Tire Inflation Video

Scotty Hutto

I remember these kinds of videos from drivers ed or auto mechanics classes. Scary stuff. 

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

I knew our wheels & tires were dangerous but that is still shocking.   It's good to be reminded. 

I think the first guy was a dummy,  ha ha,  literally.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so here’s what I ended up doing…

I have a Jaco tire inflator that I really like. It’s been very dependable and the gauge is accurate. 

IMG_6979.thumb.jpeg.76fff9f596e6e6b98e53580d11394d06.jpeg

I bought a 6’ 1/4” air hose rated at 300 psi and replaced the short braided steel hose. 

IMG_6981.thumb.jpeg.eda52559d921a38dfa9e0a39ae5fb036.jpeg

Voila’!   I’m able to air up my coach tires and stand back a ways. Maybe a false sense of security, but I feel safer…

Here are the products I used, if anyone is interested:

6' 1/4' 300 psi Air Hose

JACO FlowPro Digital Tire Inflator with Pressure Gauge - 200 PSI

Brass Pipe Fitting, Adapter, 1/8" Male Pipe x 1/4" Female Pipe

• Like 2

I REALLY DON'T LIKE connecting to the coach's air tap in the FRB - It's just above the ABS module and when I disconnect the long hose it's pretty violent.  So . . . . I bought a few female couplers and will connect at the front towing coupler that has an on/off valve.  With the double coupler I can turn off the supply valve and slowly release hose air through the tire valve chuck.

My inside left rear is losing 1 - 2 pounds each week.  New tires and new extender hose didn't change the leak, so it's either a leaky rim, leaky tire stem or a leaky valve mounted TPMS sensor.  Maybe I'll pull the sensor and see if it still leaks . . . .

- bob

On 12/6/2023 at 8:52 AM, cbr046 said:

I REALLY DON'T LIKE connecting to the coach's air tap in the FRB - It's just above the ABS module and when I disconnect the long hose it's pretty violent.  So . . . . I bought a few female couplers and will connect at the front towing coupler that has an on/off valve.  With the double coupler I can turn off the supply valve and slowly release hose air through the tire valve chuck.

My inside left rear is losing 1 - 2 pounds each week.  New tires and new extender hose didn't change the leak, so it's either a leaky rim, leaky tire stem or a leaky valve mounted TPMS sensor.  Maybe I'll pull the sensor and see if it still leaks . . . .

- bob

I would not do that. 

14 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Reason?

- b

Read your manual. 

TWO different air access points for TWO different reasons/applications. 

Put a valve on the coach air access for airing up tires AFTER the female quick disconnect. You can eliminate the pressure in the air line before dis connect. 

20 minutes ago, Paul J A said:

Read your manual. 

TWO different air access points for TWO different reasons/applications. 

Put a valve on the coach air access for airing up tires AFTER the female quick disconnect. You can eliminate the pressure in the air line before dis connect. 

TWO different air access points - The front male connector is for the air bags . . . maybe not a direct line to the tanks?

Put a valve after the disconnect - That was my first choice but there's no room.  Same for before the disconnect.  My best bet is for a short hose and valve after the disconnect so I'm outside the FRB. 

The manual doesn't say not to use the front male connector, but I do wonder if there isn't more to it than that . . . .

- b

1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

I think the male fitting with the valve that you want to use is for charging air 'into' your tanks.

Don't know if it would make a difference to get air out of your tank.

YEP!!

1 hour ago, cbr046 said:

TWO different air access points - The front male connector is for the air bags . . . maybe not a direct line to the tanks?

Put a valve after the disconnect - That was my first choice but there's no room.  Same for before the disconnect.  My best bet is for a short hose and valve after the disconnect so I'm outside the FRB. 

The manual doesn't say not to use the front male connector, but I do wonder if there isn't more to it than that . . . .

- b

Make room. Nothing sacred with the plumbing of that. Move it where you can utilize it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I think this is the ticket - https://www.amazon.com/WYNNsky-Threads×1-Compressor-Accessories-Fittings/dp/B07G36JWTK/ between the air hose threads and the air hose coupler.  It's SMALL enough I think there's room.

- bob

I don't understand what that helps.   The coupler has an internal valve that closes when you disconnect the hose.

37 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

I don't understand what that helps.   The coupler has an internal valve that closes when you disconnect the hose.

but not the hose - that's where the "explosion" comes from - It's 25 ft (or more).  I want to disconnect the hose then release the air (from the hose).

- bob

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

but not the hose - that's where the "explosion" comes from - It's 25 ft (or more).  I want to disconnect the hose then release the air (from the hose).

- bob

Gotcha.

I have air hoses up to 100' long in my shop, and I haven't noticed anything I'd call an "explosion".
I just make sure to have a grip on the hose when I disconnect, so it can't whip around in the couple seconds it takes for the pressure to bleed off.

A valve in the hose after the coupler could help, but it may also restrict airflow somewhat.

2 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

I have air hoses up to 100' long in my shop, and I haven't noticed anything I'd call an "explosion".

Pulling the coupler out just above the ABS control module . . . . my hand could slip and /or the sudden burst of air in FRB.  Aren't those ABS modules extinct now?  *PLUS* my head, and ears, are right down almost inside the FRB during disconnect.  It's pretty loud with the confined area.

- b

• Like 1

I must be old school… I carry a pancake compressor in my truck (toad). I do have a long hose to connect to the coach, if needed, but I haven’t done that in years.  

I'm sort of a belt AND suspenders type guy when it comes to tires…

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

I must be old school… I carry a pancake compressor in my truck (toad). I do have a long hose to connect to the coach, if needed, but I haven’t done that in years.  

I'm sort of a belt AND suspenders type guy when it comes to tires…

I do the same.

With diesel here over$7 a gal, I see no point in running a diesel engine to put a bit of air in my E-bike tires!

• Like 1