Is this a good buy? 2004 Dip

6Wheels

24 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Needs tires. 

Says entire wiring replaced due to lighting strike. Would be curious to know what the title status is. But yeah, it’s high priced. Punch in options you get to average retail of $58k 

JD, I don't believe that the coach has any options that would increase the price significantly over base. Most of the stuff came standard on the 04 Diplomat except for the King bed.

Plus it needs a new set of six tires as stated in the description.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

JD, I don't believe that the coach has any options that would increase the price significantly over base. Most of the stuff came standard on the 04 Diplomat except for the King bed.

Plus it needs a new set of six tires as stated in the description.

Ok, am I missing something on NADA where you enter the options? If you open it you select like full body paint, size generator etc

JD, you have to know what came standard on the coach and what was an added option that was included on top of the standard base price. NADA is confusing to use in that way. AFAIK the King Bed was a true option whereas generator, awnings, AC's & heaters, slide-outs, etc. are all standard equipment.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

JD, you have know what came standard on the coach and what was an added option that was included on top of the standard base price. NADA is confusing to use in that way. AFAIK the King Bed was a true option whereas generator, awnings, AC's & heaters, slide-outs, etc. are all standard equipment.

Thanks, then it’s very easy to dupe a bank into loaning more than it worth? If tell them it has these “options” that we know came with it but they most likely won’t know. 

sorry Way off topic now. 

2 hours ago, 6Wheels said:

2004 Diplomat 40PDQ for $80,000 in Irondale, Alabama

Diplomat 40PDQ RV for sale in Irondale, AL for $80,000 | 243968 (poprvs.com)

What things should I particularly need to check for?

Dang if I was in the mood to sell my 09 Knight. I’d sell $85k - $90k . Only 360 hp though.

12 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Even though NADA prices have increased (1st time in 20 years I’ve been using) my max price is Low Retail without adding any options.

I would dare say the less than Low Retail is probably a fair price for this coach but it still needs 6 new tires which will run on average another $4K-$5K. And that's not considering what else may need some attention.

15 hours ago, Ivylog said:

Even though NADA prices have increased (1st time in 20 years I’ve been using) my max price is Low Retail without adding any options.

Heck, NADA prices on pickups have been going up for several years.
My county has increased the value on my 2001 Ford Superduty Diesel several times. 😲

1 hour ago, dl_racing427 said:

Heck, NADA prices on pickups have been going up for several years.
My county has increased the value on my 2001 Ford Superduty Diesel several times. 😲

Yes, I could sell my 2017 Superduty with 40k on it for what I paid for it new 

8 minutes ago, JOHN McCLURE said:

Might find one cheaper, I have a '05 PDQ, that is my only home, very pleased with it. I am sure the most bang for the buck. Good advice, get oil analized, no particular reason, just good practice. Also pulls my G M C terrain no problem.

John McClure

I’ve pull Blackstone on my Superduty every oil change. It helps to show any wear on bearings and such. They have such a huge data base they can tell you what’s going on internally. Not sure it’s worth it to the next guy when I sell it, but it is peace of mind 

One thing that I have learned in life is IF YOU LIKE IT and can afford it BUY IT! I have followed this advice that I give freely. I made an offer on a property thinking that I was offering a fair price for it; Another person bought it paying full price. Every time my wife and I went by that home we said OMG what a mistake we made not offering the full price. Within 6 months the buyer put the home on the market at a higher price and we jumped and it was our for almost 20 years. I have purchased cars other properties, and yes 4 MH's because I or my wife remembered our one time mistake. we are not careless but if YOU have looked around and YOU know this is the one for you then buy it. Other people have no idea and place to much importance on GETTIMG A GOOD DEAL. The home I live in prime example the MH I drive another. There comes a time in life that having what is important to you trumps losing what you want.

Denny Wagaman

2011 Monaco Camelot DFT 43

• Like 1

you know what is actually a good buy? the only definition of a GOOD BY is the buyer. Sure one can pay more for a product than its worth (now) but if you plane to keep it time heals most if not all purchases that might be more than its worth in some one else's opinion. It's your opinion that matters most. 

As we all know our hobby generally speaking goes down and down in value. So are we trying to cover our losses when we first purchase our home on wheels..... who knows who cares when you get what you want and you are satisfied all around. Live life and buy what you can afford or don't buy what you can't afford. simple. 

Denny Wagaman

Guest Ray Davis
23 hours ago, Denny Wagaman said:

There comes a time in life that having what is important to you trumps losing what you want.

Denny Wagaman

So true,  you can't take it with you anyway.   

9 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

you can't take it with you anyway

Yea, but your kids could. I’m surprised how many 04 Dips are for sale with prices all over the place… from $48K to $90K with $64K my estimate of the average asking price.

Would be nice to hear from the OP and why with a 2013 Discovery he’s looking at a 04 Dip???!

Discovery is being used by my daughter's family as it is a bunk model.  We are looking for a part time couples coach.

The Discovery was very nice for full time living. 

No hurry to buy, as the market looks like toast in the near future so prices should plummet, but along with that the cost and difficulty (parts) of proper maintenance might not be worth it.  Just looking.

Denny,

BIG difference between the value of real estate Houses and RV Motorhomes. The former generally appreciates in value whereas the latter depreciates significantly.

No comparison whatsoever!

RV's are a "dime a dozen" and there are a plethora of them on the market in all shapes, sizes, conditions and prices.

Real estate homes are unique as you discovered. Depending on the market location today, it is a seller's market usually ending up in a bidding war increasing the price well over the asking price.

I always try to buy "smartly".

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1