Cooling system capacity

After 2 1/2 years of owning a 2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40' with the Cummins ISC 8.3 liter 330 HP engine, I just learned about SCA's!  Have determined I need to add Fleetwood DCA4 to my system.  Having scoured my owner's manual from front to back, I can find nowhere which addresses the coolant capacity.  Page 10-249 includes a sentence "Refer to the Coolant Capacity Specifications in this section."  I find no such information anywhere.

I understand there will be variation depending on the coolant plumbing, heater, etc.

HELP!

Roy Million

2001 HR Endeavor

2003 Honda Element 

There are test strips available from Cummins which are dated so make sure you get fresh ones.

Then there is a calculation based on the test strip as to how much DCA has to be added. Speedco used to measure mine whenever I had service done there but I haven't used them in a few years now that I have found an excellent service company to take care of all of my engine service and repairs.

My ISC 350 has a coolant filter which also contains slow release DCA that I replace every year. Your ISC 330 may or may not have one.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/eme/analysis

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/pdf_archive/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT15626.pdf

Edited by Dr4Film

On 6/8/2021 at 8:24 AM, millionroy said:

Having scoured my owner's manual from front to back, I can find nowhere which addresses the coolant capacity.  Page 10-249 includes a sentence "Refer to the Coolant Capacity Specifications in this section."  I find no such information anywhere.

I understand there will be variation depending on the coolant plumbing, heater, etc.

Roy Million

2001 HR Endeavor

2003 Honda Element 

Your manual doesn't have a Chassis Information section in the back? Mine has table of Chassis Liquid Capacities. It's aaaaaalllll the way at the back of the manual.

Cheers,

Walter

You will also find engine capacities in the cummins book that came with the owners manual, however it does not include the amount of coolant for the radiator or the mile of heater hose.

i have just replaced my water pump, t stat, and radiator, then i used my vacuator to pull the entire cooling system into a vacume to 25 inches at my system took 10 gallons which put the level smack in the middle of Min/Max

as for the the coolant filter i have read that if you use the OAT coolant by fleetguard that you no longer have to use the slow release filters, instead you buy the same spin on filter however it only has a screen, a little homework will net you information around all that. I got the info off the Cummins coolant website.

i chose to use the Fleetguard fleetcool EX, Cummins authorized one million mile life of the engine coolant that is capatable with other coolants. I mixed it 50/50 with distilled water, also i found this stuff on Amazon. I purchased 6 gallons so with putting 10 gallons in the engine, left me with 2 i then drained my genny and it took 1 gallon, so now i carry one on board for topping off.

when reading the back of the bottle it states i dont need to add a “precharge” which when using other coolants you have to add a precharge liquid. However like Dr.4film states you need to test your coolant and replace with one of 4 different strength type of spin on filters. This info is also in the Cummins manual along with i believe the part numbers.

I just had a “BFO” that in fact may be why i had to replace my radiator, cause when i bought my rig the filter looked original🙀which may have lead to the failure... Maybe

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks to all.  Page 10-271 in my owners manual  has chassis and engine specs and tank capacities, with no mention of coolant capacity.  I bought this used and it didn't come with a Cummins book of any sort, just what is in the owner's manual.  

I was considering the OAT after draining and going through serial flushes with distilled water.  Probably check with Fleetguard Test Strips monthly a few times until I get it where it needs to be.

I didn't appreciate how maintenance free our 1996 Rexhall Rexair with the Ford 460 was!!  I still like the Endeavor, but would recommend anyone  buying any DP spend some time educating themselves before committing, unless they are independently wealthy and just hire folks to take care of all that stuff!

32 minutes ago, millionroy said:

I didn't appreciate how maintenance free our 1996 Rexhall Rexair with the Ford 460 was!!  I still like the Endeavor, but would recommend anyone  buying any DP spend some time educating themselves before committing, unless they are independently wealthy and just hire folks to take care of all that stuff!

Ha! Welcome to the club.

Learning about diesel cooling systems is just the start of our hazing ritual. Just wait till you see the wiring diagrams...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So what is the recommended coolant for our older 2002 Monaco? It’s obviously confusing, coolant type, coolant additive, SCA charged filters, what size of pre charged filers? I plan on having a hopefully Qualified Service center do mine to get it off my plate and hopefully have done correctly. I need to have some knowledge on this to be able to ask the right informed questions before doing so. 

1 hour ago, tmw188 said:

So what is the recommended coolant for our older 2002 Monaco? It’s obviously confusing, coolant type, coolant additive, SCA charged filters, what size of pre charged filers? I plan on having a hopefully Qualified Service center do mine to get it off my plate and hopefully have done correctly. I need to have some knowledge on this to be able to ask the right informed questions before doing so. 

Todd,

The correct coolant can be the original Green Ethylene Glycol (which I have and use) in addition to managing the DCA level with a new slow release coolant filter plus bottles of DCA depending on how much is needed to maintain the proper level. Or you can change over to the ES Compleat Extended Life OAT Coolant and use a non-DCA coolant filter.

The choice is up to you which way to go. I chose to use the older coolant which is also used in my Aqua-Hot boiler so I only have to carry one type of coolant.

Here is a GREAT write-up on coolants for RV diesel engines. This will answer all of your questions and concerns.

https://www.rvtechmag.com/tech/27_coolants.php

• Like 1

Thanks Richard for the great info! I have my coolant report back and I’m probably going to change it out, possibly have a Cummins shop do it instead of doing it myself. I may just go with the new stuff if it’s not an issue. The gen I guess will still use the green Prestone coolant. They both have the green currently.  I guess my coolant filter would change to a different filter? This is all very confusing. 

