Overall MH & Trailer Lengths regarding the “65 Ft” regulation - questions and concerns

cowpoke

From what I think the maximum length of Motor Home and trailer is suppose to be 65'. With the set up I'm working on the coach is 45' and the trailer 20', that comes to 65', my problem is when you add the trailer hitch you'd be around 68'. I guess what I'm wondering is how sticky are they on the 65' and if they are, can you get a over length permit. I imagine every State has their own twist on things and perhaps I'm opening a whole can of worms. Perhaps someone out there has tried something similar to what I'd like to do and can shed some light on this for me. Would appreciate any advise or info on the subject.. Thank you all..

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

From what I've heard, they don't seem to mess with RVs.  That doesn't mean they won't or can't especially if they stop you for something else.   I talked to a man in Quartzite pulling a 5th wheel and trailer, he was like 80ft long.  He said he had never been stopped.  I don't think I would pull 80ft, especially in Calif, They seem to be pretty strict.

I've seen them going down the road and pretty sure some were over the 65' mark so wondered how strict they were. I'll be three to four feet over so maybe I'll go for it.  Thanks for the info, will help  me in making the decision in what to do...Appreciate the input

Thanks for the input Steven, think I will go for it---I'll be about three to four feet over, and some states I won't even be to their max. I imagine I'll run into the odd problem having a trailer at some of the RV parks but hopefully can deal with that. Not much of a fan blasting my car being towed down the road....

• Like 1

I have flat towed a pickup for 8+ years. I am very peticular with me vehicles and I have never noticed and damage to my vehicles towing them. It is certainly easier dealing with a towed over a trailer and would highly recommend it. 

• Like 4

I hauled a 30 foot Pace Cargo Trailer for over 8 years around the lower 48, Canada & Alaska.

I was almost 72 feet in length or even a few feet more if you add in the mirrors and bike rack hanging off the back of the trailer.

Never questioned anywhere. Although, I stayed away from the "hot spots" like the Glamis area of I-8 in California.

Yes, I hear you Steven and you're probably right saying less problems towing when it comes to RV parks and I have been towing.. I'd like to take my Vette the odd winter and I will not Tow the Vette.

Thanks Richard I'll steer clear of California... I understand you need a higher class drivers license to pull a trailer in California, not sure if that's right or not. I have a class one so that part wouldn't be a issue. Wondering if you still pull a trailer or if you've gave that up and if so why?? Appreciate your input .

49 minutes ago, cowpoke said:

Thanks Richard I'll steer clear of California... I understand you need a higher class drivers license to pull a trailer in California, not sure if that's right or not. I have a class one so that part wouldn't be a issue. Wondering if you still pull a trailer or if you've gave that up and if so why?? Appreciate your input .

When pulling the cargo trailer we had everything we owned and full-timed during those years. After we purchased the house in Florida, I sold the cargo trailer as it wasn't needed any longer. Unfortunately, my 2-car garage is now over flowing with "stuff" Where does it all come from? LOL.

We are now part-time RV'ers, Six months at home during the winter and six months normally up in the New England area for the summer generally in the mountains somewhere Workamping. Flat-towing our 06 Saturn Vue is a joy versus the trailer. It will be tough to replace that car.

• Like 1

At 68' I seriously doubt you'll have any trouble.  I'm probably slightly over the limit as well and have never been questioned.

It MAY be a problem if you ever had an accident.  An opposing attorney could use that against you, whether or not it was relevant to the crash. 🤬

I talked to the California HP and even the “enforcement” head about the issues of some roads and motorhomes and towing and LENGTH “stupid laws”.  He said it was NOT a top priority and there were never any concerted effort to target folks unless it was a “gross issue” and that it was up to each individual trooper to exercise his judgement.  By the same token, folks had posted on the old forum about carrying the sales brochure and all sorts of documentation to “PROVE and CONVINCE” a CHIPS that they were wrong should they get pulled over.  He sort of chuckled and said having such to show you are legal, as ambiguous as the statute was, was probably a great way to get cited…..or worse.

Personally, know the restrictions in California and there is a GREAT map and easy to use on CA DOT website by geographic zone and the regs and the specific roads.  Only a few are an issue….so we drove up the coast and avoided the main road that most take to he the North Bound interstate to cross over into Oregon,  great drive….NOW, that is only if you should want to venture within that state.  Otherwise drive on and smile and say….I didn’t KNOW.  Or always have a young female passenger with an ample chest and low cut blouse…. LOL…

BTW…. The CHIPS enforcement officer would NOT clarify the simple question of what is the Length?  The published or advertised length as mine is a “40” of the spec sheet/sales brochure that shows it closer to 41 ft….or if you measured it….that is how some of the other state laws may be written….and he said that there was no published guidelines for establishing such….YES…that was the gist of a 20 minute conversation….It DEPENDS and every CHIP trooper might do or interpret it differently….

• Like 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Overall MH & Trailer Lengths regarding the “65 Ft” regulation - questions and concerns

Thank you all for your input, it was all very useful and a big help in deciding which way to go. I'm sure there will be challenges with a trailer but for me I believe a trailer is the way to go. I like the idea of being able to back up if needed as well. If it doesn't work out, sell the trailer and go back to the toad.

I appreciate all of your opinions and ideas and experience. That is what I really like about this site, you can learn from others...

And Tom, My wife was not impressed with your suggestion of the young female passenger with ample chest and low cut blouse----I thought it was a good idea!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 4 months later...

Have travels at 84 feet in iowa South Dakota wyoming montana. North Dakota.  Have had vehicle enforcement pass me  on the interstate and could care less. A friend with a tow business told me he had never ever has been called to tow in an rv over length in over 30 years. There are states I would question towing that length tho.

When we were 72' and my son was 76', we traveled from WI to ID, AZ, NM, TX, MO and IL. When we went into CA, I bought a $13 permit good for 7 days. The rest of the group didn't bother. We were never questioned. I was told the LEO would not bother with an RV. That would probably change if the length was somehow the cause of an incident of some kind.   

Edited by Venturer

In CA do you gear down religiously and follow the 55 MPH speed limit with semis and cars constantly weaving around you? Or on two lane CA roads with them attempting to pass you into oncoming traffic often whipping back in just inches in front of your bumper? Or do you reduce the traffic hazard and match majority of the trucks' speed?  At least CA isn't quite as nerve racking as South Africa with their 80/120 KPH limits and four streams of traffic on two lane roads!

We live near Sacramento. Usually if on freeways and driving slower than 80-85 in a car you are getting passed and cut off. I drive my coach at around 65 which is close to what most of the trucks do. That’s usually not a problem except when someone cuts in front and hits the brakes.