is NOT programmable.

Here is a link to a very good document in our files that explains the two different Intellitec multiplex systems.  One is programmable and one is not.

Thank you Frank. I read both documents and how have a better understanding. My Beaver has the simple system with dip switches. It works fine.

Thanks