Dusty road ;-(

Go to solution Solved by Rikadoo,

This no doubt a dumb question  but I live on a dusty road and have never had a 'pusher' before.

The rear end of the coach and the radiators get covered in dust..........  I realize I can blow off the dust.. but any 'smart' ways to prevent it entering the cooling area?image.jpeg.40d96d20bb71ec4289bbe77dedf611bd.jpegimage.jpeg.aeb34e4e9995e930113b89b23672b6dd.jpeg

No way to prevent it.

Get a power washer.

Drive slower

Get the road chlorided (to keep the dust down)

Monitor your air filter but don't open it up until you wash down the engine compartment to keep dirt from getting into the clean side of the filter which ends up in the motor (a bad day)

• Solution

Aside from move to a different spot, not really, im not sure if the fan that changes pitch with RPM fluctuations would help. Mine gets the same everytime we head out to Nevada to go play, things to watch out for is as the engine runs an creating “blow by” it too is being thrown at the radiator, mixed with the dust it starts to restrict airflow☹️ make sure you keep the radiator clean often, especially look from the inside towards the radiator to make sure it’s not

Plugging the fins up with the glop.

Many thanks folks.

I do not own the road and the state of the road is a bone of contention which others could care less about.

I have blown the sand off the rads but will buy a small electric blower to get to the engine from the inside.

L

You probably need to spray the radiator every year of so with a pump sprayer (like you use on weeds).  I mix a 4 part water and 1 part Simple Green and add a "dash" of Dawn dishwashing detergent.  Rinse the radiator first and get it wet.  Then spray it.  Both side, if you can.  Let it soak for maybe 5 minutes.  Then rinse with a garden hose....NOT A PRESSURE WASHER.  Run the engine...we do that on the side radiator MH....

Do not use a power washer. It will bend the fins. I wash the radiator from inside like Tom just described. Spraying the radiator with a water hose, front or back, will not get the water through the fins, too much weave back and forth.  The good part is starting the engine after rinsing from the inside, one heck of a soap bubble storm out the back.

Gary 05 AMB DST      

43 minutes ago, Happycarz said:

Simple Green Purple is the Simple Green you want that is safe for aluminum. 

https://simplegreen.com/cleaning-tips/surfaces/aluminum/

Many years ago we, on the original Yahoo site went down this path.  Simple Green is safe.  In addition diluting it makes it “even more”.  A myth that has been floating around.  

I married into a farming family, myself, I was in the trucking business, one thing I’ll share with you after cleaning radiators and after coolers on trucks and large farm equipment is use, compressed air first before you put the water to it, if you didn’t know! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jdw12345 said:

I married into a farming family, myself, I was in the trucking business, one thing I’ll share with you after cleaning radiators and after coolers on trucks and large farm equipment is use, compressed air first before you put the water to it, if you didn’t know! 

Interested to hear more about your process.  Thanks. 

44 minutes ago, BradHend said:

Interested to hear more about your process.  Thanks. 

Not much to it, compressor, air hose and an air nozzle. Don’t blow sideways against the fins.

https://www.northerntool.com/products/ironton-24in-air-blow-gun-49482?cm_mmc=Google-LIA&utm_source=Google_LIA&utm_medium=Air Tools %2B Compressors > Air Tools %2B Accessories > Air Blow Guns&utm_campaign=Ironton&utm_content=49482&ogmap=SHP|LIA|GOOG|STND|c|SITEWIDE|||||19587500873|142201200701&gclid=CjwKCAjwitShBhA6EiwAq3RqA75oroJwJkTEhgMmmcquTpXmlOj2BZS11gwsMZqpbdSZIGgPPKNItBoC8dwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If the heat exchanger (of any type) has any oil residue on it, after blowing it as clean as possible with air, we’d use Gunk Engine Cleaner, original non foaming, spray it all down let it sit for 30 minutes the use garden hose with a spray nozzle, nothing to fancy, and rinse.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I plan on using air filters velcroed inside the rear doors when I go down our dusty road.......... I do realise some of the dust could be forced into the 'coach side' of the rads.

However, the engine/trans/cables/wires gets covered in oil mist seconded by dust. I have tried to blow it off from the bedroom access panels but wonder, what damage can I do to the Engine etc if I use compressed air?

L