Best House Replacement Battery brands and opinions

Lolo1034

Hi all,

what are you all using for Rv batteries? I am needing to purchase 4 for the house side.  Can anyone recommend what they purchased and a decent price? I don’t care for the Lead acid kind, the cables corroded too easy.  Any help is appreciated!

Lolo

2006 Monaco Cayman

AGM Discover and got them at a continental battery dealer. They were about 600 each and worth it! I have the taller batteries and can’t remember the series, but go AGM and bite the bullet. Lead acid just don’t last in the juice suckers.

Many of us old “buggy whip guys” swear by Trojan.T105.  I have had many well versed electrical techs say the same thing.  When a customer brought in a fully depleted set of batteries.  The shops, one was Lazy Days, would suggest refilling and recharging…which they did. If they were the OEM Interstate, then they would say…NEW.  If the customer paid for a recharge, odds are, 80% of the time the customer came back for a bank of Trojans.  That is straight from a SR. Tech that worked for LD for 15 years and had a good reputation from some folks that knew about him and we trusted. He went to work locally for a buddy that was an HR GM and I got to know him.  Many of us have got 8+ years out of them, but we are meticulous in electrolyte level and exercise or run them down for 2 or 3 cycles every 4 x 6 months.  That is because we are not boon dockers and do that every month or so.  If you elect to go Wet Cell and choose the Trojans….you will bet, properly cared for, long life.  Not so much for Interstate.  My OEM, and I bought it new, batteries, Interstate, lasted maybe 4 years….and two of the four were TRASH.  One had a shorted cell…and the other had a cell that failed, but did not short out.

Last time I checked on the local price for a poster, a set or back of 4 would be less than $700.  Or, with tax, under $750 out of pocket plus you cores. Most folks with experience also change out the incandescent bulbs to reduce consumption and if they have a Res Refrigerator, turn off the ice and use the energy saver mode why dry camping.  We also put power strips on our home entertainment centers and turn off the power as standby will suck up a lot of juice.  We easily, with a 4 bank unit and a short daily recharge  have no issues  

that assumes you want the stock  size which will fit into the OEM space.  Trojan makes a HUNK battery that delivers about 25% more juice.  But it is the much taller one.  It typically requires mods like yanking out the battery tray and the  lugging in a 90+ pound monster and then you have to thread your head (dangerous) inside the bay to do maintenance.  They are about 60% more….so the small increase in capacity comes at a still price.

I am on my second set of Trajans or three banks total.  I have camped or used the MH heavily, not full timing, and have over 700 nights out.  67K on the clock,  so I expect 3 more years….and if you take out the OEM’s I’m happy….

There are other members that prefer AGM.  The caveat is that you need to ensure that the charging profile is set up properly as you can fry an AGM by abusive charging or the wrong inverter/charger setup.  Many opt for the lower price AGM from Costco or Sam’s.  Typically more than. I believe now, $200 each.  Life expectancy varies….  If I were going that route, again Trojans….

Hope this helps,

• Like 1

I agree with Tom.  I would like to have installed lithium, but I'm not sure they are ready for the AZ heat.  I purchased four Trojan T-105 batteries from our local golf cart store.  They were $129 each.  I check the water periodically and they work great.   

I previously had NAPA GC2 golf cart batteries, but they didn't last well.  

• Like 1

The original batteries in my 2002 coach had to be changed out in 2010, so 8 years. 

So in 2010 I bought a set of flooded from Sam's Club, they had a good price at the time.  so last year as I was getting ready to travel and started looking hoping to buy a set of AGM's from Sam's but they did not have in stock.  I tested my batteries with a hydrometer and volts and they all tested good.  So I decided to take the trip and one of them crashed.  The inverter panel started to flash so the first thing I tested was the batteries and found a bad one.   By chance I was in the parking lot of a Sam's Club in Rapid City SD and they had a set of the flooded batteries so I just went ahead and replaced them with the same.   The young attendant in the auto shop even installed them for me while I watched.  He'd never done a bank of 4 batteries before so I walked him through it.  Hope I get 10 years out of these. 

