Victron (just wondering)

Grampy OG

Morning all,

Reading through my daily posts I see the Victron Invertors mentioned more and more. I am always on the lookout for items that may come up in the future. My '03 Executive has been humming along for 19 some odd years with a Xantrex 3000. I never dry camp, run standard wet cell deep charge batterie (4) and really just use the inverter to keep the fridge and all other A/C items up and running while traveling. I have crap loads of computer/wifi stuff so I like to keep them all up and running in in-between shore power hookups. I see the big relays mentioned also but I replace my whole 12 volt charging system this past fall with the Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charging Relays (ACRs) system and have never looked back. IT JUST WORKS. Chassis and House always charged perfectly. 

Is the Victron the new wassu way to go or is it more for solar/lithium and other more modern setups? Actually if my inverter was to pass out I thought I could probably do just fine with a 2000 watt replacement Xantrex. I know that most modern coaches have a Magnum and I do like the remote display on them. Pricing isn't too much different. I really am wondering though if the Victron is coming up because you folks are getting quite fancy with your aux power sources. 

Thanks,

Ken

Victron is popular with folks that are adding solar panels and lithium batteries.  Victron inverters integrate nicely with Victron solar charge controllers and lithium batteries.  

If you do not plan to add large solar panels (and even if you do), then a Magnum inverter is a great choice.  Magnum has repair facilities and parts available in most major cities.  

You actually have an older Trace Freedom inverter.  They were purchased by Xantrex.  Your old inverter is a nice piece but it does not produce pure sine power.  Pure sine power is cleaner and required for most electronics and even some refrigerators.  The issue I have with Xantrex is they are manufactured offshore and parts/repairs are difficult.  

Edited by vito.a

I was going down a similar rabbit trail in making the upgrade selections for my coach (2000 Windsor 32PB). I was near the point of replacing my older Trace/Xatrex with a newer one and then decided to go Victron for two reasons:

1. The price was actually lower

2. The way it handles 50amp split phase and how I plan to use LiFePO4 batteries with solar (everything talking with each other)

There are several great options out there and, in my opinion, so long as you stick with a quality brand, you will be in good shape. Going pure sine wave has advantages (efficiency being one of them).
I would look at what each option does and let that guide you while staying with a brand with a solid reputation for good performance in the field.

When I bought my Dynasty, I soon found out the old inverter was dying. So I replaced it with a Multiplus 3000.

An inverter is just an inverter- as long as it provides pure sign wave power.  We boondock a lot - so some of the items I rate highly you will go - so-what. (Also many other inverter brands have some of these same features).

The reasons I choose Victron:

Communications with the CCGX (now Cerbo). This puts all the electric into one easy to read screen. The battery monitor and solar, grid/generator and engine power sources all show up in an easy to read area. Helps me make sure I don’t wake up to dead batteries. And I know exactly what is happening to the batteries and why.

Power Boost - having the batteries help when I am on a 15a cord and use lots of 120v amps is very nice. 

Different incoming power amps. I can quickly and easily change a setting so it can be on a 7.5amp power source or 15amp 30amp or 50amp.  And I don’t have to worry about it drawing too much power over the cable or tripping the breaker.

Future Lithium batteries. My future happened sooner than I thought, but having full control over the charging profile is super great!

Reliability - I wanted a great product and not a cheap Chinese product that would die sooner rather than later.

Programability- there is a lot you can do with it to have it do something special. (Not that I have done it)

The real advantage I believe is the communications when you have other Victron items that also tie into the communications.

Edited by Rocketman3

I replaced my Xantrex Freedom about 2 years ago because after 5 years of faithful service it gave up the ghost. I looked into having it repaired and but the cost of shipping there and back to a service center was great enough That considering a new I/C was a consideration. I also was faced with changing my house batteries and had already decided to go LiFePO4 when that day came. The reason for the battery change had more to do with a desire to reduce weight and complexity. Two 100 Amp LFP batteries would produce the same amps of power as my four 6v wet cell LA batteries at less than half the weight. So I opted to go with and Aims 3k watt pure sine wave I/C. I hd/have no interest in adding solar as I boon dock rarely except for the occasional over night at a HH or Walmart while traveling. I also have an on board 8K diesel generator if needed. My OEM 2005 Safari Cheetah (similar to the Dynasty) was designed to work with the 2K Xantrex. Since I planned to make changes with modern electronics, residential fridge, etc. I opted to upgrade to pure sine inverter.

