Tank sensors

Chargerman

My coach had the original monitoring system tied into my Aladdin. Everything in the systems functions fine but my gray and black tank sensors do not read correctly. I realize I can replace the sensors and would like to do so but before I purchase them I was hoping to hear feedback from those that have replaced these if they were successful/pleased with the accuracy of the original style sensors after replacing them. 
I am aware of the Seelevel setup and am considering changing to that also but first desired option is to stay with the factory system if it can be reasonably accurate with new sensors

Guest rangerboat

Forget sensors and just empty tanks on a schedule. We have 40 gal gray and black tanks. I dump the black every Tuesday whether it needs it or not and I dump the gray tanks every other day. Sensors are something that works great for a while and then junk gets on them and is nearly impossible to remove unless you want to start the rig, run it down the highway agitating the inside tanks and then hopefully they clear. Dumping the tanks is a ten minute (at worst) job. Forget sensors.

Thanks Vito for the links. Does someone have/know when I can find the recalibration procedure?  I don’t think calibration is my issue but I will give it a try. When replacing I would imagine the new ones will needing calibration also?

Have not put in a clean out access and would not be in any rush to do it. Mine has a built in rinse sprayer. The sensors are easy to remove. Mine are screwed into the bottom of each tank. Not much to clean on them. Supposedly they are not affected by the type of matter in a tank but I can imagine if one had a poorly maintained tank where solids were able to dry out and bridge the sensor it would be affected. 

Edited by Chargerman

I never had a issue with my black tank.  Before traveling, I would drain, flush, and then put a couple gallons of fresh water in it.  While traveling the water would slosh around in the tank breaking up any solids that might have remained.  At my next stop that had a dump I would dump first and put another couple of gallons of water.  I was fortunate that my toilet was on the passenger side of the coach.  I would open up the toilet blade and run a hose down the opening to flush what was left in the bottom of the tank toward the opening.  I would then close the valve allowing a couple gallons of fresh water to cover the bottom of the tank so that any solids would not stick to the bottom.  You get the drift?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Has anyone put a cleanout access on the back of the black water tank? Open the access and wash the sensors with a stream of water. If so, could you post a photo of the access setup?

Gary 05 AMB DST

That's not a leak I want to experience!  I like the idea but ........

Thanks for posting the video Darren. I think I’m going to buy a new set of sensors to start fresh. I know my tanks are very clean so I’m going to go for it. 
thanks everyone for the info and responses

Gary

When I first got my coach I didn't realize at first my spray was doing nothing. I took it off the tank and it was caked solid removed cleaned it and tested it. It shoots a lot of water in all directions . Not sure how well it washes the walls it won't reach the whole length of the tank but for sure washes the bottom out well.  I also use a clear 45 degree connection between tank and sewer hose and besides now being able to hear it wash I can see it as well.

Roy

2003 dynasty

Chargerman, For what it is worth,do yourself a favor and spring for the SeeLevel's...I did on my 04 Diplomat about 9 years ago never to look back,I tell other RV friends,strangers met in campgrounds the best money I spent and only regret I have is I didn't do it 5 years earlier! They are very accurate when you check levels ,no more guessing like the factory installed" Some-Of -The-Time-Work" but rarely if ever accurate. You get a true reading 0-100% in 2-3% readings. I also had supplemental Remote Gauge installed in wet bay...love the ability to check tanks and monitor filling from outside with out trecking into Coach to check. Plus...Never had a single problem since installed. The other bennifit is they were able to remove original gauge from wall panel and cut new SeeLevel in same spot and looks factory. To me the best feature is all sensors are mounted on outside of tanks and read through tank for always accurate reading. Hope this helps and good luck with whatever system you decide on.

BruceE.Crocker

2004 Diplomat 40'PDQ

I use RV Digest-it in tanks and it keeps sensors clean, you never rinse tanks because you want to keep bacteria in tank to dissolve solids. Have been using this product over 10 years and never had a problem.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwirx9zv0rjzAhV8IK0GHSlvB88YABAIGgJwdg&ae=2&sig=AOD64_3iIuw0-1JEbhbj-1trkW1Ulz4dig&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiP-tXv0rjzAhXSIjQIHZolANYQ9A56BAgBEFk&adurl=

5 minutes ago, gjh2916 said:

I use RV Digest-it in tanks and it keeps sensors clean,

I don't think any of the Monaco diesels have had in tank sensors for many years, at least 2005 and later.  The Aladdin sensor which is in a pipe attached to the tank can go bad but is easily replaced.  The Tecma toilet sensors are external as well as any See Level sensors that some have gone to.

Bruce 

Im going to take a look at the Seelevel equipment before I order néw sensors. The thing I am hesitant to give up is my wet bay level display and also both my front and rear interior Aladdin displays are convenient. I guess the one in the wet bay and another inside would do the trick. Thanks for chiming in regarding your experience with Seelevel

Edited by Chargerman

I replaced both the gray and black tank sensors and removed and cleaned the fresh water tank sensor (I could see threw this tank so not as concerned about this one being accurate) on my 04 Navigator. Even after many recalibration attempts I could never get my gauges to read accurately for very long. Think I spent $50-60 per sensor. So my plan is to install the sea level system on this new coach. For not much more money than replacing all 3 sensors I'll have a system that works and is accurate. It will be more work to install of course. 

14 hours ago, Chargerman said:

Bruce 

Im going to take a look at the Seelevel equipment before I order néw sensors. The thing I am hesitant to give up is my wet bay level display and also both my front and rear interior Aladdin displays are convenient. I guess the one in the wet bay and another inside would do the trick. Thanks for chiming in regarding your experience with Seelevel

I put in the SeeLevel II sensor system a few weeks back.  The tough part was running wiring up to the panel location I chose inside the MH living area.  I got the bluetooth version for upstairs and a regular 'add-on' panel for inside the bay.  The latter panel fit in the opening of the Alladin bay display.  The bluetooth one is viewable inside and outside-near-by the coach.

When I got the coach a year+ ago I changed the Alladin pressure sensors in the tanks.  After re-calibrating I found their accuracy out-of-whack so I did the re-cal once again.  When the fresh tank reading went to zero I figured it might be cable, sensor or something else... but the time had come to order the SeeLevel-II.   Some day I'll work on the Aladdin again, just to have it working... but that's way down on the priority list.

18 hours ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Jim. my 05 Ambassador has tank sensors so I think the Endeavors do too. I've always had a problem them.

Gary 05 AMB DST

If I had tank probes I would install a SeeLevel.  I had them on a previous coach & it's a good system although it wasn't 100% trouble free.