I do inspect the batteries monthly and add distilled water as needed.  I also put PowerPulse on the bank years ago, don't know if it contributed to the longer life but can't hurt. 

15 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

The original batteries in my 2002 coach had to be changed out in 2010, so 8 years. 

So in 2010 I bought a set of flooded from Sam's Club, they had a good price at the time.  so last year as I was getting ready to travel and started looking hoping to buy a set of AGM's from Sam's but they did not have in stock.  I tested my batteries with a hydrometer and volts and they all tested good.  So I decided to take the trip and one of them crashed.  The inverter panel started to flash so the first thing I tested was the batteries and found a bad one.   By chance I was in the parking lot of a Sam's Club in Rapid City SD and they had a set of the flooded batteries so I just went ahead and replaced them with the same.   The young attendant in the auto shop even installed them for me while I watched.  He'd never done a bank of 4 batteries before so I walked him through it.  Hope I get 10 years out of these. 

I do inspect the batteries monthly and add distilled water as needed.  I also put PowerPulse on the bank years ago, don't know if it contributed to the longer life but can't hurt. 

Well said.  I run the desulfurization Pulse units.  I was 100% sold on them, but there was a lot of discussion.  I still use them and whenever we travel, I have battery tenders on the ATS and the C7 Vette.  At least if we are going to be gone for a week or more. They are combo units and desulfonate.  Have 6 years out of each and still starts like new.

One of the best things, was from a testimonial from Frank M, on the battery Miser caps.  Other very knowledgeable folks have them and a buddy, that was a “battery maintenance chief” on a submarine, looked at them and ordered a set and has touted them for all his GC buddies (think trophy “carts” instead of wives) in a gated community in the Villages.

I didn't realize it would be so difficult for a 4 pack, but I want to get the right kind.  When I bought the rig 2 years ago it came with interstate GC2 Deep cycle extreme.  The water in them was almost all depleted, I'm surprised I got 2 years with them,  I've kept them on a trickle when parked.  I have a Magnum inverter, so are you all saying that I have to get a specific type that my inverter is compatible with? 

Well I’ve only owned my coach about a year now so I can’t say what is the best battery to have, the previous owner of our coach installed 4 6 volt AGM batteries in 2014, they seem to still be going strong, I don’t know how long they will last so I can say that they are the best. One thing I asked the previous owner was why he switched over to AGM, he said the battery tray was a mess with corrosion on the cables and tray and the compartment needed to be cleaned and repainted. I don’t know if that warrants the coast of AGM batteries or not but the battery compartment is still clean with no corrosion on the batteries or the tray, now maybe if a flooded battery is maintained to perfection this will not happen, I don’t know.

I believe I will stay with the AGM’s when it’s time to replace, it will be interesting to see how long they last!

By the sounds of your post you’re tired of the corrosion of lead acid batteries.

Edited by Jdw12345
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lolo1034 said:

I didn't realize it would be so difficult for a 4 pack, but I want to get the right kind.  When I bought the rig 2 years ago it came with interstate GC2 Deep cycle extreme.  The water in them was almost all depleted, I'm surprised I got 2 years with them,  I've kept them on a trickle when parked.  I have a Magnum inverter, so are you all saying that I have to get a specific type that my inverter is compatible with? 

NOPE.  But you DO need to understand how to set up the magnum for optimal battery life and performance.  Read the manual on it.  Call magnum.  You have three different set up buttons.  One is for SHORE.  That is what the main panel breaker is for the inverter/Magnum.  Set it to 30 amps…. The main set up has 8 or 9 different categories or parameters. I choose to disable the first one….the search…I know of no practical need for it.  The charging rate based on the age of your rig is up to you.  I choose 80% as I don’t want to overload it.  The cell type is FLOODED…or WET.  There are other options for AGM and whatever.  Depending on the remote….your bank is a 450 Amp Hours. The LOW AC cutoff should be 105,VAC, but I can’t remember it Magnum goes that high.  The Low Battery Cut Off is, my opinion, 11.8 or .9.  Some folks like it higher.  11.8 will not harm the batteries and let you still crank the Genny.  The AGS, UNLESS you are well versed should be OFF.  LEARN AND READ about it before you use it.  Can’t remember the rest and these are the biggies….magnum WILL help.  Write them down..