I think Victron makes very nice products and if you are thinking of installing solar because you boondock a lot going Victron all out makes it easier as all Victron components comunicate with each other and the BT capabilities all in one app are nice, especially If you spend a lot of time watching you electronics. Otherwise there are other options of equal or similar quality and functionality in the market. Some may be less expensive and some may simply be available when you need it. As an example, in my case I had planned to replace my old Xantrex with a new 3K pure sine Xantrex Freedom but at the time I needed it the Xantrex was back ordered more than 5 months.

1 hour ago, Rocketman3 said:

When I bought my Dynasty, I soon found out the old inverter was dying. So I replaced it with a Multiplus 3000.

An inverter is just an inverter- as long as it provides pure sign wave power.  We boondock a lot - so some of the items I rate highly you will go - so-what. (Also many other inverter brands have some of these same features).

The reasons I choose Victron:

Communications with the CCGX (now Cerbo). This puts all the electric into one easy to read screen. The battery monitor and solar, grid/generator and engine power sources all show up in an easy to read area. Helps me make sure I don’t wake up to dead batteries. And I know exactly what is happening to the batteries and why.

Power Boost - having the batteries help when I am on a 15a cord and use lots of 120v amps is very nice. 

Different incoming power amps. I can quickly and easily change a setting so it can be on a 7.5amp power source or 15amp 30amp or 50amp.  And I don’t have to worry about it drawing too much power over the cable or tripping the breaker.

Future Lithium batteries. My future happened sooner than I thought, but having full control over the charging profile is super great!

Reliability - I wanted a great product and not a cheap Chinese product that would die sooner rather than later.

Programability- there is a lot you can do with it to have it do something special. (Not that I have done it)

The real advantage I believe is the communications when you have other Victron items that also tie into the communications.

X2 here.

21 hours ago, Grampy OG said:

...I really am wondering though if the Victron is coming up because you folks are getting quite fancy with your aux power sources. 

Thanks,

Ken

Pretty much… 

For the purposes you described, none of the whiz-bang features will be used. 
Something to keep in mind is the amount of ancillary gear, re-engineering and massive re-wiring of the systems that are needed to take full advantage of those features. 
Inverters come in a dizzying array of features and configurations… A few will plug straight into your stock configuration and some will require a LOT of work in order to install and make use of the advanced capabilities. 
Cheers

Walter

On 3/31/2022 at 8:13 AM, Grampy OG said:

Morning all,

Reading through my daily posts I see the Victron Invertors mentioned more and more. I am always on the lookout for items that may come up in the future. My '03 Executive has been humming along for 19 some odd years with a Xantrex 3000. I never dry camp, run standard wet cell deep charge batterie (4) and really just use the inverter to keep the fridge and all other A/C items up and running while traveling. I have crap loads of computer/wifi stuff so I like to keep them all up and running in in-between shore power hookups. I see the big relays mentioned also but I replace my whole 12 volt charging system this past fall with the Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charging Relays (ACRs) system and have never looked back. IT JUST WORKS. Chassis and House always charged perfectly. 

Is the Victron the new wassu way to go or is it more for solar/lithium and other more modern setups? Actually if my inverter was to pass out I thought I could probably do just fine with a 2000 watt replacement Xantrex. I know that most modern coaches have a Magnum and I do like the remote display on them. Pricing isn't too much different. I really am wondering though if the Victron is coming up because you folks are getting quite fancy with your aux power sources. 

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,

I do see the Victron as a plus for many who are doing wholesale upgrades to their systems, especially Lithium batteries. The one thing I’ve yet to see is commentary either way on longevity. I’m not sure how long the Victron units are expected to last or how problem-free they are, but I’d want to hear positive things before jumping in. And, by the time I get around to a Lithium upgrade, who knows which new vendor will be the marketplace darling of the day.

