Well 22 years and microwave finally died

RVSSNAKE
Go to solution Solved by grizzly,

Well after 22 years of use the convection/microwave finally died. I have practically taken the thing completely apart and was hoping to find a blown fuse but can’t find a fuse anywhere . Before I chuck thing does anyone have any suggestions. I have already checked and tested the outlet. Not the problem. So, if replacement is the only option what have you changed to and why? We liked the convection option.

Many long discussions on the old site.  Might search here as well.  If you Google Sharp Convection Microwave Repair, you get enough videos and such to keep you “entertained”. I would also suggest adding IRV2 to the Google search after you look at what you get.

The GE was the one that many chose….and many went back with Sharp.  You probably already know that there was a defective fan switch or something but the control panel would work.  My limited experience, fixing a GE, is that the power supply usually has replaceable fuses and if you follow or find the right video, assuming you are conversant with a VOM and recognize that you have to “short out” or bleed dissipate the high voltage capacitor…..then you should be able to do some trouble shooting.  Not knowing your area, there are, in .Raleigh, at least one “commercial microwave” repair shop.  The .convection, due to cost, is in that class…

The Sharp, and I assume you found the “3rd” mounting screw seemed to be the choice as some were afraid that the constant vibration was not “factored into the GE mounting design”.  Again, Google and read.

I would offer, if you think you have it solved, a suggestion….be a big spender and put in the (typical) two main power fuses and a NEW capacitor…..buy the OEM Sharp parts.  I did that on my Daughter’s GE and it has been working every since.  NOW…I made a mistake.  If the microwave is “dead” as in NO lighted control panel, you have to leave it unplugged and go through a “restart” sequence…which you should be able to easily find.  After I installed the new parts, I had to do that…. My daughter said….it made a noise or flashed and quit.  I actually have a meter and tested the new capacitor and the old….and found very little difference, but it worked and I spent less than $50.  You should also be able to purchase the boards or modules….like the power supply.  

Good luck….keep us updated…

I replaced mine with the Sharp® R1874T 1.1 Cu Ft Over-The-Range Microwave, Stainless Steel. It probably could have hung from the same bracket but on of the screws was stripped. Since it came with a mounting plate I replaced that also. I did it myself but would hi g hey recommend having help to lift it onto the mounting plate.

Tony

1998 Monaco Dynasty

I worked on microwave ovens for years. Most all have a 20A 250V fuse inside the cover you can look for that but be sure to replace with the same type and rating.
That being said at 22 years you might want to update it the new ones are lighter and may have more features.

Replacing the old Sharp with a new model Sharp 1874T will be the easiest as it mounts to the very same back wall bracket. When changing brands and models, you have to look closely at how it will be mounted as MOST over the range microwaves have mounting bolts that come from the top which won't work in most of our Monaco coaches.

Also. when removing the old one, there are two hidden screws that need to be removed on each side. If you look up through each grease screen area you will see them and are a Robertson Screw Head.

If you're handy microwave parts (convection or microwave alone) are relatively inexpensive (except for the magnetron) compared to replacing the entire unit. 

Ours was completely dead when we bought our first coach.  $15 control board was a lot cheaper than a $500 replacement (with the same bells & whistles).

- bob

I did finally find a fuse and yes it was blown, it was hidden in plain sight so to speak. 

It wasn't visible but the mount was.

I replaced it. It lit up and when I tried to run it for 15 seconds it lasted about a second and blew again.

So with it being 22 years old many of the plastic tabs that held various parts on the from had broken off, two of the screw holes that held the circuit board on just disintegrated, I made the executive decision I was not putting more money into it just to have another part fail in a few months or plastic parts rattle and fall off and disposed it(properly of course).

In the interim we will use a regular microwave and an air fryer that we already have and be just fine until I want to spend $500 on a new one.

Thanks everyone for your input.

4 hours ago, RVSSNAKE said:

I did finally find a fuse and yes it was blown, it was hidden in plain sight so to speak. 

It wasn't visible but the mount was.

