Differential oil discussion - Type, Brand, Capacity, etc.capacity

Go to solution Solved by Frank McElroy,

MODERATOR's EDIT and NOTE.  This original, newly created topic Title read: 

Correct coolant filter for ES Compleat

However, the question was about differential oil. Coincidentally, it also was posted earlier than the Differential topic, so it is the "First" post....There is an active topic on this with a wealth of information.  This has been merged.

It is a requirement for all posters to do some searching prior to creating a new topic.  Thank for do such in the future.  In addition, when a topic title is incorrect, the original poster has up to 2 hours to edit or correct the content.  Past that, contact a moderator for editing and assistance. 

ORIGINAL POST

Hi all,

Getting ready to change my differential oil,  2000 Dynasty, Eaton differential. None of my literature has the capacity. 

Also, for those have changed theirs what lubricant did you use.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Edited by Tom Cherry
Topic Subject did not match the info request

I went with the MOBIL DELVAC.  Personal preference and a lot of folks like it.  The DELVAC products are the only ones I trust.  I think I only bought the 4 gallon skid.  Barely enough, but OK.  Read your manual or download a copy and consult the lube and capacity tables in the last section.

• Solution

Dana has a list of approved gear oils.  Mine came from the factory with synthetic gear oil and I kept it that way when I changed it.  As Tom mentioned, Mobil Delvac 75W90 synthetic is on the Dana approved list as are many other oils.  Attached is their list of approved oils.  Just because an oil says it meets the spec, that doesn't mean Dana will put it on their approved list.

DCVS-51049.pdf

Frank is yours a Dana or Eaton? I’ll have to call Eaton to find out about the Valvoline I used. It isn’t specifically listed there on that list. The list is 7 yrs old so I’ll see what they say. I just looked for the spec. Hopefully this is approved. 

17 hours ago, RVhorod said:

Hi all,

Getting ready to change my differential oil,  2000 Dynasty, Eaton differential. None of my literature has the capacity. 

Also, for those have changed theirs what lubricant did you use.

Thanks in advance for 

Edited by tmw188

34 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Frank is yours a Dana or Eaton? I’ll have to call Eaton to find out about the Valvoline I used. It isn’t specifically listed there on that list. The list is 7 yrs old so I’ll see what they say. I just looked for the spec. Hopefully this is approved. 

Mine is a DANA.   However, Eaton and Dana have the same specs.  I think the history goes something like in the late 90's Dana and Eaton agreed not to compete making the same products. But I'm fuzzy on how all that came about.  In our files is an approved oil list from 2007 with the Eaton name on it.  In reading it you will also see DANA for the axles and Eaton for transmissions.

Eaton Lubrication Manual - ct_070589.pdf

I'm glad for this post.  We bought our coach with 69K miles on it, and minimal maintenance records.  At 72K miles I lubed all the recommended chassis points, changed every filter and fluid I could find in the manual, but I missed the differential oil.  We now have 75K and it has probably never been changed.  So I guess it's time... I'm off to the trucking company that does my services this week!  Thanks gents!!

45 minutes ago, RVhorod said:

Thank you to all have replied to this thread, particularly Frank and Tom, your dedication to this site is truly amazing. What a wealth of knowledge you have assembled... Thank You!

You’re welcome,  This post is sort of a longer, albeit rambling commentary….so be forewarned.  I always learn a lot from the posts and also a bit of personal research as well as Frank’s background and info.  He may have to edit this…but the gist, in my mind, is this…

Allison developed the TES295 spec for Transynd.  Many oil refiners or formulators or manufactures can advertise that they have tested and that their product meets the Allison Specs.  This morning I saw a “SafetyKleen” website that THEY now have a line of high performance oils…..and SK is the number one oil recycler in the Nation and I spent a lot of money as the Environmental Director using them as well as auditing their locations.  BUT, I do “WONDER”….??

Based on a few conversations over the years with Frank and a lot of reading and a long one with TRW, Transynd is the gold standard.  If you visit the Allison site, they have a list of “Suppliers” that are Allison Transynd Certified.  That means that these  manufacturers have  submitted samples to Allison and paid the “fees” to be tested and are now, APPROVED.  I don’t know if this requires an annual registration or whatever.  BUT….there are only 6 or so companies that are on the ALLISON APPROVED/CERTIFIED list.  I also did a search and there are many government agencies that put out contracts for various lubricants and some require test data or others also specify “Allison Certification”.  Mobil DelVac is one that is also on the pre approved list as well.

