Blower Head Gasket

Guest timkuhler

I have a 2008 HR with  Cummings isl 400 with a blower head gasket that I need to get to Cummings in San Antonio Tx which is about 70 miles.  Have any of you used K Seal to seal the gasket to avoid have to have it towed?

Thanks

Are you talking about the turbocharger gasket, the exhaust manifold gasket, or the engine cylinder head gasket?

With the turbo or exhaust manifold you can probably drive it a short distance.  I would use low throttle settings.

If you are talking about the cylinder head, that depends.  If it's leaking coolant into the oil then I would not even start it.  If it leaking cylinder pressure to the outside then maybe.  If it's leaking cylinder pressure into the coolant passage then probably not.  

• Like 3

If it is the Turbo gasket it is relatively easy to change.  4 bolts hold the turbo to the exhaust manifold mounting plate. 

I looked up the turbo gasket part on the Cummins Quickserve site for my rig, it's a $7 part.  https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/s/product/a2w4N000003sHV5QAM/cummins-turbocharger-gasket-3901356

If it is not leaking too bad you can probably drive.

If it were me I'd change it myself. 

• Like 1

OK, different animal!

Can't make a call on that. 

Putting air into the cooling system is better then coolant into the oil but still not good.  If I were to try I'd loosen the cap on the surge tank to prevent too much pressure build up but still a risk. 

How long have you driven it since you found the problem.

There is no way to seal a head gasket from the outside (none that I have ever heard of). Is it possible to get Cummins road service to do the repairs on site? It's a big job, just a suggestion. Best of luck.

I have used head gasket sealers on a small number of vehicles as a temporary meassure until the correct repair can be made. An owner of a big flatbed diesel farm truck Ford still runs it years later because he could not justify the repair cost. Since it all gets mostly flushed out anyway, I would consider it against the towing cost. Not my call to make and not a recommendation, just an observation that these things can work.

Guest Ray Davis
20 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Ouch!!

Really!!!!   I wonder what the repair costs will be?    I'm not sure Cummins is where I would go though.

Can you rent a wrecker?  LOL 

The place where I get my inspections is a wrecker service too.  They have 3 big wreckers to the tune of close to a million each.  The newest  has a rotating hoist so when they can't get perpendicular to the road it can rotate and cable a vehicle up to the roadway.  They are beautiful machines. 

Funny story,  I was talking to a really young guy at the same place who I actually thought was one of the several flunkies they had running around. I asked him who owns this place,  His answer was "I do, well me and the man on the handy cap scooter, that is my dad, he still comes in now and then".   I was impressed that he was willing to stop long enough to talk to an old guy. I obviously was not bringing in one of the many 18 wheelers, schools buses, or dump trucks ( money jobs )    A nice young man

I would do what Ivan suggested and see if a mobile mechanic can repair. I am not a fan of stop leaks. Taking a chance of driving it in May cause more damage which means more expense. If no mobile, Try finding a reputable diesel repair shop and ask them for a tow. Hopefully that is cheaper. One thing to consider is the possibility of a warped head which require milling it out. Wish you the best. 

When we broke down in San Antonio the 8 mile tow to a Cummins dealer was going to cost $800.00.  Then no telling how much the repair was going to cost. I could hear the cash register ringing in my ears.  Ended up calling a mobile mechanic.  Our air dryer had tanked and he was able to get me back on the road in about an hour and a half.  $200.00  Give this guy a call maybe he can help.  Ray Ray's Mobile Mechanic Service.  210-913-0952. He works mostly on big rigs, but does alot of MH repair also.  I highly recommend Ray. Hope this helps. God Bless Ed & Sylvia

Remove the radiator cap and start it up to see how bad it is.  

Find a repair shop a lot closer.  Think about driving very late at night or very early. Have a friend follow you.  

Take lots of distilled water with you.  

I would pass on the K Seal.  

On 5/5/2022 at 9:24 AM, Ray Davis said:

Really!!!!   I wonder what the repair costs will be?    I'm not sure Cummins is where I would go though.

Can you rent a wrecker?  LOL 

Ray, did you think $3,000 bought him the wrecker 😁?

Guest Ray Davis
2 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Ray, did you think $3,000 bought him the wrecker 😁?

It didn't