10 minutes ago, Jdw12345 said:

Well I’ve only owned my coach about a year now so I can’t say what is the best battery to have, the previous owner of our coach installed 4 6 volt AGM batteries in 2014, they seem to still be going strong, I don’t know how long they will last so I can say that they are the best. One thing I asked the previous owner was why he switched over to AGM, he said the battery tray was a mess with corrosion on the cables and tray and the compartment needed to be cleaned and repainted. I don’t know if that warrants the coast of AGM batteries or not but the battery compartment is still clean with no corrosion on the batteries or the tray, now maybe if a flooded battery is maintained to perfection this will not happen, I don’t know.

I believe I will stay with the AGM’s when it’s time to replace, it will be interesting to see how long they last!

Buy the sounds of your post you’re tired of the corrosion of lead acid batteries.

Some like Ford….other Chevy.  My battery box was a mess.  I overfilled them out of ignorance.  I know better now.  I cleaned and wire brushed it.  I painted and sealed it. I used the Battery Miser caps now.  NO mess now because I made a “dipstick” and use it to fill with.  

Assuming you have the “tops” and not a sealed AGM, you gotta, I think, add and maintain the electrolyte….at least on the high quality Trojans.

Just make sure you know how to set up the Magnum remote for your AGM’s…it IS different….not all but some parameters.  I don’t know where the LBC should be set for AGM’s or the charging current.  More critical with AGM than wet flooded.  Folks have killed the AGM because of lack of knowing the idiosyncrasies of them and how to setup and take care of them.  Some went back as they got shorter life and spent 50% more and learned here.

Jeff and Tom, I appreciate all your info.  Yes, I am learning this as you said Jeff.  I am thankful I have all the manuals and utube things to learn. So I'm getting there understanding what you guys are saying. I'm just afraid of damaging my inverter.  I don't like the wet batteries you're right.  My Monaco doesn't have a battery slide, so I have to reach inside to test and clean the cables.  Gives me a headache.  Thank you for all your good advice, I'm grateful finding this site!!

I switched from flooded cell to AGM. Paid $179.00/ea (on sale) for 4 Duracell GC2AGMs at Sam’s Club.  My 2006 Magnum ME2012 plays just fine with them. Two years no mess no fuss.

After reading the manual and still having a few questions, I called Magnum Tech Support, gave them the battery brand and type, and they walked me through all the inverter settings for my specific batteries in about 10-15 minutes.

Update: The Duracell GC2AGMs are currently $217/ea at Sam’s Club.  Still a deal in my book  

The trick is a) finding a Sam’s Club that carries them, and b) finding one that has 4 in stock. 

With any luck, and a little TLC, they should last a few more years and I’ll think about LiPO4 or whatever’s next. 

• Like 1

Last year prior to my trip I wanted to replace my ~10 year old batteries with AGM.   I kept checking the nearest Sam's Club for AGM availability,  None in stock.  I did this for ~3 months. 

When my batteries crashed I had limited choices, I asked the Sam's store how long it would take to get AGM's, he couldn't tell me so I went with the flooded.  I would have gladly paid the difference for the AGM's but you gotta do what you gotta do.  

Just checked my local Sam's Club again, no AGM's in stock. 

Guest Ray Davis

I looked at Sams club yesterday in Dallas, no AGMs there either.  We hadn't belonged to Sams for yrs but in Amarillo a few wks back Sams was abut 50 cents cheaper for diesel so I told the wife the price difference will more than pay for joining, so we did. I wasn't the only one trying to squeeze in to fill up congestion doesn't describe it.

1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

I looked at Sams club yesterday in Dallas, no AGMs there either.  We hadn't belonged to Sams for yrs but in Amarillo a few wks back Sams was abut 50 cents cheaper for diesel so I told the wife the price difference will more than pay for joining, so we did. I wasn't the only one trying to squeeze in to fill up congestion doesn't describe it.