OK…what exactly does that have to do with synthetic gear oil.  The POINT.  Mobil DelVac is one of the Allison Certified companies.  Mobil is also, in my gearhead’s opinion, the daddy rabbit of SYNTHETIC Lubricants.  That is why I chose DelVac for my differential and only use Mobil Synthetics for my other needs.  GM also uses them for many of the synthetic products for OEM and OEM repairs….and the synthetic lubes are necessary to meet the performance requirements as well as the fuel economy standards,  My C5 & C7 Vettes have “Mobil One” stickers on the factory engines.

I also talked extensively to TRW.  They had enough cross pollination from Allison in their management and engineering ranks to make a “Simple” decision.  They decided it was a waste of money to test synthetics….that Allison spent millions and wrote the “book” or specs. They then switched to TES295 with a preference for TES295 Allison Certified lubricant in all their high mileage or heavy duty lubrication requirements…..and that is a warranty requirement.  BINGO, I chose Transynd for replenishing my ATF based hydraulic system for coolant fans and power steering…as I have a TRW box.

From reading the two files that Frank posted, I never saw “SafetyKleen”, but Mobil DelVac was there….as well as others,

So, in retrospect when I had my differential’s non synthetic oil drains and replaced, I chose DelVac…..it was common sense and I trusted the brand name.

NOW…..having said all that….there IS one other salient point to be made here…. 

Monaco used BOTH regular as well as Synthetic gear oil during the last few years of pre bankruptcy manufacturing.  Frank’s Dynasty has a lower ratio than mine, even though we have the same engine…save the Jacob’s brake.  His is obviously heavier.  i also know, from a whole lot of reading, that there is a “tag”….supposedly, on the differential that denotes it as having SYNTHETIC.  It is OK to upgrade to a Synthetic, but if your MH already has a Synthetic, do NOT drain and refill with regular gear oil.  Mine was regular….why….nary a clue and the old Monaco tech support could not provide a logical explanation.

Hope this helps in explaining my recommendation and also provides a little more “layman’s” insight into the world of lubricants….and Frank has been a trusted resource for a lot of that….and coerced me into reading more and learning more….

Well I’m hoping this Valvoline will be fine because of the cost I’ve got invested. It meets the spec but is not on the approved list as shown. The one I bought doesn’t say anything about being heavy duty? It has all the other Specs for a limited slip and temperature so I’ll keep my fingers crossed hoping I’ll be OK with what I put in there. I think most of us would typically be sure we’re putting in what is spec out and in my manual which is 20 years old of course, its specs out synthetic with those other requirements. 

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Differential oil discussion - Type, Brand, Capacity, etc.capacity
2 hours ago, RVhorod said:

Thanks Tom for your insightful input on differential oil. 

I just ordered 4 gals of Delvac full synthetic gear oil 75w90 from Jegs. The best price I found $189.00. Their website says "in stock"... we will see...

THAT is a great price in today's market.  I paid $152 delivered to NC in 2014 for a flat of 4 one gallon Delvac Full Synthetic.  That was the BEST price around....from a firm in OH called "The Lubricant Store (Shop?)"

On 10/15/2022 at 2:19 PM, tmw188 said:

Well I’m hoping this Valvoline will be fine because of the cost I’ve got invested. It meets the spec but is not on the approved list as shown. The one I bought doesn’t say anything about being heavy duty? It has all the other Specs for a limited slip and temperature so I’ll keep my fingers crossed hoping I’ll be OK with what I put in there. I think most of us would typically be sure we’re putting in what is spec out and in my manual which is 20 years old of course, its specs out synthetic with those other requirements. 

So I spoke with Dana Spicer this morning and they told me that the oil spec and weight is fine base on what I read to them what was in the manual. It meets the spec. That’s good to know and appreciate the feed back of concern. 

19 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I believe the ES Compleat just needs a blank filter. 

18 hours ago, Steve P said:

Im slightly confused... Why is the topic "coolant filter" when the question is about differential lubricant?   If the OP or the moderator can fix that, the search feature will work better... for future searches. 

Also, there was a great thread on differential lubricants this past Friday that a search will turn up! 

The original poster asked for differential information but titled it as Coolant Filter.  This has been edited and merged and corrected.

As a note for ALL members, the general rules and expectations for posting include the following

PRIOR to creating a new topic, do some research using the SEARCH feature at the upper right.  The best method is to use one key word.  "Differential".  Then in the Drop Down, select the Topic Category.  Then read and see if there is an ongoing one.  In this case, the original posting was made shortly before the merged topic.

If there is an error in the Title or in the post(S), then please correct. I BELIEVE that a member can edit a topic title, within the 2 hour Edit/Correct window. That 2 hour limit definitely applies to post content.  if not or if questions, please contact a moderator and we will take care of this.

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Tom Cherry
Added comment about 2 hour Member editing limitation