Radio fuse blowing issues - 2006 Diplomat

I have a 2006 Diplomat. The original stereo worked just fine. When I put the coach in storage I turned off the coach and house batteries. I got the coach out of storage this past weekend and when I turned the power back onto the coach my radio would not work. I checked the fuse in the fuse panel and it was blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again. I wanted to upgrade my stereo anyways so I purchased a new stereo and installed it. I replaced the blown fuse and it blew again. Not sure where to go from here, There must be a loose ground somewhere. I was told to find another positive wire under the dash and splice into that. Has anyone else had something similar or any other advice? Thanks inm advance.

I suspect meeces! 

You could try and follow the wire from fuse panel to radio (using a wiring diagram with color coded wire designations) but you'll most likely give up and splice into another wire of equal amperage. 

Good luck,

- bob

You could tap into another power source but for me that would be the last resort. It can cause other issues a some point like knowing where the new fuse is in the future.

I would at least try this this first: Remove the fuse and disconnect the power plug from the radio. Now put a continuity tester across the power lead and the ground lead of the power plug. A powered light will work but a meter with a buzzer is better. If you do have a short the meter will be buzzing. Then follow the wires back from the plug as far as you can till they disappear into some into some inaccessibly spot. Inspect and wiggle them and if the buzzer gets intermittent you know you're close to the problem. If the buzzer never changes then the problem may not be under the dash. You can perform the same test any where the wires are accessible.

If that doesn't turn up the problem then my next choice would be to run a new power line from the fuse to the radio and if that seems too labor intensive for you then you can look for a new power source. Be sure to fuse it and leave instructions somewhere for the fuse location.

I just discovered why my radio quit working.... there is a three pin connector that holds the switched power, the ground and a "Keep Alive" wires .... seems that the 'keep alive' wire has no power (12v).  Jumping the connector between the switched power and that keep alive wire and the radio works (but loses all it's settings when power switch (on the coach not the radio power switch)) is cycled off.... Now the challenge is tracing the purple or lavender colored keep alive wire to it's power source... I have not found the fuse for this but I have not found any bad fuses either, so probably a mouse had a snack!

Still searching...

Edited by Cubflyer
clarified text

2 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

I just discovered why my radio quit working.... there is a three pin connector that holds the switched power, the ground and a "Keep Alive" wires .... seems that the 'keep alive' wire has no power (12v).  Jumping the connector between the switched power and that keep alive wire and the radio works (but loses all it's settings when power switch (on the coach not the radio power switch)) is cycled off.... Now the challenge is tracing the purple or lavender colored keep alive wire to it's power source... I have not found the fuse for this but I have not found any bad fuses either, so probably a mouse had a snack!

Still searching...

Check you passenger side rear electrical bay, that is where my radio memory wire gets it's power.  I believe it is on the copper bar with the small circuit breakers attached.

Edited by jacwjames

8 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

passenger side rear electrical bay

Down below the floor by the inverter or batteries?  Or in the upper cabinet in the bedroom with most of the 12vdc fuses and the 120v ac panel?  I have that upper electrical panel area all apart, and found some chewed on wires and a mouse nest complete with dead mice.  Have not found any broken wires yet, just missing insulation.  Still 'hunting'

7 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I suspect meeces! 

You could try and follow the wire from fuse panel to radio (using a wiring diagram with color coded wire designations) but you'll most likely give up and splice into another wire of equal amperage. 

Good luck,

- bob

Me too.  When the buggers got me it was pex in the wall between the bedroom and the shower.   Good luck.

If you have a "radio" switch in your bedroom, try flipping it to its other position and see if the "short" goes away. 

I am assuming you are replacing with the proper size fuse? Sorry, have to ask what size you are using. Any size fuse should not blow instantly and does indicate a serious short. As mentioned, a bad ground will NOT blow a fuse. 

It can be a nightmare chasing a short like this.

Grab a cheap 12 volt test light. Run some 12 volts to the alligator clip. That is normally connected to ground. This will apply 12 volts to the light and when you touch the probe to ground, it will light up.

With this safe voltage/current probe, connect it to the "shorted" power lead. It should shine brightly. Now as you chase the wiring looking for a short, the light will go out if you happen to lift the wire off a sharp screw or edge for example.  A buzzer muffled by lots of tape can be used in place of the probe. 

All great suggestions for each of the posters that have issues.  Couple of comments, 

Monaco may have done the same wiring on yours as the Camelots.  But understanding the circuits is rhe best way to start troubleshooting

There are two power sources or wires going to the radio.  Monaco was inconsistent, but typically, the main radio fuse runs off an ignition lead.  However,mifmthe radio works with the ignition off, it is still on the chassis battery.  The “keep alive” is actualky called a memory that keeps the clock running and your presets in memory.  I would pull the wiring harness from the radio pigtsil. Then put in s new fuse.  If it blows, you have a ground or short in the power circuit.  Use a test light or a VOM to verify voltage, as well as the full power for both the circuits.  Plugged into shore, the memory circuit will have a higher voltage.

Next.  If you have a home entertainment system or such that has a separate receiver or amplifier, then it PROBABLY shares the two front speakers.  There is an electronic relay that switches the front speakers.  The default is the speakers feeding (normally closed) from the stereo.  When the radio comes on, the “power antenna” wire energizes the relay somthat the two front speakers are playing the radio’s input or sognal.

Next up is the type of radio.  Some radios (I used to install car stereos and new speakers for buddies and never left anything along in my rides…LOL), like in GM’s have isolated Positive and Negative speaker wires.  If you out 12 VDC or Ground out EITHER connection, it blows a IC chip which is a pain to get off properly and reinstall a new one.  OTHER systems are more primitive and basic.  The Chassis of the radio is grounded.  You can then run only the Positive from the Speaker output and ground out the other speaker terminal….it works.  But in modern digital radios, you can get a ground loop HUM.  The way to check the type of count wires.

If you get the name of your radio and Monaco used a lot of Magnadynes, you can get s wiring diagram.  Likewise, it IS in your wiring diagrams.  Monaco provides way more info on HEC and Radios than they do on the critical components….sheesh.  There will be, probably, 4 pairs of speaker wires.  Front right and left.  Probably rear right and left.  You have to adjust the fader (front to rear) knob or control to the MIDDLE.  Then you get an equal volume to each.  The rear radio switch is strictly an ON/OFF for the speakers.  At least on mine,  it does NOT turn off the power.

IF the fuses stay OK, when the power connector/speakers is not plugged in, then there is no short or dead ground to power.  If they blow….short.  One of two fixes….trace and find how the power wire gets to the fuse…. OR abandon.  You probably have a CB radio plug.  i would steal power, using an inline fuse holder with the same size fuse as the main radio and drive on…

Otherwise….maybe an internal radio short.  Taking it out and having a car stereo shop check it.  BUT carry a copy of the wiring from your manual….

OR….maybe a short somewhere and one of the speakers is grounded and is the issue.

Good Luck….let us know,

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Radio fuse blowing issues - 2006 Diplomat

Thanks... I'm gonna work on it the first part of next week when it cools down some and I'll let you know what I come up with. I really appreciate all the input from everyone.