TOAD Braking Systems

I'm looking for recommendations.  I need to purchase a TOAD braking system for my 2017 Ford Fiesta.  I would like a system that I would be able to install myself and be easily moved to another TOAD when needed.  My coach is a 2002 Monaco Signature 40 with a Blue Ox Tow bar.

Thanks,

JJ

John J

2002 Monaco Signature 40

We currently use the Brake Buddy Select towing our Ford Ranger. It is portable and with the electronic 4WD neutral engagement, the battery charging aspect is nice or at least peace of mind knowing that the electronics will not discharge the battery.

I chose the NSA READY BREAK, initial installation takes a few hours.  It can be moved to another vehicle, but the new vehicle would need the installation kit.  Just completed round trip California to Texas with  2009 K-1500 Silverado extended cab.

I had a hard time deciding which system to use.  I wanted to to buy the RVi-3 but read some things communications, tablet battery life and I was concerned about customer service.

If I was doing it again, I might go a different direction, but it works for now.

If Richard recommends RVi-3 you might look closer at it.

I used a Brake Buddy for years on my previous coach.  I pulled a 2004 Chevy Tahoe using a Roadmaster system.   It was a PIA.   When I bought the Dynasty it came with an Air Force One pre-installed.  So, I installed the AFO on my 2017 Escalade toad.   There's a cable that pulls the brake pedal and air and electric that goes thru the firewall to a control box under the hood.  The control box has an airline to the front of the toad.  To hook up, you connect an airline on the coach to the airline on the toad.  I really like it as there's nothing to put on or in the toad when hooking up.  Just hook up the air line, lighting cable, and breakaway wire.  The braking is proportional and there's a small wireless box inside the coach that gives an audible and visual notice when the toad brake is being applied.  Works great.  It takes about one second to hook up before and after a trip.  I installed it myself.  It's not really difficult, depending on your vehicle.   However, my Dynasty came with a Blue Ox tow bar/system and getting the base plates onto the Escalade was a bitch - not for the faint of heart.  I wouldn't do it again.   

15 minutes ago, Trinidaddave said:

I chose the NSA READY BREAK, initial installation takes a few hours.  It can be moved to another vehicle, but the new vehicle would need the installation kit.  Just completed round trip California to Texas with  2009 K-1500 Silverado extended cab.

I had a hard time deciding which system to use.  I wanted to to buy the RVi-3 but read some things communications, tablet battery life and I was concerned about customer service.

If I was doing it again, I might go a different direction, but it works for now.

If Richard recommends RVi-3 you might look closer at it.

That's what I have, except it took me a few hours just to figure out how to route the cables before I even got started.

I am another satisfied user of the RVI Brake. I've been using it for 5 years without a single complaint. For a while I had two vehicles I used as toads and it only took a couple of minutes to put it in either car. The only thing installed permanently in the Toad is a break-away switch and wire.

I "assume" your Sig has air brakes.  With that consideration, I would definitely recommend one of the systems that is fired directly off of the coach air brake system.  I have the Roadmaster Brakemaster system and it out performs anything else I have used.  I have used the NSA Ready Brake and a couple of the electrically activated systems.  Nothing has worked as well with true proportional braking than having an air cylinder directly pushing on the toads brake pedal.

Richard

15 years ago I made my own out of a 1.5” air cylinder I had for $20…mainly air line fittings and tubing. Takes 30 seconds to put the cord around the brake pedal and connect the air quick connection. Need to bleed the vacuum brake assist off or it will slide the tires the first couple times. Rubber bungee strap pulls it backDF53CCE5-5D93-4947-B550-D5F7C200F29F.thumb.jpeg.9b2c640740d22e62ea71cb3b1b740ecc.jpeg

Wow! Thanks for all the advice from you all !

After doing a lot of studying of your advice and reading up on the various systems, I am hoping to find a used RVIBrake 2 or a buy a new RVI 3Brake system. That seems to be the easiest system from an installation standpoint.  My coach does have an air connection in the hitch area similar to the one used in the Brakemaster system. I haven't checked to see if it is actually hooked up to the air brakes.   However my toad is a very small Ford Fiesta.  Finding a place to install the the components of the Brakemaster under the hood would be a nightmare. 

Thanks Again.

JJ.

2002 Monaco Signature

Since you already have the air connection at the back of your coach, you should check to see if you already have the reservoir, etc on the coach required for the Air Force One like mine did.  After connecting the permanent cable to the brake pedal, the control box under the hood and routing the wire and small airline, the installation is done on the toad.  It's not difficult.  I'm 76 and I did it last summer on two different vehicles (2004 Tahoe and 2017 Escalade).  I also purchased the a second vehicle kit at etrailer.  You won't need to lug around a box that must be installed and uninstalled on the floorboard every single time.  To hookup, plug the airline and breakaway cable between the coach and toad.  Takes a couple seconds.  I used the Brake Buddy (similar to the RVI Brake) for more than 20 years.  It's easy to use - but a PIA.  And, you still must route and mount the breakaway cable.  No comparison to the AFO.   M&G also makes a system that's proportional and easier to use than RVI Brake.  Just IMO - but I've been flat towing behind a diesel pusher more than 20 years.  You can keep those boxes that must be connected and disconnected to your brake pedal - time after time.

