8.3 ISC water pump failure

So I'm on the road from SLC to DEN, overnighted at Rawlings, WY ..... arrived there in a rain/hail storm, got on my site and hooked up... water everywhere...

This morning as we pulled out the "water low" light came on, I stopped at a local autoparts store on the way to the highway and when I came out with some antifreeze I found out why the light was on.... big puddle and active dripping.    Probably leaked all night....

No parts or repair shops in Rawlings so off to Laramie where there was supposed to be a pump.   Managed to keep adding water as we go and monitor temps, got to NAPA and they only had one of the two different pumps they showed in stock so I bought the one.  I have since looked closely at the new pump and compared it to the installed pump and no way it is the correct pump.   Managed to get these numbers off the pulley... 3286293   which crosses to the NAPA pump that was out of stock.   Called all the usual local autopart stores and none carry (keep in stock) the cross referenced pump.   Hoping I can try NAPA between Laramie and Denver tomorrow and get lucky with one on the shelf.

Meanwhile, keeping water in the system I'm going to try to head south tomorrow... anybody think that running mostly tap water for a few hundred more miles will hurt anything as long as I keep water in it??

Ken

1 hour ago, Cubflyer said:

So I'm on the road from SLC to DEN, overnighted at Rawlings, WY ..... arrived there in a rain/hail storm, got on my site and hooked up... water everywhere...

This morning as we pulled out the "water low" light came on, I stopped at a local autoparts store on the way to the highway and when I came out with some antifreeze I found out why the light was on.... big puddle and active dripping.    Probably leaked all night....

No parts or repair shops in Rawlings so off to Laramie where there was supposed to be a pump.   Managed to keep adding water as we go and monitor temps, got to NAPA and they only had one of the two different pumps they showed in stock so I bought the one.  I have since looked closely at the new pump and compared it to the installed pump and no way it is the correct pump.   Managed to get these numbers off the pulley... 3286293   which crosses to the NAPA pump that was out of stock.   Called all the usual local autopart stores and none carry (keep in stock) the cross referenced pump.   Hoping I can try NAPA between Laramie and Denver tomorrow and get lucky with one on the shelf.

Meanwhile, keeping water in the system I'm going to try to head south tomorrow... anybody think that running mostly tap water for a few hundred more miles will hurt anything as long as I keep water in it??

Ken

When mine went out,I could only find one at Cummings

When you say out of stock, was that in the whole Napa system or just that store?  If they do have one in the system, I would call the closest  to your next stop and order to be there when you arrive.  Normally the can get them in a day or two.  

as for running water, I would think it would be ok for a short time to get by. Them a good flush and fill once repaired. 
I may add a water pump to my spare parts list. I am sure it is just a matter of time before I will have to change one.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies,

NAPA part search was while in Rawlings, they said Laramie had one, not sure the search extended beyond that.  NAPA in Laramie, where I'm at, is closed today but stores in Colorado open at 9 today and I will be calling them.... and even if they do not have it on their shelf, maybe they can get one soonest.

I will sign up for the Cummins Quick Serve.... but I have to find my s/n.

As for continuing running with filling water every 20 miles, we are re-evaluating that idea... may get a rental car and chase the part with that and just hit the only campground in town for a few days.... they were booked up for last night so we spent the night in a truck parking lot.

Ken

Morning 

it is a tough call to make, if it was ME I would have stayed close to the first Napa I came to, try to find a camp site and or stay in a parking lot close by where I could have access to LOTS of parts/tools.

I just returned from the east coast (Canada) in my 2010 Dodge 6,7 L pulling my 5000lb boat, got up in the morning and same thing (water pump) called the Dealership  and they took it in, Napa had the pump there in a few hours, it was not even worth the stress or getting my hands dirty for $ 550.00 for water pump,new belt and labor. I am doing a turn around and back to the east coast at the end of the month,this time with the coach pulling my 2010 Dodge Crew cab Cummins Diesel,  fingers crossed that we have no issues , if I do I am going to make a cup of coffee and make a plan, find a Cummins dealership /shop and limp it in.

I am very hesitant to drive any distance with a failing water pump.

Just being Wayne

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

It is leaking profusely with no cap and even with the engine off.... decided to park it here in Laramie until fixed.  I'll be doing a lot of walking unless I find a rent-a-car..

Wayne,

Note to self... do not breakdown in Rawlings, WY .... very limited resources.

I hope things work out as good as that for me.

31 minutes ago, Cubflyer said:

It is leaking profusely with no cap and even with the engine off.... decided to park it here in Laramie until fixed.  I'll be doing a lot of walking unless I find a rent-a-car..

Wayne,

Note to self... do not breakdown in Rawlings, WY .... very limited resources.

I hope things work out as good as that for me.

Thanks, good luck, it always works out.