If I'm returning home from the north or west I go right by my Sam's club.  It usually has the cheapest diesel around so I plan to stop there on my way home.  Last Nov when I left on a trip I paid $3.16/gal and 2 weeks later on return it had only gone up to $3.18.  This was when the prices first started to move up.  During the whole trip I think I found only one other station cheaper, this was driving through Al, MS, TX, NM, AZ where you'd think there would be cheaper fuel. 

Now as a Prime member with the free shipping we are buying pretty much all our cleaning, kitchen, and bathroom supplies and along with some food items like coffee and snacks.  All free shipping right to our door.   Don't know how they do it but it's a heck of deal and saves me  trip into town and the gas money.   We will only stop at the club now if we are in town, no need to make a special 60 mile round trip.

Guest Ray Davis
10 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Now as a Prime member with the free shipping we are buying pretty much all our cleaning, kitchen, and bathroom supplies and along with some food items like coffee and snacks.  All free shipping right to our door.   Don't know how they do it but it's a heck of deal and saves me  trip into town and the gas money.   We will only stop at the club now if we are in town, no need to make a special 60 mile round trip.

Prime makes me think Amazon but we're talking Sams.  Does Sams have Prime too or am I not following, I have been know to not keep up so I'm told.   I claim selective hearing when it's convienent.

I us Prime even though I hate the idea it's killing so many stores, but when you live miles away it's amazing to have them deliver things out here. Occasionally on the same day.

The only Sam's clubs that carry the 6 volt AGM batteries seem to be East of the Mississippi.  I do not know why the others do not carry them.  I have had good luck with VMAX tanks.  Their XTR6-235 has been a very good battery for us.  My dad uses them in his golf cart, I put a set in my Mother's power scooter and I bought a set for my motorhome.  A set of 4 set me back about $1350 (shipped to my door).  I am sure they are not as good quality as the Trojan's, but they were significantly less expensive.  I would never go back to flooded batteries since I also do not have a sliding battery tray and servicing the flooded batteries was a real problem.  And, I hated the corrosion problems the flooded batteries created.  Good luck with your search.

Richard 

Gentlemen!  I got my batteries today, and watched utube on how to replace them...I drew a Map, taped cables and took before photos and after...I'm sure I did it exact but, when I went to attach the main negative last, oooh boy there was a spark,,,is this normal?? Scared the 💩💩 out of me so I stopped at the last terminal..are you able to tell from photos if it is a good hook up?  🤪 help!!

20220815_163533.jpg

20220815_174719.jpg

Getting a big spark when you reconnect the batteries is normal because of the electronics in the Magnum inverter.  From what I can tell from your pictures, your connections look correct as long as those new batteries are 6 volt.  A guy last week replaced his 6 volt batteries with 12 volt batteries, but connected them the same as the original 6 volt batteries.  He created a 24 volt battery bank.  No telling how much of his electronics he fried.

Richard

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hex_nut said:

Getting a big spark when you reconnect the batteries is normal because of the electronics in the Magnum inverter.  From what I can tell from your pictures, your connections look correct as long as those new batteries are 6 volt.  A guy last week replaced his 6 volt batteries with 12 volt batteries, but connected them the same as the original 6 volt batteries.  He created a 24 volt battery bank.  No telling how much of his electronics he fried.

Richard

If the MH was a Monaco Dynasty or higher from circa 2005, he did a world of hurts.  Wally World did that to one and it was in the $15 - $20K range as it fried the Multiplex CPU and popped most of the lights and such.  Don’t know about the inverter. Cost was so high as M&M electronics had to hunt and peck and restore the Intellitec program.  That was many years ago and pointed out the need for a copy of that program. UGLY!

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Best House Replacement Battery brands and opinions
35 minutes ago, Lolo1034 said:

Success!!! All batteries installed, no SNAFU's!!! called Magnum and they walked me through the new settings!!!! Thank you guys 😁

Good.  Magnum knows their stuff.  Only thing I would add.  Make sure the first setting or search watts is disabled.  That will drive you crazy with some electronics.

