Hydraulic fan finally fixed, unbelievable solution!!!!

I had to have my hydraulic cooling radiator replaced about a 18 months ago and ever since we got it back the hydraulic fan has been revving up and down most of the time and almost as soon as I started it and it has gotten faster and louder in the past few weeks. I read all of your posts I could find and other forums as well but none of the suggested fixes worked for me. I new that when they changed the cooler that they did not change the filter as they did not have and could not get one because of COVID issues. I was told by an older diesel mechanic I know to change the filter and put a zip-lock bag over it and catch everything that comes out of the filter and the filter itself in the bag so I did as he instructed and when I did I found one of those red cone shaped plugs that was apparently in the ends of the cooler that was not removed at installation and got sucked into the filter and was bouncing around inside the top of the filter clogging the flow ports. I put on the new filter and started it up today and fan is running slowly and as quietly as it did before the cooler was replaced.

20230524_171823.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That is a neat way to see what was captured by your filter, using a plastic bag. I have to remember that if I have an issue, let’s say fuel. It’s sure easier that cutting the filter apart, though would still be necessary if nothing appeared in the plastic bag.

What a great find for you. Check that one off your list.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steve Merritt said:

I had to have my hydraulic cooling radiator replaced about a 18 months ago and ever since we got it back the hydraulic fan has been revving up and down most of the time and almost as soon as I started it and it has gotten faster and louder in the past few weeks. I read all of your posts I could find and other forums as well but none of the suggested fixes worked for me. I new that when they changed the cooler that they did not change the filter as they did not have and could not get one because of COVID issues. I was told by an older diesel mechanic I know to change the filter and put a zip-lock bag over it and catch everything that comes out of the filter and the filter itself in the bag so I did as he instructed and when I did I found one of those red cone shaped plugs that was apparently in the ends of the cooler that was not removed at installation and got sucked into the filter and was bouncing around inside the top of the filter clogging the flow ports. I put on the new filter and started it up today and fan is running slowly and as quietly as it did before the cooler was replaced.

20230524_171823.jpg

Thank you for posting this follow up and the solution to your problem.  Mistakes can happen - but it's unfortunate.

I recall in the early '80's buying a car made in Japan and at that time USA emission systems needed to be installed in the states (port of entry was Newark NJ).  After a few weeks, I developed a vacuum leak.  Upon investigation I found a vacuum hose with a clean razor cut.  Car was in my garage and I just sort of blew it off.  Then at about 100,000 miles, a filter screen in the carb plugged.  Replaced it but still low fuel flow.  Did more investigation and found an orange seed stuck in the fuel line.  I do all my own service, so my conclusion is that those doing the USA emission refits on cars shipped from Japan weren't all too happy.  Car ran great every since until I sold it with just under 300,000 miles on it but with some weight reduction (aka - rust).  At the time I recalled the old saying from my Father, you don't buy a car made on a Monday or a Friday.  I guess at the time that also applied to imports where emission compliant systems needed to be added by auto workers in the states.  Today most imports are actually made here in the states.

Guest Ray Davis
9 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

That sucks!

My '07 built coach has the restriction gauge on the filter head.

Interesting,  my 03 coach doesn't have a screw-on-type hydraulic filter.  Mine is 3 stacked filters inside the hydraulic tank/reservoir.   I'm sure you have a reservoir too, but does it have filters inside, or rely on the external filter?

Curious, what sort of readings do you see on the restriction gauge?

8 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Interesting,  my 03 coach doesn't have a screw-on-type hydraulic filter.  Mine is 3 stacked filters inside the hydraulic tank/reservoir.   I'm sure you have a reservoir too, but does it have filters inside, or rely on the external filter?

Curious, what sort of readings do you see on the restriction gauge?

FWIW….Monaco was totally inconsistent.  

Typically the larger 3 filter Nelson reservoir did NOT come with the spin on Hydraulic filter with the pressure gauge.  These were used on most of the coaches, i don’t think model, dependent until circa 06/07.  Everyone told me i was crazy when i posted that i had only ONE filter circa 2011/12.