There is no Way that the M&G Aux Brake System is easier to use than the RVi2 or 3 Aux Brake System. Every one has a different opinion about what, why and how they use the Aux Brake System they select to install in their toad and unless you have tried them all it would be very difficult to ascertain which is the best or easier other than the reviews posted by others. The M&G system may be just as simple after it has been permanently installed.

I have used four Aux Brake Systems in my Coaches and M&G being one of them and from experience it is not any easier than the RVi system. The M&G System has to be installed permanently in your Toad and the going Labor rate is between $1200 to $1600 bucks and you cannot move it to enother vehicle without removing and installing it from one vehicle to another. To Move the M&G system from One vehicle to another will cost you about $2300 to $2500 bucks. Nothing wrong with this method if you like to spend your money. The M&G system is a good system if you want a permanent system.

The RVi 3 System is Small,Light and portable and can be moved from one vehicle to another and can be set up in less than three minutes. Just like all Aux Brake Systems you will have to have a Emergency Break Away installed in each vehicle. It is a very good system if you trade up every few years.

• Like 2

Guest Ray Davis

If it's working properly any toad brake system is better than none.  Working properly is why I still use my Brake Master by Roadmaster.  The Brake Master is about as simple as any out there.  It is essentially the same thing that Dick ( Ivylog ) built.  Mine just keeps on working.  I have moved it over to several tow vehicles over the yrs.

I do have to attach it to the brake pedal in my toad, simple & quick.  This is what it looks like.  Roadmaster 9100 Brakemaster Towed Car Braking System

Regarding the break away, one should know that a small reservoir / air tank must be incorporated into the installation on the toad to supply air for stopping the toad      in the event of a break away. I imagine one is needed on all air brake systems. It is an extra kit on Brakemasters 

3 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

If it's working properly any toad brake system is better than none.  Working properly is why I still use my Brake Master by Roadmaster.  The Brake Master is about as simple as any out there.  It is essentially the same thing that Dick ( Ivylog ) built.  Mine just keeps on working.  I have moved it over to several tow vehicles over the yrs.

I do have to attach it to the brake pedal in my toad, simple & quick.  This is what it looks like.  Roadmaster 9100 Brakemaster Towed Car Braking System

Regarding the break away, one should know that a small reservoir / air tank must be incorporated into the installation on the toad to supply air for stopping the toad      in the event of a break away. I imagine one is needed on all air brake systems. It is an extra kit on Brakemasters 

X2 on the Brakemaster

When I bought my 2002 Windsor it looked like the PO had a Brakemaster system so I went ahead and bought one and installed it on my Jeep along with the Blue ox system.  I did have to modify my brake pedal as there was no way I could get the clamshell type attachment that came with the brakemaster to work, I even contacted brakemaster and they sent me a larger one that still would not fit, so I had a piece of diamond plate that I mounted on the brakepedal after removing the rubber boot.

I can remove or install the air cylinder in a matter of minutes.  I also installed a brake light indicator in my dash so I know the system is working. 

I just had another look at my coach and it must have had a Brakemaster system once upon a time as there is an air hookup at the hitch and I think there may even be an indicator light on the dash.  However, the Ford Fiesta TOAD is the big barrier for that system...No room under hood for the break away cylinder.   Might be able to mount it under the drivers seat...but it would be a job!  I have to many other projects going as we try to get ready for our departure on June 1st.  So its looking like a RVIBrake or a Patriot3.  Wish I could find a good pre-owned one.

4 hours ago, David Pratt said:

There is no Way that the M&G Aux Brake System is easier to use than the RVi2 or 3 Aux Brake System. Every one has a different opinion about what, why and how they use the Aux Brake System they select to install in their toad and unless you have tried them all it would be very difficult to ascertain which is the best or easier other than the reviews posted by others. The M&G system may be just as simple after it has been permanently installed.

I have used four Aux Brake Systems in my Coaches and M&G being one of them and from experience it is not any easier than the RVi system. The M&G System has to be installed permanently in your Toad and the going Labor rate is between $1200 to $1600 bucks and you cannot move it to enother vehicle without removing and installing it from one vehicle to another. To Move the M&G system from One vehicle to another will cost you about $2300 to $2500 bucks. Nothing wrong with this method if you like to spend your money. The M&G system is a good system if you want a permanent system.

The RVi 3 System is Small,Light and portable and can be moved from one vehicle to another and can be set up in less than three minutes. Just like all Aux Brake Systems you will have to have a Emergency Break Away installed in each vehicle. It is a very good system if you trade up every few years.