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Mornin everybody, so earlier this summer one of the cooling system repairs was to replace my original water pump, i had used my “esn” to order the pump thru a truck shop. The one i recieved was so different looking i took it back to have them verify or to “recheck” there part, in case it was boxed wrong cause its such a pita to assemble. They came back an told me the original design had been updated soooo many times since the original was released, so i installed it and HUH! It was the right one. In the pictures the one on the right is the original, and i ordered mine thru a HD truck shop. Cause the amount of issues i had trying to get the correct tensioner thru napa was such a disaster, which i eventually quit them, cause they were getting pissy with me due to there special orders were all wrong.42072370-1791-4762-A65D-E1B9CCB3C2C5.thumb.jpeg.7ba07ab955b5a776a4b24582443ee793.jpeg2B3828C2-38ED-4A4C-90FE-ED79845651E8.thumb.jpeg.8d8e68805b5ecedf362a363091ef58d2.jpeg849D4A8B-979C-44E6-BF85-9DF356844886.thumb.jpeg.88027ab92124c777da142efaa6a82cf7.jpeg

• Like 1

By the way the damage from running water in place of coolant has already begun, hot engine vs dropping level of water, plus the cavitation = rust on the cylinder walls and erosion on all the wrong gaskets. With Ford diesel engines when ever a customer brought there truck in for repair an they had used water we had special chemicles we had to use to stop the rusting / flaking process that had already begun. After you replace your WP, remember to replace your coolant filter and to use a quality cummins approved coolant “100k” in fact i would  recommend Running the concentration over the 50/50% just cause you have a straight water concentration thru out the system right now. One more thing is the thermostat, if its original, its not that much more work and it would be a shame to have to loose the coolant you just put one in. I understand all this “emergency” type of repair is alot when your just wanting to get back on the road, however these are not the engines we have in the family  grocery Getters, and there  longevity Dictates a certain process.66A3E909-5929-4313-BD61-15E8C5DE23DB.thumb.jpeg.0306061ae8a2cd5ad350de50e8734381.jpegA30338CE-3E2F-40E7-B282-52BD1EF635F4.thumb.jpeg.a86c08315b5bbb6fe1ab1db5016a2e19.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Ken, so it appears i have the info in my files in the coach, im heading there shortly an will read you the PN off my invoice. In the mean time i went to the cummins part catalog its saying for my ESN (46279317) the pn is a 3286293 which reading the supersession list is the Original that was installed, which has been superseded over 5 times to what is being shown is now a 3804927

So like i said i will go get whats writtin on my invoice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Mornin everybody, so earlier this summer one of the cooling system repairs was to replace my original water pump, i had used my “esn” to order the pump thru a truck shop. The one i recieved was so different looking i took it back to have them verify or to “recheck” there part, in case it was boxed wrong cause its such a pita to assemble. They came back an told me the original design had been updated soooo many times since the original was released, so i installed it and HUH! It was the right one. In the pictures the one on the right is the original, and i ordered mine thru a HD truck shop. Cause the amount of issues i had trying to get the correct tensioner thru napa was such a disaster, which i eventually quit them, cause they were getting pissy with me due to there special orders were all wrong.42072370-1791-4762-A65D-E1B9CCB3C2C5.thumb.jpeg.7ba07ab955b5a776a4b24582443ee793.jpeg2B3828C2-38ED-4A4C-90FE-ED79845651E8.thumb.jpeg.8d8e68805b5ecedf362a363091ef58d2.jpeg849D4A8B-979C-44E6-BF85-9DF356844886.thumb.jpeg.88027ab92124c777da142efaa6a82cf7.jpeg

Rik W, Tell me about pulling the radiator. Was it a time consuming project?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Kenneth, and others,

We are at a Loves here in Laramie, they found a pump at Freightliner (thanks to Rik's post and photos).  They are scheduling me into the shop in the morning.  I do not believe the radiator/intercooler/other radiators need to come out to get to the pump, but I'm not going to be doing the work..... I did not bring enough tools to be sure I would not come up one wrench or pry bar short.

I believe working thru the closet manhole, that the wire shroud can come loose (maybe a couple of bolts from underneath), rotate out of the way and then get to the tensioner, once the belt is off, remove the tensioner, get to the bolts on the water pump and R&R.  But, again that's my guess, and how I would try first before 'digging' my way in from the back.....

Yeah the radiator was not fun doing out in the sun, 100 degree days i started out just doing the radiator. However i figured while i was already there… t stat, w.pump, fan blades, rebuilt the alternator, new hoses, belt an tensioner then mounted two valves going toward the heater core so when that day comes around i can just turn off both an cut the water going to the heater. Its not that it was overly dificult, however there were many pieces that had to come off 1st, then go back on in the same order. The most difficult part was the new radiator was just enough different that “modifications” had to be made to the shroud in order for it to fit. The radiator was heavy enough that it took two guys to lift it in an out, it is soooo nice now when pulling a grade an the the temperature gauge shows so much cooler. If i had to get to the water pump i would remove the wire screen, then the tensioner then the water pump, not easy but theres not many options otherwise.

7F2003B3-963C-4886-9ED5-9D10292FBD56.jpeg

1EB955D2-A32C-40BC-B7D5-C2C19406FB28.jpeg

This thread is a great advertisement for Coach-Net Emergency Roadside Service. If you or anyone who runs the roads would have had Coach-Net, a simple phone call they would have dispatched a tow company with the proper sized tow truck to haul your coach to a proper repair facility which would replace your pump and hopefully they would have had one in stock. Or could have gotten one over-nighted to your location. Plus the good part is that the tow no matter how many miles they would have towed you to the repair facility would only cost you just a signature.