Mine has the smaller reservoir with the single filter inside, but does have the pressure filter/Guage.  I have ATF and have never seen any movement in the gauge.

OK….BUT, I have been told that some models that, after the conversion to the smaller single filter reservoir, only had the single filter reservoir and NO Pressure Filter.  That one, i think, had AW46.

ALL have or should have had or must have the reservoir….odd’s are…Ben has the smaller (maybe 2 gallons) SINGLE filter reservoir…

That’s just the way it is.  NOW…..were there some larger 3 filter reservoirs that DID have the additional pressure filter?  Maybe.

Trying to figure out why Monaco did something and the logic behind it is like trying to guess what will happen in Washington or what the “ensemble” will vote on or pass….or not pass.  LOL.

Suffice it to say that contaminated fluid or lack of filtration has not been a hotly discussed topic.  The only thing that comes up, and this is NOT for the lack of filtration, is the AW46 being prone to expansion at zero or so and blowing up the “CAC” stack as well as hoses.  The pumps fail, as would be expected….but not a high incidence item.  The “frequency” of changing such is highly subjective and the info in the manual is not in accordance with what TRW recommends for our lightly used steering boxes.

Mine had ATF.  I changed the filter around 20 or 30K.  I replenished, per TRW’ recommendation, the reservoir with Transynd.  Around 50K, i did the same.  I put in a new pressure filter at 30K.  The gauge was still high or in the green.  I used Transynd again.  I have a pressure filter, but chose not to change….. and will probably replace it in a year or so….past that….i worry not….

6 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

FWIW….Monaco was totally inconsistent.  

Typically the larger 3 filter Nelson reservoir did NOT come with the spin on Hydraulic filter with the pressure gauge.  These were used on most of the coaches, i don’t think model, dependent until circa 06/07.  Everyone told me i was crazy when i posted that i had only ONE filter circa 2011/12.

Mine has the smaller reservoir with the single filter inside, but does have the pressure filter/Guage.  I have ATF and have never seen any movement in the gauge.

OK….BUT, I have been told that some models that, after the conversion to the smaller single filter reservoir, only had the single filter reservoir and NO Pressure Filter.  That one, i think, had AW46.

ALL have or should have had or must have the reservoir….odd’s are…Ben has the smaller (maybe 2 gallons) SINGLE filter reservoir…

That’s just the way it is.  NOW…..were there some larger 3 filter reservoirs that DID have the additional pressure filter?  Maybe.

Trying to figure out why Monaco did something and the logic behind it is like trying to guess what will happen in Washington or what the “ensemble” will vote on or pass….or not pass.  LOL.

Suffice it to say that contaminated fluid or lack of filtration has not been a hotly discussed topic.  The only thing that comes up, and this is NOT for the lack of filtration, is the AW46 being prone to expansion at zero or so and blowing up the “CAC” stack as well as hoses.  The pumps fail, as would be expected….but not a high incidence item.  The “frequency” of changing such is highly subjective and the info in the manual is not in accordance with what TRW recommends for our lightly used steering boxes.

Mine had ATF.  I changed the filter around 20 or 30K.  I replenished, per TRW’ recommendation, the reservoir with Transynd.  Around 50K, i did the same.  I put in a new pressure filter at 30K.  The gauge was still high or in the green.  I used Transynd again.  I have a pressure filter, but chose not to change….. and will probably replace it in a year or so….past that….i worry not….

Mine has the big outside filter and one filter inside the reservoir. 

41 minutes ago, Pduggs said:

Mine has the big outside filter and one filter inside the reservoir. 

I’m assuming that you do NOT have the Pressure Filter.  I was told this also….but thanks for the confirmation…..  

NOW….do you have the straw colored AW46 or the RED ATF?

Guest Ray Davis
33 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Hard to tell but the oil looks dark. 

I'd consider getting an oil analysis. 