Since you have Maintenance Free batteries, I would be diligent about NOT discharging below say 11.8/.9 on the Magnum remote.  The actual battery voltage will be closer to 12.0 or 50% State or Charge (or Discharge is you like)

Here is a link to the battery.  Read the manual. It is really quite informative.  Be aware that you can not do a SG test on the batteries.  Exercise and run them down every 4 - 6 months and you will be good to go....

https://fullriverbattery.com/product/dc224-6/

On 8/14/2022 at 5:09 PM, Tom Cherry said:

Many of us old “buggy whip guys” swear by Trojan.T105.  I have had many well versed electrical techs say the same thing.  When a customer brought in a fully depleted set of batteries.  The shops, one was Lazy Days, would suggest refilling and recharging…which they did. If they were the OEM Interstate, then they would say…NEW.  If the customer paid for a recharge, odds are, 80% of the time the customer came back for a bank of Trojans.  That is straight from a SR. Tech that worked for LD for 15 years and had a good reputation from some folks that knew about him and we trusted. He went to work locally for a buddy that was an HR GM and I got to know him.  Many of us have got 8+ years out of them, but we are meticulous in electrolyte level and exercise or run them down for 2 or 3 cycles every 4 x 6 months.  That is because we are not boon dockers and do that every month or so.  If you elect to go Wet Cell and choose the Trojans….you will bet, properly cared for, long life.  Not so much for Interstate.  My OEM, and I bought it new, batteries, Interstate, lasted maybe 4 years….and two of the four were TRASH.  One had a shorted cell…and the other had a cell that failed, but did not short out.

Last time I checked on the local price for a poster, a set or back of 4 would be less than $700.  Or, with tax, under $750 out of pocket plus you cores. Most folks with experience also change out the incandescent bulbs to reduce consumption and if they have a Res Refrigerator, turn off the ice and use the energy saver mode why dry camping.  We also put power strips on our home entertainment centers and turn off the power as standby will suck up a lot of juice.  We easily, with a 4 bank unit and a short daily recharge  have no issues  

that assumes you want the stock  size which will fit into the OEM space.  Trojan makes a HUNK battery that delivers about 25% more juice.  But it is the much taller one.  It typically requires mods like yanking out the battery tray and the  lugging in a 90+ pound monster and then you have to thread your head (dangerous) inside the bay to do maintenance.  They are about 60% more….so the small increase in capacity comes at a still price.

I am on my second set of Trajans or three banks total.  I have camped or used the MH heavily, not full timing, and have over 700 nights out.  67K on the clock,  so I expect 3 more years….and if you take out the OEM’s I’m happy….

There are other members that prefer AGM.  The caveat is that you need to ensure that the charging profile is set up properly as you can fry an AGM by abusive charging or the wrong inverter/charger setup.  Many opt for the lower price AGM from Costco or Sam’s.  Typically more than. I believe now, $200 each.  Life expectancy varies….  If I were going that route, again Trojans….

Hope this helps,

My house battery voltage dropped to 12.7 and would not start my 12.5k generator unless I used the battery boost switch. I was somewhat perplexed because the previous owner had replaced the batteries in October 2021. After reading your post on the "buggy whip days", I decided to check the water level of my house batteries. While my starter batteries are sealed Interstate, my house batteries are Trojans. My research on flooded cell batteries called out the need to fully charge the batteries before adding water. So, I did that first.
I have eight house batteries. Four of them are on a slide out tray that opens horizontally which makes it easy to add water. The other four are on a slide out tray that opens vertically and the hatch door makes it impossible to add water without removing the batteries. That was a big chore but paid off when they took far more water than the easy to get to batteries. The previous owner relied on RV shops for service. Fortunately, the interior plates were all covered with water.

My house battery voltage went right up to 13.7 volts (it may have been slightly higher, but I forgot to write the voltage down) and my generator went back to normal stating.
Thank you so much for your very well explained battery post. I do hope my b batteries last as long as yours.
I do have a question with one part of your post: "Many of us have got 8+ years out of them, but we are meticulous in electrolyte level and exercise or run them down for 2 or 3 cycles every 4 x 6 months.". What is involved in the exercise or run-down recommendation?

Edited by Lee Smith
Spelling