Todd, the Fleetguard WF2071 is what I use which has the DCA additive included. If you change to the OAT Lifetime coolant then the non-DCA coolant filter is WF2122.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/south-pacific/sites/cumminsfiltration-empty.bitnamiapp.com.south-pacific/files/LT32599_07 Fleetguard Products %26 Parts Technical Information Catalogue Water Filters.pdf

36 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Once again great info. Is there any pitfalls of changing it? Your saying DCA I assume your finger is hitting the D instead of the S? SCA

SCA = Supplemental Coolant Additive. DCA = Diesel Coolant Additive. The terms are used interchangeably.

4 hours ago, tmw188 said:

So there is a difference, or just called two different things? I hadn’t heard of the DSA. 

Sorry Richard I asked a question that was already addressed in your explanation. That’s what happens when your helping the wife and trying to sneak in a reply🤪

12 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Todd,

The correct coolant can be the original Green Ethylene Glycol (which I have and use) in addition to managing the DCA level with a new slow release coolant filter plus bottles of DCA depending on how much is needed to maintain the proper level. Or you can change over to the ES Compleat Extended Life OAT Coolant and use a non-DCA coolant filter.

The choice is up to you which way to go. I chose to use the older coolant which is also used in my Aqua-Hot boiler so I only have to carry one type of coolant.

Here is a GREAT write-up on coolants for RV diesel engines. This will answer all of your questions and concerns.

https://www.rvtechmag.com/tech/27_coolants.php

Richard wow what a great read, I recommend it to any of us not understanding this stuff. You were right about it answering my questions and concerns. It mentioned it could be used in your genny, is there any reason you don’t? So my take away is I can use the OAT Compleat or the ES Compleat in my wet sleeve motor if I want to change it. It seems a lot less work involved.

Edited by tmw188

11 hours ago, tmw188 said:

Richard wow what a great read, I recommend it to any of us not understanding this stuff. You were right about it answering my questions and concerns. It mentioned it could be used in your genny, is there any reason you don’t? So my take away is I can use the OAT Compleat or the ES Compleat in my wet sleeve motor if I want to change it. It seems a lot less work involved.

Todd, I choose to carry only one type of coolant for topping off, the Green Ethylene Glycol, as that is what I use use in my engine, generator and Aqua-Hot boiler. It makes it simpler and easier instead of having to carry a bunch of different bottles.

Yes you did say that, you could use it in both the genny and your motor, but maybe the Aqua Hot is different. I didn’t know either whether the makeup of the radiator had played into that decision. Many seem to just keep the Green coolant but I didn’t know why.  

Edited by tmw188
Needed clarification

Does your Windsor have an Aqua-Hot System?

The Aqua-Hot models differ by year and model number. The earlier models that have the fresh water loop wrapped around the outside of the boiler tank can use either the green Ethylene Glycol mixed with 50% distilled water or the any of the safe GRAS boiler fluids available on the market today. The newer models that have the fresh water loop built inside the boiler tank can ONLY use the PG environmentally safe boiler fluid such as the Century Heat Transfer Boiler Fluid or a less expensive one such as Cryo-Tec-100 available from Lowe's.

Edited by Dr4Film

Yes I was wondering about that with the AH but didn’t want to take this down a different path. Friend has the AH in a 2015 Phaeton. I believe it’s the later version.

Richard, No I do not have a AH

Edited by tmw188

On 6/8/2021 at 8:24 AM, millionroy said:

After 2 1/2 years of owning a 2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40' with the Cummins ISC 8.3 liter 330 HP engine, I just learned about SCA's!  Have determined I need to add Fleetwood DCA4 to my system.  Having scoured my owner's manual from front to back, I can find nowhere which addresses the coolant capacity.  Page 10-249 includes a sentence "Refer to the Coolant Capacity Specifications in this section."  I find no such information anywhere.

HELP!

Roy Million

2001 HR Endeavor

2003 Honda Element 

Roy, I didn’t mean to hijack your thread the last few days but I guess it was along the same lines and probably most were following it. 
I too can’t find the coolant capacity in my manual, not even a range. 

Oh by the way at a Rural King in a neighboring town I found some Peak Fully Formulated coolant today for $10.99 gal

3097E991-27A3-4167-A6CE-959D70AE4C6F.jpeg

Edited by tmw188

Wow, I just bought 15 gallons of  Peak Final Charge from Auto Zone for for $17.26 a gallon, with the understanding I can return the unused.  Have it in hand along with  a non sca filter and new thermostat.  Have an appointment Tuesday to have a new muffler installed and am anxious to see if that alleviates my overheating problem.  The hole in the muffler was aimed directly at the bottom of the fan and I had been wondering why the engine cover in the closet was turning black esp on the side to the rear.  Will still do the cooling system, but am anxious to see if the muffler replacement improves cooling.  I really expect it will make a significant difference.  The last time I took it out, coming up a long grade, I downshifted to keep my RPM at 2,000 and it didn't help at all.  I was only directing more hot exhaust to my radiator!!!

Just a point.  If you use Fleetguard OAT lifetime, for us RVers, if you need to replace more than 20% with another brand lifetime you must change out the Fleetguard OAT to maintain the cavitation protection and other protections.  It is cheap insurance.  It is in the manuals and I contacted Fleetguard to confirm.  I had a leak requiring replacement of no Fleetguard brand at 30% over the period of a trip of 1000 miles.  I could not find Fleetguard OAT Complete anywhere.