Yes,  I noticed that too.  I wonder what type of fluid it has?   It might be a good time for a complete hydraulic fluid & filters change.

42 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Hard to tell but the oil looks dark. 

I'd consider getting an oil analysis. 

Not a bad idea…..but the other option, assuming no major contamination, is to drain (syphon out or pump) the reservoir and replenish with Transynd or the Mobil Delvac equivalent.  However, some knowledge folks that have the “we NEVER used hydraulic fluid (oil) after 2006” DID from the factory, have the AW46 and don’t have the 3 filter reservoir, only the one and NO pressure filter…. They are content to rock on….

If you start the conversion…..do it again in 3 years….and will bd fine….per TRW…

2 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Yes,  I noticed that too.  I wonder what type of fluid it has?   It might be a good time for a complete hydraulic fluid & filters change.

I agree with old change for sure but if there was a restriction in the line it could have caused some problems with the pump and motor.  I'd do an oil analysis looking for any signs of metal.  If there are it is probably only a matter of time before something completely fails. 

I buy 3 kits at a time from JG Lubrication (there are others) and the cost is ~$30, well worth my piece of mind to do oil/coolant analysis on my engine and transmission. 

The fluid doesn't appear dark to me. You can read the writing on the filter through the fluid and the bag, lower left corner of the filter.

What puzzles me is why in some coaches there would be this huge spin on hydraulic filter PLUS one inside the reservoir.

My Windsor had the three stack-able filters inside the reservoir whereas my Dynasty has the one huge spin-on filter on the outside with nothing in the reservoir. In fact there is no way to even get inside the reservoir except for changing or adding fluid.

Edited by Dr4Film

9 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

What puzzles me is why in some coaches there would be this huge spin on hydraulic filter PLUS one inside the reservoir.

My Windsor had the three stack-able filters inside the reservoir whereas my Dynasty has the one huge spin-on filter on the outside with nothing in the reservoir. In fact there is no way to even get inside the reservoir except for changing or adding fluid.

Myself and a member with a similar coach were both considering just eliminating the internal filter, and allowing the 10 micron spin-on filter do it's job.

After reading your post, it sounds like it does just fine on it's own.

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

The fluid doesn't appear dark to me. You can read the writing on the filter through the fluid and the bag, lower left corner of the filter

Uhh, I don't know I'm seeing the oil in the bowl,  it looks pretty dark to me,  nearly like diesel motor oil.

Anyway, when I replaced my pump I placed a plastic tub/pan under the steering gearbox, took a hose loose, and let it drain pretty much all of the oil 

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

I’m assuming that you do NOT have the Pressure Filter.  I was told this also….but thanks for the confirmation…..  

NOW….do you have the straw colored AW46 or the RED ATF?

AW46

4 minutes ago, Pduggs said:

AW46

Bingo.  MONACO reverted back, but the ever knowing “Jim” in tech support swore up and down that it was ONLY ATF used after 05/06.  He even commented that my owners manual was wrong as those idiots that wrote them didn’t get out to see what was going on.  I refrained from saying the folks that were building should MILT”f”P more….Make It Like The Print….

You are the second Dynasty with the single filter reservoir and no pressure filter and AW46…. I’ll wager a nickel that you have the ISL 425.

AS I said, no consistency….we, here, probably analyze and debate more than the Monaco folks did…

Thanks…

1 minute ago, Tom Cherry said:

Bingo.  MONACO reverted back, but the ever knowing “Jim” in tech support swore up and down that it was ONLY ATF used after 05/06.  He even commented that my owners manual was wrong as those idiots that wrote them didn’t get out to see what was going on.  I refrained from saying the folks that were building should MILT”f”P more….Make It Like The Print….

You are the second Dynasty with the single filter reservoir and no pressure filter and AW46…. I’ll wager a nickel that you have the ISL 425.

AS I said, no consistency….we, here, probably analyze and debate more than the Monaco folks did…

Thanks…

I do have the ISL 425.