Well, do you also move the breakaway and towbar baseplates quickly between the various vehicles you use the RVi with?  I don't understand the logic.  I use two different toad vehicles also.  The AFO is not more difficult to switch between vehicles than getting down on your knees and hooking up a plunger to the brake pedal, connecting the wiring and breakaway, etc.  And, I don't need to deal with that extra piece of equipment.  Surely you noticed the better braking with the truly proportional systems connected directly to your coach aibrakes instead of the floorboard box.  Personally, I don't want to use a braking system designed to be temporary.  I can park my coach, unplug the airline, disconnect the breakaway, push a button to put the Tahoe or Escalade into gear and drive away - all in the time you'll still be getting your RVi disconnected from your brake pedal, disconnected from the vehicle and stored in one of your bays or stashed banging around in the back of your SUV.  The braking system, for me, is a one-time investment in a vehicle I specifically purchased to be towed.  Back when I wasn't sure I was going to keep the toad, I used a Remco system on the transmission and a crappy Brake Buddy braking system. 

6 minutes ago, jjroxus said:

I just had another look at my coach and it must have had a Brakemaster system once upon a time as there is an air hookup at the hitch and I think there may even be an indicator light on the dash.  However, the Ford Fiesta TOAD is the big barrier for that system...No room under hood for the break away cylinder.   Might be able to mount it under the drivers seat...but it would be a job!  I have to many other projects going as we try to get ready for our departure on June 1st.  So its looking like a RVIBrake or a Patriot3.  Wish I could find a good pre-owned one.

I've got a Brake Buddy I can sell you.

I have a 2005 Jeep GC with the 5.7 Hemi.  There was no room under the hood to mount the break away tank

I ended mounting it in front of the radiator, low, mostly protected by the front bumper.  I did a black plastic shield in front to the top of it to protect it and hide it,  Really can't even see it. 

It did take me some time to mount the base plate and brakemaster system but well worth it.  The system works great. 

Everyone has their own opinions and personal preferences on what Auxiliary Brake System they want to purchase and use in their toad. Everyone's opinion and reviews are welcomed so everyone gets educated on the different systems that are available, how they work, how they must be installed and make their own decision's from the info that is posted.

Anyone who is going to purchase a Aux Braking System should do a thorough research of any product and be able to make a purchase of a system they are comfortable with using.

This FORUM is not a Debate Forum, but a place to get and share info and get help when needed. If you use an AFO, M&G, ROADMASTER, RVi or any other system that is your personnel preference. Share you experience with what ever System you have with the group and let them decide.

I will not advocate which system is any better than another, that is up to the individual who will ultimately purchase a system based on their own  preference. It does not matter what system you have installed in your toad, just have one and be safe.

• Like 1

If one plans to use multiple vehicles to tow behind their coach, it is a heck of a lot easier to install just a Breakaway in each of the vehicles when using the RVI-Brake-3 then any of the air systems. The RVIBrake-3 is so compact it was a no-brainer for me.

I actually started with a used RVIBrake-2 but when a used RVIBrake-3 became available I jumped on it then sold the RVIBrake-2 on Craigslist in a day or two.

In fact, they now sell a Breakaway system where you don't have to snake the cabling through the engine compartment through the firewall into the driver's area if you have the RVIBrake-3 system. You simply plug the Breakaway into a remote transmitter that is mounted in the engine compartment which sends the Wi-Fi signal to the brake system.

Breakaway Wireless Adapter for RVibrake3

On 5/5/2022 at 12:14 PM, David Pratt said:

The M&G System has to be installed permanently in your Toad and the going Labor rate is between $1200 to $1600 bucks and you cannot move it to enother vehicle without removing and installing it from one vehicle to another. To Move the M&G system from One vehicle to another will cost you about $2300 to $2500 bucks. Nothing wrong with this method if you like to spend your money. The M&G system is a good system if you want a permanent system.

I am not arguing that for a portable system the M&G is a player, but it is a tremendous braking system, easy to hook up, proportional, has an indicator light, and a breakaway, but is certainly not portable.  But your estimate of cost is way off, at least for the moving the system to another vehicle.  I had a M&G braking system installed by M&G in my new 2014 Ram 1500 in Dec of 2013 for a total of $1253, then when I got a new 2019 Ram 1500 they applied a previous customer discount and installed a new braking system again at M&G for $600. 

You left out the cost of the new system in your remarks. If you have to have the old system removed from your old TOAD and installed in your New Toad,the cost at the current labor rate is what I quoted in my post.

So if you were able to get your NEW System installed in your new Toad for the discount labor price of $600 in 2019 to have your new M&G System installed you have to add in the cost of the new system. You are not comparing Oranges to Oranges.

There is no new info that supports the original post so I am asking that this thread be closed.