Selling used tires

Guest bobstromain

Guest bobstromain

I will be getting a new set of Toyo M 144 tires next week.  How can I find a buyer for my 6 year old Michelins 295/80R22.5, and what are they worth?

Any comments on the Toyo tires appreciated

Bob St. Romain

Bob, I have had the Toyo's 295/80R/22.5 M144 on my Windsor for quite some time now. The steers have been there since mid-2017 and the rears since mid-2018.

I had Josam's install them and I've been happy with them ever since. The only difference between the Toyos' and the Michelin's is when the coach drifts to right a little too far the Michelin's would roll back up onto the pavement smoother than the Toyo's.

I had a blowout on a holiday weekend and the only replacement available was a Toyo.

When making a sharp turn chunks of rubber came out of the tread, and it had an odor made me sick (was installed next to the entrance door).  No idea if the Toyo brand had anything to do with it but it definitely turned me off to the brand and ever since I give all tires a "sniff test" before buying.

11 hours ago, Harvey Babb said:

I had a blowout on a holiday weekend and the only replacement available was a Toyo.

When making a sharp turn chunks of rubber came out of the tread, and it had an odor made me sick (was installed next to the entrance door).  No idea if the Toyo brand had anything to do with it but it definitely turned me off to the brand and ever since I give all tires a "sniff test" before buying.

I was worried about the often reported manure like smell because my wife can detect things that I can't... but our Toyos were made in Japan and passed her test. I read somewhere that it depends on place of manufacture.

22 hours ago, bobstromain said:

I will be getting a new set of Toyo M 144 tires next week.  How can I find a buyer for my 6 year old Michelins 295/80R22.5, and what are they worth?

Any comments on the Toyo tires appreciated

Bob St. Romain

I guess the short answer is “find someone who wants to buy them”!

I replaced mine about 2 years ago and tried to sell the old ones on Facebook. Nobody showed any interest. Then I lowered the price to FREE. Someone finally asked for them the day after I got the new tires and paid to dispose of the old ones…

I even offer them to someone I know who has an earth moving company/paving company, he said no thank you I do not use that size.

Cheers

Walter

At any tire store they will charge you a disposal fee and say they can't sell them because of liability issues but I'll bet one of the mechanics will 'dispose' them for cash.  Check with some local trucking or construction companies.  I sold my 6 Bridgestone 295's for $700 to a trucker through a friend and gave him $70 for selling them for me.  It was a win win for everyone.  I had Michelin 315's up front but because they were not the normal size most truckers use he couldn't sell them so I just let him have them.  The truckers were concerned about getting a flat and then not having a spare to replace it because of the 'odd' size.

I sold my old 10R-22.5's to a guy down the road who owns a landscape and excavation business. He used them on a trailer.

I upgraded to 11R-22.5's for the extra capacity, and they are the most common trailer tire size, so they should be easy to sell at my next replacement.
They should bring ~$100 each, or basically 25% of new price.