I replaced it. It lit up and when I tried to run it for 15 seconds it lasted about a second and blew again.

So with it being 22 years old many of the plastic tabs that held various parts on the from had broken off, two of the screw holes that held the circuit board on just disintegrated, I made the executive decision I was not putting more money into it just to have another part fail in a few months or plastic parts rattle and fall off and disposed it(properly of course).

In the interim we will use a regular microwave and an air fryer that we already have and be just fine until I want to spend $500 on a new one.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Give it a good burial.  At least YOU used the Convection feature.  My DW, an Honor Home Economics major, refuses to "experiment" and if I want a cake, instead of baking it....go buy the sucker...

LOL...after 57 years...we still coexist....peacefully most of the time...

59 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Give it a good burial.  At least YOU used the Convection feature.  My DW, an Honor Home Economics major, refuses to "experiment" and if I want a cake, instead of baking it....go buy the sucker...

LOL...after 57 years...we still coexist....peacefully most of the time...

Mine started with baby steps with some wompum biscuits first then some pizza rolls. Once they came out good that was it she was on her way. 

19 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I tried using the convention portion of the microwave once and discovered that the amount of heat it gave off while running was totally unacceptable so we never use it in that mode.

Hmmm,  I haven't tried any warmer, but have no issue getting 375deg out of mine.

My unit toasted in my 2000 Dynasty. I was in the LA area and found a scratch and dent warehouse in the valley that bought damaged shipments from both Lowe's, Home Depot and Amazon. Drove down and found a new old stock unit in a shredded box, tore it out of the box, bent in slightly on both sides  Gave the fellow 300 bucks and also got the factory warranty, perfectly fit replacement and happily smiling again 

look around the units are still out there 

Viper04

28 minutes ago, Viper04 said:

My unit toasted in my 2000 Dynasty. I was in the LA area and found a scratch and dent warehouse in the valley that bought damaged shipments from both Lowe's, Home Depot and Amazon. Drove down and found a new old stock unit in a shredded box, tore it out of the box, bent in slightly on both sides  Gave the fellow 300 bucks and also got the factory warranty, perfectly fit replacement and happily smiling again 

look around the units are still out there 

Viper04

Good idea, thanks.

• 9 months later...

Going to replace the original over the range convection microwave. I measured it before I left the coach and of course wrote it on a piece of paper and of course the paper is no where to be found.

Ivan or anyone else with a 99 /2000 Signature if you could be so kind to send me measurements, I never did do a thorough inspection of the old one, wall mounted or up through the cupboard? Going to go with ducted model.

Thanks 

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

16 minutes ago, WayneC said:

Going to replace the original over the range convection microwave. I measured it before I left the coach and of course wrote it on a piece of paper and of course the paper is no where to be found.

Ivan or anyone else with a 99 /2000 Signature if you could be so kind to send me measurements, I never did do a thorough inspection of the old one, wall mounted or up through the cupboard? Going to go with ducted model.

Thanks 

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

If it was a Sharp R1870 these should be the dimensions. Outside Dimensions: 29 15/16” (W) x 16 11/32” (H) x 15 9/32” (D)

4 minutes ago, RVSSNAKE said:

If it was a Sharp R1870 these should be the dimensions. Outside Dimensions: 29 15/16” (W) x 16 11/32” (H) x 15 9/32” (D)

It is actually a GE, I was reading all the old posts this morning and seen all the info on Sharp and Samsung but not sure if they are the same, mad at myself for losing measurements, thanks for the quick response John

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

10 minutes ago, grizzly said:

We bought a GE Advantium 120 profile when we first got our coach to replace the original unit. We love it. It fit in perfect

Fantastic, I will check it out,I have been shopping around and going to make sure we get what we want

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

On 6/13/2022 at 4:23 PM, Dr4Film said:

I tried using the convention portion of the microwave once and discovered that the amount of heat it gave off while running was totally unacceptable so we never use it in that mode.

You must live in a different climate than I do. I consider that a "feature", not a bug. lol.