That said, all technology marches forward. If you have the original RV-3000 inverter/charger vintage 2003-2005, you probably have the RC7/GS remote. If you needed to replace the inverter/charger, you’d have to find a unit compatible with your remote if you wanted a plug-and-play solution. I know that Xantrex changed things in the late-2000s to a new remote, a separate AGS (automatic generator start), and different cabling (RJ45 instead of RJ-11) on many models. If you find yourself in that situation, it makes sense to look at other brands before deciding since the scope and effort may be similar. Just my two cents based on personal experience…

21 hours ago, georgecederholm said:

Ken,

I do see the Victron as a plus for many who are doing wholesale upgrades to their systems, especially Lithium batteries. The one thing I’ve yet to see is commentary either way on longevity. I’m not sure how long the Victron units are expected to last or how problem-free they are, but I’d want to hear positive things before jumping in. And, by the time I get around to a Lithium upgrade, who knows which new vendor will be the marketplace darling of the day.

That said, all technology marches forward. If you have the original RV-3000 inverter/charger vintage 2003-2005, you probably have the RC7/GS remote. If you needed to replace the inverter/charger, you’d have to find a unit compatible with your remote if you wanted a plug-and-play solution. I know that Xantrex changed things in the late-2000s to a new remote, a separate AGS (automatic generator start), and different cabling (RJ45 instead of RJ-11) on many models. If you find yourself in that situation, it makes sense to look at other brands before deciding since the scope and effort may be similar. Just my two cents based on personal experience…

Thanks for your two cents George. It is always great to get fellow Monacoers opinions. 

Ken

On 4/1/2022 at 9:27 AM, georgecederholm said:

Ken,

Ken, can you please expound (maybe a fresh post) on your 12v charging upgrade with Blue Sea? What did you replace with what Blue Sea components? TIA
Don 

2003 Windsor, ISL 370

Ken,

I have also noticed the popularity of victron, and have also wondered why.  

From my observations, they don’t provide support, you have to get support from a reseller.

The inverters are physically larger than my current xantrex of the same capacity.   ( shouldn’t electronics get smaller with 20 years of innovation ).

They are still at the top of my list should

I ever replace the xantrax.  Their price, power boost feature, and the data they provide are the biggest advantages to me.  I have read they can be noisy, but not as noisy as some much more expensive ones.

Granville Barker

05 Dynasty

On 4/2/2022 at 9:34 AM, lindsey_27511 said:

Ken, can you please expound (maybe a fresh post) on your 12v charging upgrade with Blue Sea? What did you replace with what Blue Sea components? TIA
Don 

2003 Windsor, ISL 370

Don I tagged onto another Blue Sea post with some pictures. If you would like any better explanation or how I use it feel free to PM me. I certainly got a bunch of help from the folks here with the change over. 

https://www.monacoers.org/topic/4191-replaced-big-boy-with-bkue-sea-ml-acr/

Scroll down in the post and you will see my reply. 

Ken

On 4/4/2022 at 12:09 AM, JDCrow said:

Features, ease of use, easy to program, easy to add other components, great app to control it all. 

BC37430D-F32C-4EE7-B932-3A274339F085.jpeg

96CE0DA4-F02A-4491-827B-14673F21B864.jpeg

38DF6332-5590-4B7E-8FF7-FB9756D450B6.jpeg

Thanks for posting these pictures, how hard was it to hookup?  

Also, why did you go with the multiplus-ii?   Doesn’t it include a transfer switch and doesn't that complicate wiring?

Granville Barker

05 Dynasty

30 minutes ago, granvillebarker said:

Thanks for posting these pictures, how hard was it to hookup?  

Also, why did you go with the multiplus-ii?   Doesn’t it include a transfer switch and doesn't that complicate wiring?

Granville Barker

05 Dynasty

No it does not have a transfer switch.

Straight pass on shore/Gen and has boost assist when your plugged info 15 amps